Ford Super Duty Bed Drawers

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I have a 2016 F-250 short bed 6.75 ft. I want to run a drawer system after I install my camper shell. I don't need the full on gun vault drawers but I would like a system that's efficient with the space and secure and weather resistant or waterproof. I've seen number of products on the market and I really like the options of the Decked system for the money but I worry about it's durability and security since its a poly construction system. I have no interest in building my own so please no suggestions there. What do you guys recommend, which product stands out in this category and more specifically who has experience with a system in my specific truck? Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Seriously no one?

I am having a hard time understanding why there is such a huge swing in price between a product like the Decked and Truck Vault. Maybe the prices on these units is why so many of you build your own.

Mike.rider

Observer
We run drawers in several of our SAR trucks. Most are truckvault and they work very well, we also have a slide on top of the drawers to make access easier, and use a are contractor canopy with side doors. Works very well overall.

I love the idea of the decked boxes but have not used them myself, but with a canopy on top I would not be very concerned.

32226754368980698407ad90fb62c4dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tex68w

Beach Bum
We run drawers in several of our SAR trucks. Most are truckvault and they work very well, we also have a slide on top of the drawers to make access easier, and use a are contractor canopy with side doors. Works very well overall.

I love the idea of the decked boxes but have not used them myself, but with a canopy on top I would not be very concerned.

32226754368980698407ad90fb62c4dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply Mike. I have considered an aluminum or steel work topper like the one you have pictured. I'd still like enough room for someone to sleep on top of the drawers so I wouldn't be looking to do another slide out on top but I can see how that furthers your ability to use that space without having to crawl in there. I would imagine that the maximum payload weight for the roof of an aluminum or steel box would be much better than that of the fiberglass shells. I plan to run a basket or rack up top so that I can mount a RTT up there. Thanks for giving me another idea and more stuff to ponder.

malibubts

Adventurer
Seriously no one?

I am having a hard time understanding why there is such a huge swing in price between a product like the Decked and Truck Vault. Maybe the prices on these units is why so many of you build your own.
I think it boils down to the Decked is much cheaper to produce. I debated on building my own, getting Decked, or getting Truck Vault. I have pretty much decided on Decked, that is once the drama with the EPA and my truck is sorted out.

First, you have the actual materials. When I looked into the DIY route I found that a 5ft set of heavy duty sliders were around $200 a pair. So on two drawers you are already at $400 just for the sliders. Then good plywood for the boxes isn't cheap, I think cabinet grade runs around $60 - $80 a sheet. Then the materials for how you are going to finish it. All in you're probably around $800 or so in just materials.

Next you have the actual manufacturing of it. With Decked being a poly system I would guess most of the production is automated, and their labor costs are pretty low. Compare that to Truck Vault, which I'd imagine is all US based craftsman. Skilled labor isn't cheap and the time to build the boxes adds up.

Truck Vault is also probably one of the biggest names out there so they charge a premium.

Personally I feel the Decked will fit my needs and don't worry about the poly construction. Lots of items that see a great amount of abuse are poly (handguns come to mind for one). There also seem to be a number of folks here that run Decked and I haven't seen any complaints about durability.

About the only downside I see to Decked is the drawers don't slide all the way out due to the system using rollers. I would imagine this is a cost cutting measure over traditional sliders.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I think it boils down to the Decked is much cheaper to produce. I debated on building my own, getting Decked, or getting Truck Vault. I have pretty much decided on Decked, that is once the drama with the EPA and my truck is sorted out.

First, you have the actual materials. When I looked into the DIY route I found that a 5ft set of heavy duty sliders were around $200 a pair. So on two drawers you are already at $400 just for the sliders. Then good plywood for the boxes isn't cheap, I think cabinet grade runs around $60 - $80 a sheet. Then the materials for how you are going to finish it. All in you're probably around $800 or so in just materials.

Next you have the actual manufacturing of it. With Decked being a poly system I would guess most of the production is automated, and their labor costs are pretty low. Compare that to Truck Vault, which I'd imagine is all US based craftsman. Skilled labor isn't cheap and the time to build the boxes adds up.

Truck Vault is also probably one of the biggest names out there so they charge a premium.

Personally I feel the Decked will fit my needs and don't worry about the poly construction. Lots of items that see a great amount of abuse are poly (handguns come to mind for one). There also seem to be a number of folks here that run Decked and I haven't seen any complaints about durability.

About the only downside I see to Decked is the drawers don't slide all the way out due to the system using rollers. I would imagine this is a cost cutting measure over traditional sliders.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I would agree that the down side to the Decked is the drawer draw length. I am also concerned about flex between the two sides at the center joint when someone is lying on it, IDK, that mind be unfounded but the one that I played with flexed there quite a bit. That said, that particular one might not have been torqued to spec?! I think for the money the Decked is a hell of a buy and if I plan to run the camper then the durability and weather resistance isn't as much of a factor.

What's the debacle with the EPA and your truck???

malibubts

Adventurer
I haven't seen anyone complain about that in my research, unfortunately I haven't found anywhere local that has one I can see in person to test. Mine will be under a camper shell is well, but the concerns are valid as it'll still take some abuse in the back of the truck. Flexing also would not be ideal for sleeping and carrying larger objects back there. Decked isn't perfect, but from what I've seen it seems like the best option at the price point.

As far as my truck goes, I have the 3.0L EcoDiesel the EPA has claimed is cheating emissions. I love the truck and engine, but want to wait and see how things pan out. I just put the cap on in December before the announcement and I don't want to put in another grand if I end up with some sort of buy-back situation.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/epa-accuses-fca-of-emissions-cheating-with-3-0l-ecodiesel-v-6/

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I haven't seen anyone complain about that in my research, unfortunately I haven't found anywhere local that has one I can see in person to test. Mine will be under a camper shell is well, but the concerns are valid as it'll still take some abuse in the back of the truck. Flexing also would not be ideal for sleeping and carrying larger objects back there. Decked isn't perfect, but from what I've seen it seems like the best option at the price point.

As far as my truck goes, I have the 3.0L EcoDiesel the EPA has claimed is cheating emissions. I love the truck and engine, but want to wait and see how things pan out. I just put the cap on in December before the announcement and I don't want to put in another grand if I end up with some sort of buy-back situation.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/epa-accuses-fca-of-emissions-cheating-with-3-0l-ecodiesel-v-6/

Well that's crappy. The EPA needs to go or be severely neutered, way too much involvement with passenger diesel vehicles.

jprovence

I'm in the same boat as you. You have Leitner Rack, AMP steps, Bushwacker flares, on and on with my Ecodiesel. But with current administration, I'd be surprised if anything happens on this front at all.

malibubts

Adventurer
I'm in the same boat as you. You have Leitner Rack, AMP steps, Bushwacker flares, on and on with my Ecodiesel. But with current administration, I'd be surprised if anything happens on this front at all.

Yup, I honestly don't think anything will come of this to bring a buy back. In the first place the allegations center mostly around the AEDs and not full emissions defeat like VW. Then I doubt the new administration will take things that far.

Not to a point either where I 'need' the decked, maybe once spring kicks in I'll find myself more willing to take the plunge and not worry about the emissions deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles