Ford Shop in Bay Area/East Bay? Ford Expedition Fuel Pump Replacement needed...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Long story short...my friend moved to London a few years ago and "abandoned" his low mileage 2001 Ford Expedition in Fremont.

Now we want to put it back on the road but it needs a fuel pump, which is inside the giant fuel tank which therefore needs to be dropped.
And that's not really a task we can tackle in his parents-in-law driveway.

So I need to have it towed to a shop nearby - anyone has recommendation for a shop that deals with Ford in East Bay?

I got a lot of great suggestions when I posted a similar request for my 4runner a couple weeks ago..

thank you!

(p.s: I may also post this on a Ford Forum but I figured I would start here just in case)

4x4junkie

Explorer
I don't have anything on a good shop where you are, but I thought I'd throw this out there... :

Have you checked the fuel pump inertia switch to see if maybe it's been tripped? (supposed to disable the pump in a crash)
I'm not sure it's location on the Expedition, but on the Ranger and those based off it, the switch is up under the passengerside dash where if someone (a child maybe) kicked their foot hard and up high enough on the floorboard might cause it to trip, disabling the pump.

Just a thought, as something with "low mileage" I don't think should be having fuel pump issues yet.

Scott Brady

Founder
Hey Christian,

Have you confirmed the tank needs to be dropped? Often, the pump can be accesses via a removable plate in the floorboard. It may not be the case with your truck, but worth a quick web search.

GDSQDCR

Adventurer
Mike's Auto
1855 Contra Costa Blvd
Ste C
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523

I have been using them for a couple of years now. Very honest! I brought my Marauder in and asked them to the 100K service, despite her only having 80K on her. They called and said everything was still in spec and asked me to confirm that I still wanted to replace stuff. Fair pricing as well. They replaced a relay behind the dash on my Sierra CC. It was supposed to be a 10+ hour job, and I was expecting a ton of money to be given to them. They cut a huge deal.

If you go to them, you can let them know that Anthony with the Blue Marauder sent you. It will not hurt, but not sure if it will help you at all.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I don't have anything on a good shop where you are, but I thought I'd throw this out there... :

Have you checked the fuel pump inertia switch to see if maybe it's been tripped? (supposed to disable the pump in a crash)
I'm not sure it's location on the Expedition, but on the Ranger and those based off it, the switch is up under the passengerside dash where if someone (a child maybe) kicked their foot hard and up high enough on the floorboard might cause it to trip, disabling the pump.

Just a thought, as something with "low mileage" I don't think should be having fuel pump issues yet.

yep I was not aware of that 'kill switch' but now I need to check that. As you can tell I am not really aa "Ford guy" - at least not yet…

:)

I will go back there this week and check that.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
just a quick final update on this...it was the fuel pump indeed.

After getting quotes all over the place ($1100 at the dealer!) and realizing that the fuel pump itself was just $23 on Amazon, I had it towed to my place and did the job myself.
The tank has to be dropped indeed but there was plenty of room. Took about 4 hours total.

$48 total with a new fuel filter and the special Ford fuel line removal tool...

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles