Ford Ranger Debut

Dalko43

Explorer
Anyone here catch the reveal of the new Ford Ranger?

Initially, it will be offered with an inline 4 2.3l turbo gasoline, though rumors of a diesel in the future still persist. Optional FX-4 package with skid plates, e-locker, A/T tires. All the usual amenities that US consumers have come to expect in their vehicles: lane departure; blindspot detection; pedestrian alert; adaptive cruise control.

The description of the frame was interesting; Ford rep's made a point of saying that it was "adapted" for North American markets. I'm not sure if that's a euphemism which indicates the frame is weaker than its overseas cousin. They did note it was a fully boxed, ladder frame made of high-strength steel with a steel front bumper and aluminum rear already built on. I've seen a few car magazines state that the overseas and North American frames and chassis look extremely similar, so it could be that that there isn't much, if any, difference between the two.

No word on payload or towing yet.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'm curious to hear about towing and payload. It would have been nice to have a couple engine options as well. Looks like no Ranger Raptor on debut either. Still an interesting truck.I'll be curious to see how it does vs the Colorado / Canyon twins, the Taco and the upcoming Wrangler pick up.

vartz04

Adventurer
I really wish they would have released it for 2018. I was in a spot where i had to buy something (Switched jobs, no company vehicle anymore just an allowance) and bought a canyon but it would have been nice to be able to compare it to the ranger. I did compare it to the tacoma, but for me it wasn't even close between the two from a daily driver standpoint.

Dalko43

Explorer
I'm curious to hear about towing and payload. It would have been nice to have a couple engine options as well. Looks like no Ranger Raptor on debut either. Still an interesting truck.I'll be curious to see how it does vs the Colorado / Canyon twins, the Taco and the upcoming Wrangler pick up.

I was looking forward to this but so far I'm not impressed.

The truck hasn't even hit showroom floors yet. The Raptor and other engine options may very well come in later model years.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

Why not? It has a rear e-locker, the engine will more than likely be more efficient and powerful than the Tacoma/Colorado v6's. Its a good looking truck IMO. The Colorado/canyons look cheesy unless you get a zr2, or clean up the front end so it doesn't drag the ground.

A 2019! This is one of those, "if you're thinking of buying a now, wait until we can get these out" kinda reveals. I have been experiencing this with our daily driver, an electric car, replacement for years now.

I think its a good looking truck, I like the F150 too, but it won't fit in the garage. Things my 4Runner is missing are: Apple CarPlay and ACC, those would be nice and I expect better MPG numbers, although not sure I would like start/stop.

Clutch

<---Pass

Why not? It has a rear e-locker, the engine will more than likely be more efficient and powerful than the Tacoma/Colorado v6's. Its a good looking truck IMO. The Colorado/canyons look cheesy unless you get a zr2, or clean up the front end so it doesn't drag the ground.

Engine hp/tq should be in the 300 range comparing it to what is in the Mustang and Explorer. Guessing HWY mpg above 25, maybe a smidge more with the 10 speed trans, and a fully boxed frame. Front bumper is separate, so adding an aftermarket bumper should be a breeze, no plastic fascia BS to cut. While they are saying there are some unique parts to the US platform, assuming the under pinnings are the same as the over-seas model. Aftermarket at least from ARB should ready to go by the time it hits the dealer floors here.

Ford is pretty good about a la carte their accessaries. Might be able to get a XL 4WD with a rear locker sub $30K. Where-as Toyota you have to buy the TRD OR to get a locker, those are pushing $40K in my area.

Liking what I am seeing so far. No manual trans, but oh well...I am getting old.

On a side note: Did Ford just re-release the 2001 F150? :p Be interesting to compare the dimensions.

jgardiner

Observer

Honestly I'm disappointed in the engine and the styling is meh. Also I hate all of the nanny driver aids and can only hope that there is a way to disable them.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Honestly I'm disappointed in the engine and the styling is meh. Also I hate all of the nanny driver aids and can only hope that there is a way to disable them.

What were you wanting in an engine? I thought the 2.7 ecoboost would have been nice, but Ford doesn't want anything to compete with the F150. A diesel? I'm over diesel and I drive one every day, I couldn't imagine private ownership of diesel, its not worth it.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I'm looking forward to when they are available for the press to drive.
This segment seems like the revival of the U.S. Muscle Car back in '05. So far it's been so cool with GM hitting the competition square between the eyes.
Hope the Ranger is a "player". :)

How awesome would it be to have a real struggle deciding between a Ford, GM, Jeep and Toyota. :victory:

GreenH3ll

For what they want to give-me for my ''old'' Ranger, i will have a thought time not buying the new one! The aftermarket is already well established and its not really a new model so its already been tested over the last years.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well, it's refreshing to see that Ford finally decided to offer a 4 door Ranger in the US market, 20+ years after they offered it in other markets.
But I'm still trying to figure out what the angle is here. What does the Ranger offer that the F150 doesn't, except for the momentary cachet of being the "next shiny new thing." Once the shiny and the new has worn off, what is it? A truck that carries less than an F150 and uses the same amount of gas as an F150? Where is the benefit there?
Unless the price point is significantly lower than an F150, what can the new Ranger do that the F150 can't?
I suppose Ford could look at the 4 door Ranger as an SUV substitute (and in fact, I think 4-door pickups in general fill the same market niche that body-on-frame SUV's used to, before they all but disappeared) but Ford already makes a crap-load of SUVs: Escape, Explorer, Flex, Edge, Expedition and Expedition EL) as well as unibody the unibody CDV, the Transit.
One has to wonder, will Ford trim down their SUV lineup to make room for the Ranger? Or will Ford dealers look at every Ranger sold as a lost opportunity to sell an F150?
Another possibility, I suppose, is that the lower trim levels of the F150 are all but dropped from the lineup and customers with less money to spend are directed to the Ranger while customers with more $$ will be directed to the F150.
Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the Ranger - hell I've owned two of them - but I'm scratching my head trying to figure out where this new Ranger fits into Ford's lineup.

Clutch

<---Pass
Well, it's refreshing to see that Ford finally decided to offer a 4 door Ranger in the US market, 20+ years after they offered it in other markets.
But I'm still trying to figure out what the angle is here. What does the Ranger offer that the F150 doesn't, except for the momentary cachet of being the "next shiny new thing." Once the shiny and the new has worn off, what is it? A truck that carries less than an F150 and uses the same amount of gas as an F150? Where is the benefit there?
Unless the price point is significantly lower than an F150, what can the new Ranger do that the F150 can't?
I suppose Ford could look at the 4 door Ranger as an SUV substitute (and in fact, I think 4-door pickups in general fill the same market niche that body-on-frame SUV's used to, before they all but disappeared) but Ford already makes a crap-load of SUVs: Escape, Explorer, Flex, Edge, Expedition and Expedition EL) as well as unibody the unibody CDV, the Transit.
One has to wonder, will Ford trim down their SUV lineup to make room for the Ranger? Or will Ford dealers look at every Ranger sold as a lost opportunity to sell an F150?
Another possibility, I suppose, is that the lower trim levels of the F150 are all but dropped from the lineup and customers with less money to spend are directed to the Ranger while customers with more $$ will be directed to the F150.
Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the Ranger - hell I've owned two of them - but I'm scratching my head trying to figure out where this new Ranger fits into Ford's lineup.

Think(?) I read it from Mike Levine [Ford] on Jalopnik???, that the Ranger is for the urban dweller who doesn't want a fullsize truck in the city or tight confines suburbia (read: needs to fit in the garage) Price isn't going to be that much cheaper. Kinda like the GM twins and the Tacoma, prices aren't that far off from a full-size. For people that willing to pay a premium (and do) but don't want the girth of a fullsize. Most will be used as daily drivers, and won't haul much [ever!]

And lets face it, these new midsizes are damn near the same size of the "old" fullsizes...which is a nice size, imo.

2015-hevy-colorado.jpg

I am kinda liking the styling, nice subdued...everything else looks like a Transformer...gee-sas have you seen the new Silverado, keep on waiting for to change into an Autobot.

Don't believe you can buy a new vehicle today without nannies. Used to hate it, but maybe I am getting old, or maybe since I have commute now and watch all the arsejackery around me...a little bit of nannying might be kinda nice. Can't tell you how many times I have been cut off in traffic, or someone stopping short in front of me....or traffic all of the sudden comes to a complete stop. The computer might have a better reaction than me (and I really hate to admit that) Shoot, just coming home tonight from work...the guy in front of me damn near plowed into the car in front of him when traffic was stopped all of the sudden.

Like it or not, people simply don't pay attention much anymore...if the nannies keep the traffic flowing and more accident free I am all for it, 'cause it seems like every other day someone runs out of talent during my commute. One day it might be me, I am only human after-all.

Last edited:

Imprezive

Think(?) I read it from Mike Levine [Ford] on Jalopnik???, that the Ranger is for the urban dweller who doesn't want a fullsize truck in the city or tight confines suburbia (read: needs to fit in the garage) Price isn't going to be that much cheaper. Kinda like the GM twins and the Tacoma, prices aren't that far off from a full-size. For people that willing to pay a premium (and do) but don't want the girth of a fullsize. Most will be used as daily drivers, and won't haul much [ever!]

And lets face it, these new midsizes are damn near the same size of the "old" fullsizes...which is a nice size, imo.

Exactly, I live in LA and have no desire to daily drive something the size of a school bus. I don’t need the size at all it just adds inconvenience. Hopefully the new Bronco is a refreshed Everest because I’ll scoop one up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles