Ford Transit Quigley vs Sprinter 4x4?

uglybaby

Observer
Hello, van campers...

I believe it's finally time to make the leap from my Tacoma to a van, which has been a long-term goal for me. I've narrowed it down to Sprinters and Transits (I want the vertical space inside without a pop-top) and have been reading everything I can find on them. They each have pros and cons (engines, chassis sizes, mpgs, maintenance costs, etc) which I'll avoid here so as not to bog down this thread. The question I have for the group is: what do you think about the Sprinter 4x4 system vs. a Quigley 4x4 system installed on a Transit?

Some people will argue that the electronics in the Sprinter make it less of a "true" 4x4 system, but if I'm not mistaken those are not far off from the concept inside the new Land Rover systems. Is this better/worse than Quigley's system? Neither the Sprinter nor Quigley system comes packaged with front or rear lockers, so that is not a primary consideration (though I would consider adding a rear locker to the Quigley if possible). The 4x4 Sprinter is raised 4" over its 2wd counterpart (according to the literature) but Quigley lifts the Transit only 2" - this will probably affect available tire sizes, which of course will impact off-road capability in itself...

I have no experience with either system, so any ideas or experiences you can share would be most welcome.

Also, FWIW, optioning the 2 vans similarly and adding 4x4 to the Transit brings the MSRPs to roughly: $58k (short/tall Sprinter) and $52k (short/med Transit). Unfortunately, there aren't used examples of these for sale yet.

Thanks!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Good luck with figuring this out. There are arguments for and against either, and you could--and maybe someone will--write an essay on how to make the decision.

I'm only going to offer you three thoughts. The first is that even with the biggest gnarliest tires, these 4WD vans won't qualify as any sort of hard-core trail rig. Overall size, suspension limitations and limited tire size work against it. Not that the 4x4 on either truck isn't worthy. It makes going places where you might hit mud or snow a lot more practical and less stressful. What I tell people is that it's best to view it as "helping assure success on your travels," but it is not the sort of vehicle you use for the express purpose of going wheelin'. You may not find an investment in lockers and other serious off-roading stuff to be worthwhile.

The second point is that the Sprinters have a lot of good features, but the number of places to get them serviced and repaired is waaay smaller, possibly just a tenth as many. It's pretty easy to find someplace with a Ford dealer vs. a Freightliner or MBenz dealer set up to work on them (and not all MB dealerships are). If you have a nearby Sprinter service center that you like, you're good to go, but don't buy one without understanding the limitations on service locations.

Finally, I don't know whether you or members of your family will find the step-in height to be an issue in either van. It's a ways from the ground to the cab floor on either one, but the bigger lift on the Sprinter may give you more problems. It's probably worth dragging everyone who'll ever have to climb in or out along to the dealer to see how it suits them.

FWIW, the latest Car and Driver did a kind of perfunctory, but still useful, comparison test of the three Euro-derived van options. The Transit edged the Sprinter; the Promaster was a good ways behind. Probably worth taking a look at the article.

sg1

Adventurer
I have a 4wd Transit (the older European version) and did over 50,000 miles in Africa and Latin America without major problems. Apart from size the one major difference between the two is that the Sprinter is only available with a diesel and the Transit with both diesel and gas engines. If you plan to go to Latin America a modern diesel is not an option because it requires ultra low sulphur diesel which is rarely available in Latin America or any other 3rd world country.
Regards Stefan

uglybaby

Observer
Thank you

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate you taking the time to share them. I realize that in moving to either of these vans, I'm giving up some of the capability I now have in my Tacoma TRD Offroad in favor of more self-contained living space and a simpler method of moving mountain bikes and surfboards, which seem to follow me wherever I go.

When I figure this out, I'll post my own decision process and the consequences so that maybe somebody else can learn from them.

GR8ADV

Explorer
I'll ask out of ignorance. I was very impressed with the sportsmobile 4x4 transfer case and their full front and rear locker system in general. It appears like both a far more capable and more robust system. Is it not possible to go with their system on the transit over the quig?

Last edited:

KMG

Adventurer
We just completed a 6,460 mile trip with our Nissan NV 3500 with Quigley 4x4. Zero issues! We went from sea level to over Logan's pass in Glacier National Park, from 5 mph trails to 85 mph Interstate. Simply put, our Quigley equipped van worked Perfect.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I realize that in moving to either of these vans, I'm giving up some of the capability I now have in my Tacoma TRD Offroad in favor of more self-contained living space and a simpler method of moving mountain bikes and surfboards . . .
Yep. That about sums it up. However, the tradeoff is, you may find, very often a good one.

FWIW, I owned the uber-capable ex-Expeditions West Tacoma concurrent with a Sprinter. Sold the Tacoma, kept the Sprinter. It's not that you can't go any of the places you go in your Tacoma with a Sprinter 4x4; based on my experience, I predict that you'll be able to go the large majority of the same places, just sometimes not as far in.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Yep. That about sums it up. However, the tradeoff is, you may find, very often a good one.

FWIW, I owned the uber-capable ex-Expeditions West Tacoma concurrent with a Sprinter. Sold the Tacoma, kept the Sprinter. It's not that you can't go any of the places you go in your Tacoma with a Sprinter 4x4; based on my experience, I predict that you'll be able to go the large majority of the same places, just sometimes not as far in.

Well my two pennies. Having spent time in a Sprinter off pavement in Peru (albeit a 2wd but got an good sense of the suspension and manners) and having owned and driven the Expo West Taco both off pave and offroad there is simply no comparison between those two in both what you can do and how fast you can do it. Huge compromises to be found in ability given the leaps one can make to the Taco suspension and tire choices. Huge difference as well between living 'in' a Sprinter and living 'around' the Taco.

Last edited:

simple

Adventurer
Comparing base vehicles before 4x4 option. I think it's interesting that U-Haul picked the transit over the sprinter and promaster for cargo vans. All their little cube vans have been GM and dually box vans Ford so I'm guessing they shop both manufacturers. Would be cool to see their analysis and price breaks.

vulf

I'll offer a couple of my thoughts, since I'm in the process of looking to make the same kind of switch that you are.

Currently in an F150 FX4 and looking for a van type option with full stand-up space that can haul cargo and serve as a more comfortable camping space than the short bed of my truck with a topper. I've looked at the Sprinters and Transit vans as well as older ambulances.

I am leaning away from the Sprinter for a few reasons. First and foremost, the 4x4 system on the Sprinter is limited to something like 35/65 torque split and there's no locker. Granted I've only used the locker on my truck a handful of times, but when I needed it, I was glad I had it. I drive in snow a lot. I'm not sure how much of a difference 35/65 vs. 50/50 would make, but I'm used to a true 4wd system and I drive in awful conditions frequently. Second, I'd prefer not to go with the diesel for reasons already mentioned. Third is the price, both of the purchase and of maintenance. I think the Ford would be the more economical choice.

That said, the Sprinter has some features that I really like. One is the option of the crew van set up, which has two rows of seats, just like my truck. You cannot get this option in the Ford. Also, the Sprinter can accommodate larger tires than the Transit. The Quigley prototype van is rocking 31" tires I believe but there is pretty much no room for chains and they said they had to do some mild trimming to fit them. I think the biggest you could go would be 29" or maybe 30" without any trimming on the Transit. I think the stock Sprinter tires are 29" maybe, and I'm thinking you could go to 31" or 32" with a lift, but I haven't done my research on that for the Sprinter.

As for the Transit, I like it for the EcoBoost engine, the cheaper price, the (supposedly) better handling, the option for dual sliding cargo doors, Sync3, and ease/cost of maintenance. I don't like the lack of a second row of seats as an option or the tiny wheel wells.

Check out QuadVan in addition to Quigley. They are also an official upfitter so you can have your van drop-shipped to them to do the conversion just like you could to Quigley. The difference is that QuadVan gives you the option of a 4" lift and they will also install a locking diff if you want and they will install an electronic transfer case with shift-on-the-fly capability (unlike Quigley). This is something that appeals to me, although I understand how Quigley's manual transfer case is appealing to others.

Maybe some of that helps, maybe none of it does, but as I'm looking into making the same switch, those are some issues that have come up for me in my search.

Paddy

Adventurer
I had a nice built 2012 Tacoma. Sold it for a junked out sprinter and I don't miss the taco at all, except when I get stuck in the sprinter (2wd). You will be very happy with your move. When I got a Tacoma I thought it was a nice truck that looks like a car, but it turned out to be a nice car that looks like a truck.

Last edited:

uglybaby

Observer
Thanks for all of the input, guys.

I don't know the answer to the Sportsmobile 4x4 question. I had previously written off SMB only because after corresponding via email (I'm currently deployed) it sounded like their "basic" package involved a fair number of features that I don't want to pay for and lacked some things I did... and SMB will remove some but not all of these for credit (same for Outside Van). I didn't even think to ask about the 4x4 system alone. I'm looking for more of a gear hauler with some sleeping accommodation - probably a platform bed high enough to store bikes under - with some modular/removable accessories. This would be my DD, so I don't want any installed water systems, propane systems, etc that will add weight, permanently take up space and require additional maintenance. I think I'll end up adding things a la cart instead as I determine what I want rather than spending $25k up front for a "basic" SMB or OSV package that doesn't meet my needs. It's gonna be expensive either way.

I focused on Quigley because they seem to have a long/good reputation and their facility is only a few hours from where I live, but my boss is now telling me that I'll probably live on the west coast before this van comes off the production line, so I will check out Quadvan too.

Completely agree about the Sprinter Crew configuration. I really like the quick release bench seat and I'm surprised Ford doesn't offer it. I test drove the (2wd) Sprinter before I deployed and I was impressed overall with its road manners, headroom, etc, but concerned about what may be an overly complicated and expensive to maintain power plant. Look forward to checking out the EcoBoost Transit when I get home. Also, there is a question of value - I don't mind spending some money, but I'd like to compare what I'm getting for it.

I loved reading the Expeditions West Tacoma threads, btw. They were/are inspirational!

Accrete

Explorer
...my Tacoma TRD Offroad in favor of more self-contained living space and a simpler method of moving mountain bikes and surfboards...

Greetings,
My wife and I made the same basic move. We had a 2007 TRD 4x4 TACO and moved into a Chevy AWD van we had Van Specialties upfit. Great move for us as we no longer needed/desired the 4x4 option but wanted a light overlander with bed, bath, & beyond behind the seats. We are currently researching the idea of a Transit LWB-E HR 4x2 with hopes that Quadvan (they are a couple hours away from us) can lift it in order to give us a bit more clearance & tad larger tire size.
: ) Thom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94