Ford Transit high roof builds?

zuren

Adventurer
After a couple years of not having a van, and trying to figure out the transition plan for my aging station wagon, I'm starting to look at vans again.

The van in my signature was sold for a few reasons:

- Built to accommodate 2 adults. We are now a family of 4 with no plans of adding more.
- Rust
- Increasing number of mechanical issues
- General paint issues (the mid-2000s GM paint peel)
- Low roof really became an issue (I'm 6'2")
- Bed was a convertible bench that my wife hated (too firm)

It needed time, effort, and money I couldn't or was not willing to give it, so it went to a new home. I'm now researching the current van landscape and my research is pointing me toward a Ford Transit. I no longer commute to a job, so I'm feeling comfortable that our 2nd vehicle can be more recreation focused but still be nimble enough for day-to-day errands, shuttling the kids around, etc.

If I want to be able to stand, and have the possibility of 2 beds bunked in the back to sleep 4, I'm looking at something with a high roof (either a rigid high roof, or a pop-top). I'm 6'2", so I need at least 75" finished interior height. I've been looking around the internet looking for high roof examples of Transit vans. I see mostly Medium roof vans here. Are there any High roof owners?

I like the exterior appearance of this van - a Transit 350, long wheelbase, high roof...plus nice lift, and wheels/tires:

061A1685.jpg

I'm leaning toward a rigid roof more than a pop-top; less complexity, better sealed and insulated.

I would not want a full build-out - just seating, a flexible sleeping solution, a roof vent, and electric heat (for when we can plug in), would make me happy. I could probably get away with a 250 model. Ideally, I would want 1st and 2nd row captain chairs, 2nd row chairs able to swivel, a 3rd row bench that converts to a bed, and an overhead bunk. I do not need or want a galley, head, or an elaborate electrical system at this time.

All that being said, am I better off looking for a Passenger model and look to add sleeping? I haven't looked at conversion companies closely enough yet to see what has been done. I'm trying to understand the options available on Passenger vs. Crew vs. Cargo models. I think the Crew is just a Cargo with a 2nd row bench seat, but could be wrong. I'm undecided on AWD vs. 2WD. I had 4x4 in my old van and rarely used it. AWD in the Transit is available but not common. 2WD vans are everywhere; paired with a locker and good tires, I would probably be fine.

Anyway, I would be interested in seeing some high top Transits, especially if the interior is anywhere close to what I'm envisioning above!

Thanks!

dleeallen

Adventurer
Sounds like a similar thought process I am working through. I just found vandoit.com I like their modular style using 8020 aluminium extrusions. The start with a passenger van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We are building one right now. 2020 AWD 148" HR EcoBoost. The highroof is awesome. It is a work in progress. Next step is wheel/tires/lift kit.

Cyrull

Here are some floor/bed solutions for your third row, I was initially planning getting one of these beds so did a bunch of research.

This is my build below, I kept it pretty simple. I have a portable fridge that bring I a long and my electrical system is a portable Goal Zero unit.

For heat, when I can't plug in I built a version of this: https://planarheaters.com/product/portable-diesel-air-heater-planar-2d-12/

IMG-0578.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG-0465.jpg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Here are some floor/bed solutions for your third row, I was initially planning getting one of these beds so did a bunch of research.

This is my build below, I kept it pretty simple. I have a portable fridge that bring I a long and my electrical system is a portable Goal Zero unit.

For heat, when I can't plug in I built a version of this: https://planarheaters.com/product/portable-diesel-air-heater-planar-2d-12/

Are these tires 245 or 265? thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94