Ford Raptor for Overlanding

HayStax

For me and just a personal opinion, one key reason why I like diesels is the better range and many aux tank options but the Raptor does have a fairly big tank at 34 gallons. I like to have 600+ miles range, just personal opinion.

My range is generally 600 miles + with the Raptor

Reactions: SSG

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

I was going back and forth between a Raptor and f150 supercrew w/ 3.5 and max tow package. I ended up going to f150 lariat, fx4, 3.5, max tow package w/ the 36gal tank, supercrew, 6” lift and 35s for less than what the raptor would have been. I even installed the 360 camera setup. The deal breaker for me was the towing aspect as I tow my jeep or camper behind my truck and if you’ve ever seen a gen2 raptor towing, you’ll see they sag quite a bit and max payload is lower.

This truck gets up and goes and tows great through the rockies.

Later down the road, I may upgrade to a 250 with the new big v8 depending on the specs they spit out. If bot, could end up with the diesel. Id like to tow both my jeep and offroad camper on a flatbed trailer at the same time. Ive been having to leave my jeep behind when I take the camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
True I do change vehicles very often but I want to choose this one for long term so really want to do my research on it.
I'm envious. I wish I could afford to get something new every few years. Any full size truck is going to get Arizona pinstripes in Anza Borrego in my area.

SSG

Yeah but this one will have to be long term :)

I am leaning towards the Raptor and doing some mods to up the payload but I am curious to any news of the 2020 Raptor to see if there will be major changes so not pulling the trigger til I can confirm that.

SSG

Ok guys so after much research I finally made my decision and here it is: 2013 G. Love the Raptor but living in a city I like the thinner frame of the G, amongst other things of course. I am absolutely in LOVE with this thing. It is a keeper for the long term :)

IMG-2977.JPG

adaml

Interesting choice ...

I'm in Seattle myself and got rid of my 2016 4Runner for a 2019 Raptor. Couldn't be happier. Some of the comments here are are pretty funny. Some people act like the thing is a land barge but it's only 6 inches wider than a normal F150. Honestly, the only time I feel tight is when I try to park in small parking spaces. Never felt that way outside. I actually just got back from spending 68 hours and 2600 miles in the truck as I drove it all over Canada for almost two weeks, full of four people, RTT, fridge, and whatever else we packed. Spent hundreds of miles on dirt/gravel/washboard/pot-holed roads and it handled it all way better than the 4Runner ever did.

67751495_2504460986283708_8539410031518643400_n.jpg

phsycle

Adventurer
Interesting choice ...

I'm in Seattle myself and got rid of my 2016 4Runner for a 2019 Raptor. Couldn't be happier. Some of the comments here are are pretty funny. Some people act like the thing is a land barge but it's only 6 inches wider than a normal F150. Honestly, the only time I feel tight is when I try to park in small parking spaces. Never felt that way outside. I actually just got back from spending 68 hours and 2600 miles in the truck as I drove it all over Canada for almost two weeks, full of four people, RTT, fridge, and whatever else we packed. Spent hundreds of miles on dirt/gravel/washboard/pot-holed roads and it handled it all way better than the 4Runner ever did.

Nice pictures. After buying and driving a Tacoma for a few months, I sold it late last year in favor of another F150. Mainly because I have kids and they felt really cramped in the back of the Tacoma. With a slight lift and 33" tires, there aren't many trails I can't tackle. As much as I liked the Tacoma, exterior size, capability, looks...honestly, I like the fullsize trucks better. I feel much less tired on trips, as does the rest of the family, and truth be told, all "trails" I used to go on can almost all be tackled in the F150 (those crazy cliff shelf roads in CO may be questionable). Raptor would be even better and more fun. Although for payload, I am sticking with the F150. And maybe even F250 Tremor or PW later in the future.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Although for payload, I am sticking with the F150. And maybe even F250 Tremor or PW later in the future.
Same here. my F-150 has a payload of 1,800lbs. That's the one knock against the PW that would have me leaning toward a gasser XLT F-250 Tremor...

adaml

Nice pictures. After buying and driving a Tacoma for a few months, I sold it late last year in favor of another F150. Mainly because I have kids and they felt really cramped in the back of the Tacoma. With a slight lift and 33" tires, there aren't many trails I can't tackle. As much as I liked the Tacoma, exterior size, capability, looks...honestly, I like the fullsize trucks better. I feel much less tired on trips, as does the rest of the family, and truth be told, all "trails" I used to go on can almost all be tackled in the F150 (those crazy cliff shelf roads in CO may be questionable). Raptor would be even better and more fun. Although for payload, I am sticking with the F150. And maybe even F250 Tremor or PW later in the future.

That's pretty much how I felt about the Tacoma. I had thoughts about wanting a truck since I had the 4Runner for a handful of reasons and the first thing I went to look at was a Tacoma but my wife immediately said that the back was too small (and I also didn't personally like how you sit as a driver). I then looked at a Tundra but I really got tired of the dated tech of Toyota vehicles (they're all nice but they're all also a little ... lacking ...). After that, I looked at the Colorado (decided it was too small) and then went to the Power Wagon but I didn't like the on-road feeling of the solid front axle (I daily my truck so most driving is on asphalt). After all that, I started looking at F150's but by the time I customized them to the point I liked them, I wasn't too far from a Raptor. I don't plan to ever tow anything but maybe a light travel trailer or a boat and I don't plan on ever maxing out the payload (but if I do, I can always swap out the springs).

At the end of the day, there's no way I can rationalize the Raptor as the "optimal" overlanding truck. It's not. But, like you said, it's FUN and I love driving it so I'm sticking with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online