Ford Ranger Debut

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I don't think there is a whole lot of parts crossover between the 4runner/FJ and the Tacoma. The former is built off of a completely different platform (the LC Prado) from the latter.
Frames are different but the parts are usually interchangeable. There are sometimes localized differences, for the example the front spindles on all 3 are similar but the Tacoma upper ball joint taper is slightly different such that an upper ball joint from a 4Runner doesn't full seat. But you can swap the spindle and then the UCA would be fine.

Things like diffs are the same, axles are similar save for the leaf springs in the back (and in that Hilux rear springs *could* work but you have to cut off the inverted hangers and weld on new hangers to use the traditional type). A 1GR-FE is a 1GR-FE, although 4Runner got the dual VVTi that the Tacoma never did. Transmissions are similar, although gearing isn't always the same.

Transfer cases are swapped from the FJC to the Taco and what hold you up is finding a path through the floor and tricking the front diff to engage 4WD. Mechanically it's a bolt-on affair. Things like relays and connectors are universal across Toyota. People use the 4Runner or Hilux transfer case selector (the Hilux has an electrical t-case on some models I gather), which is plug-and-play. It's a nicer looking switch and Toyota saw fit to actually put illumination in it.

The 120 series Prado and 4Runner aren't exactly the same either. The Prado, Tacoma, 4Runner, FJC, GX, Hilux, Fortuner are a family of vehicles but IMHO it's not easy to say one is the same as the other beyond the Prado and GX, which are practically identical. I think it's probably the case that they are all derivatives of the same IMV platform, if anything.

One thing that might be argued is the suppliers for Tacoma are North American and it seems that Denso or Aisin-Seiki in the U.S. might not hold themselves to the same standard as their sister companies in Japan. That's probably not really a quantitative argument, though.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The developing black eye is that Ford has had major Head Gasket failures in the RS Focus lots of them. The details surfacing is its looking like the supporting structure between the cylinders and block wall are not robust enough to prevent flex and movement in the cylinder wall thus allowing excessive movement at the head / deck interface which destroys the gasket in very short order.

The little 2.3L high output mill in the truck isnt all that attractive especially if the block is a flexy thing apt to have major internal failures. Major bummer

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I don't know... I sorta like the looks of it, but I just am not sure I can get behind the motor.
Please don't get me wrong, I have no problem with 4 bangers and the echo boost tech is more then proven at this point.
But they are going to have to work some hard core gearing magic to get that motor to do " truck stuff"
It was designed as a budget option for folks that want to look fast and sorta go fast with out throwing big dollars at a big motor in the new stangs
and or designed to haul kids to soccer pratice.

I am sure it is plenty zippy, and I am sure that being in a truck mounted to truck suspension and breaks will up the numbers a bit but as it stands now that motor I think is only rated to two 3,000 pounds when it is attached to the explorer.

Heck, my stock 2012 regular cab tacoma is rated to tow 3500 with the 2.7 for the price point that this is going to be coming in at ( you know it is going to be upper 30's ) they better find a way for it to actually move some weight. If it cant match the towing of the tacoma or the colorado with a V6 then they are behind the game right out of the gate since they are only going to offer one motor to start. I also dont see this thing getting great MPG. The exploder I think is lighter and for sure is more streamlined then the ranger. The numbers seem like a losing battle to me. Heck, for the price, if I was looking for something small I would get a Honda Ridgeline. Sure the ranger can have a locker and low range, and 1 out of 100 people that buy this truck will ever use those beyond screwing around in a dirt parking lot. Perhaps I am just Biased since I bought a truck for doing truck stuff. bench seats, crank windows 4x4 clutch radio, thats sorta it. a 4 banger will trailer more then enough fire wood then I want to cut in one day, help me get dirt for the garden, pull the little boat, snomo, dirtbike around just fine. who knows your miles may differ....
The 3.5 and 2.7 seem to be pretty solid engines so far. But the smaller eco boosts are showing problems. The RS Focus has had a rash of big Head gasket failures at really low mileage. The direction of the tuner talk after several have pulled the head is suspicion that the cylinder to block support is not robust enough allowing lots of flex/ movement at the top of the cylinder vs the head causing fast wear and damage in a short period to the gasket. Reading a bunch of reports about this in the smaller ecoboost doesnt give me the warm fuzzies about the durability of a small eco boost in a truck that will see some heavy use periods at times.

