Ford Transit chassis cab DIY composite camper

rruff

Explorer
mine is a 2wd so you can actually put a aftermarket spindle that keep all the tie rod, lower control arm at normal stock angle but drop the hub part 3 inches giving you a real 3''lift. on top of that...you put the van compass topo 2'' with bilsein sock and you get around 5.5 in of lift up front. the rear will be a mix of new left spring kit and a rear block. i expect to be a 2000-2500lbs under the gvwr so a new softer leafspring pack might be a nice addition.

4 year behind....wait...i will catch up to you in 3 years ;)

That's interesting. Really think I'd go this route if I was starting over.

Do you have 4.10 gears? Are you relocating the lower rear shock mount higher? What tire size?

I don't even have an excuse for taking so long... just lazy!

Jonnyo

Observer
i do have the 4.10 and it s a 178 wheelbase so that is a long long long wheelbase. might not turn very sharply! The tires in one of the pictures i m installing are 32s. (235/85/16) So with the lift and bigger tire..you end up close to 8'' higher then stock so the relocating shock mount become not so usefull in my opinion. i dont see it so far as needed. it s a dually so i doubt i will get in bad situation where i would touch. But maybe?!

rruff

Explorer
So with the lift and bigger tire..you end up close to 8'' higher then stock so the relocating shock mount become not so usefull in my opinion.

I think you only gain the tire radius, but that is something. Just wondered, they really hang down!

Jonnyo

Observer
I think you only gain the tire radius, but that is something. Just wondered, they really hang down!

yes, that is right, you only gain the radius so half of the diameter. The stock tire on dually 350hd is a tiny 195/75/16 and i go to 235/85/16 so i gain about 4.5inch bigger tires so half of this in lift.... 2.2inch + 5.5in lift and it get to close to 7.7inches.

time to order more parts!!!!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
yes, that is right, you only gain the radius so half of the diameter. The stock tire on dually 350hd is a tiny 195/75/16 and i go to 235/85/16 so i gain about 4.5inch bigger tires so half of this in lift.... 2.2inch + 5.5in lift and it get to close to 7.7inches.

We upgraded to bigger tires too. Our speedo is now off by about 7km/h. But more important: I certainly felt a loss in power and loss in breaking power . My tire shop also pointed out that my wheel speed sensors may throw me an error code as certain parameters wouldn't be communicated correctly between the ABS and computer. Just something to be aware.

Jonnyo

Observer
We upgraded to bigger tires too. Our speedo is now off by about 7km/h. But more important: I certainly felt a loss in power and loss in breaking power . My tire shop also pointed out that my wheel speed sensors may throw me an error code as certain parameters wouldn't be communicated correctly between the ABS and computer. Just something to be aware.

what gearing to do you have on yours? 4.10 or 3.73? For sure, i will have a lost of power, there is no way around this with those bigger tires. I have the bigger one of my other transit 350hd dually that i just sold and over 3 years, never had a issue with sensor. the speedo was off by 11% so at 100km indicated, i was going 111km/h

rruff

Explorer
yes, that is right, you only gain the radius so half of the diameter.

I was also thinking that you need to move either the top or bottom mount, or get much longer shocks. I've heard that moving the mount is a pretty easy job for a welder.

Doesn't Ford have a easy way to correct this via software (Forscan)?

Victorian

I was also thinking that you need to move either the top or bottom mount, or get much longer shocks. I've heard that moving the mount is a pretty easy job for a welder.

No idea about software updates. So far I haven't had fun dealing with Ford...

WanderingBison

Yes, you can make an adjustment with Forscan by changing the wheel diameter but not enough to address the difference.

I’m just living with a 10% difference and do mental math when it’s essential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jonnyo

Observer

you are right...i didnt think of the lift and change in shock lengh. i will definitly need to relocate the lower mount to a higher place to compensate for this. I have shock that are made for a 2'' lift but not for 5''+

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter

Have you fit these yet? You will have to do quite a bit of trimming of the pinch weld at the rear of the front WW. Also the back edge of the front bumper.
Here are the high clearance shock brackets, https://vancompass.com/products/van...-rear-high-clearance-shock-extension-brackets
With a cab chassis you might be able to raise the rear upper bracket, depending on box subframe, a van they would be coming up through the floor.

Jonnyo

Observer
Have you fit these yet? You will have to do quite a bit of trimming of the pinch weld at the rear of the front WW. Also the back edge of the front bumper.
Here are the high clearance shock brackets, https://vancompass.com/products/van...-rear-high-clearance-shock-extension-brackets
With a cab chassis you might be able to raise the rear upper bracket, depending on box subframe, a van they would be coming up through the floor.

yep, van compass as a video showing the trimming needed for the 265/75/16 that is the same heigh tires but wider. The good news is once i m done with the lift.... i need to trim a lot less then what VC recommend as i will be a 3'' higher then there normal topo lift.

looking forward to fit them next week perhaps!

Victorian

Just completed a 2 week 5800km trip to expo west. The transit runs like a champ. The perfect travel machine.

Attachments

• 469EB461-6A88-462F-A6FC-B885888DE39A.jpeg
    469EB461-6A88-462F-A6FC-B885888DE39A.jpeg
    774.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 881C1EAD-EBBF-4734-9FCC-DE244F4F2505.jpeg
    881C1EAD-EBBF-4734-9FCC-DE244F4F2505.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
  • DC242D58-E7F7-4E80-9D8D-E8B22D34C720.jpeg
    DC242D58-E7F7-4E80-9D8D-E8B22D34C720.jpeg
    735.1 KB · Views: 92
  • F031A844-F84D-44E3-853F-C79998512279.jpeg
    F031A844-F84D-44E3-853F-C79998512279.jpeg