Ford Transit build out

Clean1

Observer
Back of the galley cabinet, switches for lights and water pump, another a/c outlet
DSC_0702.jpegDSC_0704.jpeg
Galley top and sink
DSC_0706.jpeg
Got the heated floor hooked up and tested, although I couldn't tell if it was working. It was about 97 out and I turned the heated floor up to 99 but couldn't tell a difference haha.
DSC_0709.jpeg
a/c subpanel trimmed out and labeled
DSC_0711.jpeg
amp meter on and charger charging. Meter showing 25 amps into the batteries
DSC_0714.jpeg
Sleeping quarters in the back, we will be sleeping sideways with about 73"
DSC_0716.jpeg
This is how Vome sits as of now, dropped her off at the upholstery shop this morning and should get her back next Friday. Thanks for joining me on this ride and thanks for looking!

Attachments

• DSC_0712.jpeg
    DSC_0712.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0721.jpeg
    DSC_0721.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 87

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks for sharing all of the photos and information. Impressive progress. Congratulations, and best of luck with the remaining work.

Vandit

Observer
Another awesome update! Some really nice ideas here and craftsmanship looks top notch. Really shaping up to be a super sweet and comfortable ride. Keep it up!

Clean1

Observer
Thanks for sharing all of the photos and information. Impressive progress. Congratulations, and best of luck with the remaining work.
Thank you for checking it out and the kudos high praise indeed, you fellows churn out some outstanding work!

Clean1

Observer
Vandit and SDSteve,
thanks guys it has been a lot of fun and I've learned a lot along the way. Thanks for checking it out!

Clean1

Observer
Thanks Robert! Yes, upholstery took care of all of the ceiling and side panels. It came out much nicer than I expected. I'll try and post some pics up tomorrow. I've got about 2 weeks to finish before it goes to QuadVan for the 4x4 conversion!! I'm pretty close to being done, just a lot of little stuff and testing to do. Thanks for checking it out.

Very nice work! Moving at a quick pace too. Is this the Medium Roof van? Any reason you decided to go this route vs the high-roof? Standing would be nice in a long trip vehicle no? Any reason you went Transit over Sprinter 4x4?

Clean1

Observer
MD,
Thanks! Yes it is the medium roof van, I previously had an E350 for work and I guess I just got used to the lower roof height. As the van sits now it has about 5'-8" of clear space in the middle of the van where most of the standing will be done. I'm 6' so it doesn't create a huge problem, just maybe a stiff neck once in a while haha. Transit vs Sprinter came about because of the Ford dealer network and the availability of a gas engine. The low sulfur diesel is not readily available yet in the lower half of Mexico or in Central America or I probably would have looked a little closer at a Sprinter 4x4.

Clean1

Observer
It has been long enough time to update! I took the van from Scottsdale AZ to Portland OR for the 4x4 conversion. The plan was to spend the 1st night in Ely, Nv at the KOA. I really should have checked the weather before I left, (1st mistake) it was about 26 when I arrived around 10:00PM. I pulled into my reserved 30Amp spot and plugged in (2nd mistake). I turned on my radiant floor heating and turned on my catalyst heater. When I plug into shore power the ac power runs through the inverter/charger and powers whatever devices are plugged in and charges the house battery at the same time. The house battery was pretty well topped off before I left, so the house batteries did not need much charging. The solenoid that control current going in and going out of the batteries tripped at about 2:00am leaving me no power other than my 12v system...I was plenty warm in my bed but started thinking about my water tank that was half full and that was an oh crap moment, if my f'en tank freezes that will be a friggen mess. I hopped up out of bed put on my clothes started the van, unplugged and took off heading towards Wells NV thinking if I kept the van warm my water tank wouldn't freeze. (In hind sight I should have just found somewhere to empty it DUH!) So I now I'm driving to Wells NV at 2:00AM on the most empty roads I've ever been on heater cranked and tunes blasting trying to stay awake and really regretting not eating dinner. Long story short made it to Wells emptied my water tank and crashed out for a couple hours before driving through Idaho. I got the van to John at QuadVan Monday am and the plan is to get it back in the middle of December. Lesson's learned: check the weather before heading out, (I've been in AZ to long) No need to plug into shore power if batteries are at least half charged (600Amps) and don't skip dinner. In the following posts I will update with pictures the last of my build out...

Clean1

Observer
Swivel seat installed backwards, it works that way but I would suggest installing it correctly. It seems I really like to do things twice, I would have followed the directions but could not locate them in the box. My wife found them in 2 seconds under the packing slip.:ugh:
DSC_0776.jpegDSC_0777.jpeg
Installed the Bio power 20amp solar controller and it works as intended.
DSC_0780.jpeg
Installed 1/4" starboard material I found on ebay for turning my electrical cabinet into a storage cabinet.
DSC_0788.jpeg
Maxxtrax mounted on the roof
DSC_0791.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online