This engine has been in the Explorer which is a heavy pig so I would dig into its history with the explorer that could be eye opening.

Dalko43

Explorer
Frames are different but the parts are usually interchangeable.

Some parts may be interchangeable, but the overall platforms are in fact different. Sharing of common axles, engines and even some suspension components between different platforms isn't uncommon, for Toyota and for vehicles in general.

The 120 series Prado and 4Runner aren't exactly the same either. The Prado, Tacoma, 4Runner, FJC, GX, Hilux, Fortuner are a family of vehicles but IMHO it's not easy to say one is the same as the other beyond the Prado and GX, which are practically identical. I think it's probably the case that they are all derivatives of the same IMV platform, if anything.

The 4runner and FJ Cruiser (and the Lexus GX 460) are based off of the LC Prado platform; that much isn't really up for debate. There are some differences in interior design and exterior body panels and engine options, but the underlying chassis and frames are pretty much the same. The Fortuner and Hilux are similarly built off of the same platform. The Tacoma is its own platform, built and mostly designed in North America, regardless of some parts commonality with other platforms. Off topic, but I just wanted point that out.

Clutch

<---Pass
The 3.5 and 2.7 seem to be pretty solid engines so far. But the smaller eco boosts are showing problems. The RS Focus has had a rash of big Head gasket failures at really low mileage. The direction of the tuner talk after several have pulled the head is suspicion that the cylinder to block support is not robust enough allowing lots of flex/ movement at the top of the cylinder vs the head causing fast wear and damage in a short period to the gasket. Reading a bunch of reports about this in the smaller ecoboost doesnt give me the warm fuzzies about the durability of a small eco boost in a truck that will see some heavy use periods at times.

This engine has been in the Explorer which is a heavy pig so I would dig into its history with the explorer that could be eye opening.

Well that is a bummer.

Are these failures under boy racer tuner Ken Block wanna-bees bouncing it off the rev limiter, with it tuned to the max?

Or owned by grumpy middle-age men like myself that takes their time getting it up to speed, then sets the cruise at 2 mph under the posted speed limit, while the traffic piling up behind them collectively looses their minds.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The developing black eye is that Ford has had major Head Gasket failures in the RS Focus lots of them. The details surfacing is its looking like the supporting structure between the cylinders and block wall are not robust enough to prevent flex and movement in the cylinder wall thus allowing excessive movement at the head / deck interface which destroys the gasket in very short order.

The little 2.3L high output mill in the truck isnt all that attractive especially if the block is a flexy thing apt to have major internal failures. Major bummer

The articles I have seen say all the head gasket failures were due to Mustang head gaskets ending up on RS cars. Same engine but the water jackets are slightly different.

jgardiner

Observer

The head gasket failures were due to installing the wrong 2.3 head gasket that blocked some of the coolant passages.

Clutch

<---Pass
The articles I have seen say all the head gasket failures were due to Mustang head gaskets ending up on RS cars. Same engine but the water jackets are slightly different.

Well that is good to hear! Ha!

I am not finding much on Explorer 2.3 Ecoboost failures.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Do you have a link to the leaked spec sheet?

Looks like a 1.5L, 2.0L, and 3.0L, the 3.0L is the F-150 and likely Expedition option. I bet the 2.0L goes in the Bronco and the 1.5L for the Ranger.

uj4NZQO.jpg

I believe it's a 7.3L V8, funny they'd make the same size gasser as their infamous PSD.

Infamous? I think you have confused the 7.3L with another engine. The 7.3 PSD is still in great demand because of its reliability and performance. The 6.0 and 6.4 had some issues, and do not have a great reputation.

haven

Expedition Leader
In Australia and elsewhere, the Ranger is offered with a 2.2L four and 3.2L 5 cylinder turbo Diesel engines. Since Ford already sells the 3.2L diesel in the Transit van in USA, I’d guess the 3.2 would be the diesel of choice for our Ranger. It should “drop right in.”

The F150’s 3.0L Diesel is rated at 440 ft-lb of torque. The 3.2 in the Transit, 350 ft-lb. That 440 might be too much torque for the Ranger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles