Ford Raptor for Overlanding

Sims4adventure

Does this mythical truck build you speak of come with the option of purchasing a 150,000 mile warranty?

Also, for some reason (myopic logic if I had to guess) people only look at the suspension and fail to realize how much it cost to match the performance that the 3.5HO has to offer, that kind of reliable power isn't cheap to replicate.
You can get a warranty for anything. One thing to remember is the factory warranty on the raptor is very strict and up to what ever dealership you use .
My self Im a big believer in "no replacement for displacement "
As far as suspension you would have about 10--13k into it. Best of everything. Like king shocks and spec built leaf springs from Dever Springs along with front and rear hydraulic bump stops. I'm building my parts lot for my truck as we speak.
The 250 and 350 are good trucks. I tend to stay away from first year truck regardless of make. Being a fleet mechanic for a gov agency that has been proven to me.

It's all your choice just my thoughts

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 9101

My self Im a big believer in "no replacement for displacement "

Thats cute... Look at a dyno of a 3.5 HO... It makes the "no replacement for displacement' mantra look silly. ;-)

*Also, many an EcoBoost owner has humiliated V8 fan boys with little to no effort. I do it every single time I go to the track.

Sims4adventure

Thats cute... Look at a dyno of a 3.5 HO... It makes the "no replacement for displacement' mantra look silly. ;-)

*Also, many an EcoBoost owner has humiliated V8 fan boys with little to no effort. I do it every single time I go to the track.
I'm not disputing the v6 turbo can run and make power. Im just not a fan of them. Just like there is some 4 bangers out there putting down times at the track. Again not a fan unless air cooled vw

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SSG

Ah ok, yeah I like the looks of the Raptor and the twin turbo but overlanding is what I need my truck for first and foremost. A lot of great info provided here so thanks everyone.

D

Deleted member 9101

Ah ok, yeah I like the looks of the Raptor and the twin turbo but overlanding is what I need my truck for first and foremost. A lot of great info provided here so thanks everyone.

You mean "camping." "Overlanding" is nothing more than a trendy phrase thrown around to justify spending an obnoxious amount of money to go camping while taking an excessive amount of gear.

SSG

I guess different meanings have been given to the term and it's all subjective. Oh yeah I like to camp in style man, I was in the military for over a decade and I now love my creature comforts for sure. I do like to take long road trips and camp along the way, be adaptable and prepared.

Oh for anyone who has not been to Vancouver Island, BC it is a must place to check out. I went there for 4th of July vacation (Sooke, BC), drove up the coast and checked out all the beaches and there are some beautiful camping spots along the way. Went there from Seattle so the trip included a ferry ride with amazing scenery. I highly recommend Vancouver, Island, BC.

But yeah I like gear as well.

Cheers

Thinman

off subject, but i'm pretty sure overlanding is a way for the cool kids to try and separate themselves from being called glampers. :rolleyes:

on subject, i went with the ram 1500 rebel. payload landed at 1560 after options which, wanting to tow someday, seemed like a happy compromise from the low powerwagon numbers in the 1150 range, which are more similar to the raptors payload expectations.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The Raptor is a dirt road Mustang. It's not a real truck.

If you need a truck to do truck things, then get a 250/350 and don't look back. Trying to make a Toyota or Raptor into a cargo hauler is a futile and painful effort. A RTT and too much expo gear will max it out. It's perfect for ground tents and weight conscience expo'ers with light RTT'S. Forget about any camper, it's the wrong ride for that.

Also note, that the Raptor doesn't have as much ground clearance as you'd expect. A Super Duty on a 4" lift has it beat there. Obviously any SD will require shock and spring tuning to make you happy if you're considering Raptors. But we already have that math figured out as well.

Reactions: SSG

SSG

Sooke used to be awesome.. a cute little secluded down on the outskirts of Victoria...now with the crooked government gazillion dollar development happening across the harbour... not so much... a truly crazy destructive story on how the sleeze power brokers moved in and made that happen...along with government collusion

The island itself is beautiful... although mixed with a bunch of problems that the reservation system created in the states as well... and mix in the Internet, where almost nothing is a hidden gem to be discovered any longer... because anyone who discovers something posts it to google, or to sell a travel guide etc.... 20 years of personal get together on the trail sharing now happens in 20 min on the internet

If overlanding was a way to express the discovery of vast new vistas... as in the British discovering Africa etc... then by and large it doesn’t exist... but journeying is still fun... and I will continue... but the world is getting smaller and fast... vehicles are more comfortable and the unexplored is read about and prepped for well in advance, with every bump in the road, known and accounted for.... which makes things easier... and who doesn’t want easier... but it comes at a price....

Try driving a 1979 vehicle 1000 miles...everything moves slower.. louder, you can feel it.. now vehicles are like moving living rooms... modern transmission, suspensions, door seals and hvac systems have truly transformed what it means to travel.. the comfort level is extraordinary

Imagine what it was like driving through Yellowstone in 1923... the experience of life has changed drastically... kind of like cruising the Carribean on a sail boat vs a fast powerboat... one takes a year... one takes a week

I did not know so much about the island, only my second time there. First time just went and checked out Victoria, really like it there. Reminded me of Europe.

I did not know of development across the harbor but it is definitely no longer secluded. But that coast was just so amazing. I really enjoy BC, and since my wife is Canadian we will be discovering more places to visit there for sure.

SSG

off subject, but i'm pretty sure overlanding is a way for the cool kids to try and separate themselves from being called glampers. :rolleyes:

on subject, i went with the ram 1500 rebel. payload landed at 1560 after options which, wanting to tow someday, seemed like a happy compromise from the low powerwagon numbers in the 1150 range, which are more similar to the raptors payload expectations.

View attachment 527196

Great choice, I really do like the Rebel truck. I was really surprised when I read above about the Raptor's payload, even my 4runner TRD PRO has 1550 so I expected same or more from Raptor but guess it was meant to be light and fast, that said, I still think it is a very nice truck.

RoyJ

Adventurer

It should be mentioned the PW's payload limitation is quite different than a Rebel or Raptor.

A PW has 1 ton running gear in every way except springs. Its frame, axles, and power train would have a payload of 6400 in a crew cab dually. So long travel air bags can easily increase payload to 3000 lbs, SAFELY. "legally", that's for another 10 page thread...

SSG

I like the PW but wish it came in a diesel, but that's just personal preferance as that vehicle is more than capable.

So I test drove the Raptor, F250/F350 and I have to say that the Raptor was amazing to drive, look at and I really liked it :)

But I will more than likely be going with the F250/F350 in the Tremor trim when it is released.

SSG

Given you are considering a 1/2 class... extreme towing is not an issue...

What benefit, does diesel offer?

Higher cost of purchase
Higher cost of maintenance
Def
Dpf
Egr
Gels at extreme cold
Louder
Heavier (bad for Offroad)
Does not do well in short trip start/stop driving
Limited to USA/Canada

I think what people think of diesel no longer matches the practical reality of modern diesels.. which is why ford just sunk a ton of cash into developing the 7.3 gas motor for their super duty line

Very good points David. Curious to drive that Ford 7.3 gas.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
So the Raptor can handle payloads for ovrlanding, such as camping gear, fishing gear, fridge, roof top tent, cab and bed racks, recovery gear, 2 adults and 2 big dogs plus future modifications?

Yes, be conscious about your weight and you will have no issues. I regularly pack up a kayak or surfboard, 2 coolers, a propane tank, small grill and a rubbermade box full of camping gear with me, in addition to up to 3 passengers. A few guys on the Raptor forum who build a bit heavier (larger RTTS and whatnot) need deaver springs but its not required.

If towing more than a small overland trailer, 2 jetskis or a uhaul trailer to your new apartment, then an F250 is a better bet. If you want a slid in bed camper, then yeah an F250 is a better bet. It also comes down to what you like to drive, what you really think you're gonna use it for, and your budget. If a Raptor fits into all 3 go for it, if not pick what works for you.

The Raptor is a dirt road Mustang. It's not a real truck.

It seems awfully trucky to me, it does all the same truck stuff like hauling junk to the scrapyard, carrying about 400 pounds of dirt to my house, and transporting myself in relative luxury. I'm not saying its objectively better than other trucks in a lot of ways but saying it not a real truck is crappy gatekeeping my guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles