Ford Ranger and Bronco Coming back! Crosses fingers

4x4junkie

Explorer
4. The days of any 2 door SUV commanding a market presence are gone, long gone.

You're saying the 2-door Wrangler JK doesn't command any presence in the market?? (sure the 4-door JK outsells it, but still it seems to be doing quite well, if all the ones I see on the road (and trail) are any indication).

Any "Bronco" built on the Everest platform IMO will suffer the very same fate as Toyota's FJ Cruiser due to the IFS and lack of a removable top. If the aftermarket is to embrace it willingly (something required for it to be able to sustain itself in the market like the JK does), it needs to be body-on-frame, have two decent solid axles, have a removable top (regardless of how many will actually remove said top), and be affordable (both it and the aftermarket accessories for it). Anything less is almost guaranteed to be a failure.
The closest thing Ford currently has under it's umbrella to what I believe would make any sort of dent in JK sales would be the Troller T4. However a Troller is very far from meeting the arduous safety standards our wonderful government imposes on automakers, so I'm not sure how feasible simply bringing the Troller here would be. I would hope Ford can find a way to pull it off, perhaps with a steel body somewhat reminiscent of a 1st-gen Bronco, but like others here, my hope for that just is not very high.

Vandy

Adventurer
The bronco hasn't has 2 decent axles in a long time. That's why I went to the k5 camp. I can't stand that double wishbone crap

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
You're saying the 2-door Wrangler JK doesn't command any presence in the market?? (sure the 4-door JK outsells it, but still it seems to be doing quite well, if all the ones I see on the road (and trail) are any indication).

Any "Bronco" built on the Everest platform IMO will suffer the very same fate as Toyota's FJ Cruiser due to the IFS and lack of a removable top. If the aftermarket is to embrace it willingly (something required for it to be able to sustain itself in the market like the JK does), it needs to be body-on-frame, have two decent solid axles, have a removable top (regardless of how many will actually remove said top), and be affordable (both it and the aftermarket accessories for it). Anything less is almost guaranteed to be a failure.
The closest thing Ford currently has under it's umbrella to what I believe would make any sort of dent in JK sales would be the Troller T4. However a Troller is very far from meeting the arduous safety standards our wonderful government imposes on automakers, so I'm not sure how feasible simply bringing the Troller here would be. I would hope Ford can find a way to pull it off, perhaps with a steel body somewhat reminiscent of a 1st-gen Bronco, but like others here, my hope for that just is not very high.

Does anybody know exactly what safety standards the T4 needs to overcome to be sellable in the US?

The bronco hasn't has 2 decent axles in a long time. That's why I went to the k5 camp. I can't stand that double wishbone crap

I have yet to even hear about either the TTB or Twin I-beam suspensions ever failing. The only time they would is when people try to modify or add an unsafe lift to them to begin with. Otherwise, they're just as tough as any solid axle out there, but with a MUCH smoother ride.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Does anybody know exactly what safety standards the T4 needs to overcome to be sellable in the US?
Everything we require that Brazil doesn't, I suspect crumple zones would be the biggest obstacle... then roof crush resistance, airbags, all the electronical nannies that vehicles have now (Troller is a Brazilian company Ford purchased about 5 years ago, so their vehicles likely were never intended to be sold anywhere else but SA... forget about here in the US).

To have it meet US safety standards I suspect would entail having to design an entirely-new frame for it (something they'd likely have to do up here in Detroit). And then all the testing that goes with it, making sure all these airbags, crumple zones, electronic junk, etc., etc., etc., blah, blah, blah, all work properly. Not sure, but it probably would be more practical for Ford to design something from the ground up to be sold here instead.

I have yet to even hear about either the TTB or Twin I-beam suspensions ever failing. The only time they would is when people try to modify or add an unsafe lift to them to begin with. Otherwise, they're just as tough as any solid axle out there, but with a MUCH smoother ride.

×2
They do work quite rather well when set up properly.
It's '66-'70 models that had crappy axles (though they still continued with the tiny u-joints up until '78).
I s'pose you could also throw in '83-'85 models for the 8.8" rear axles that had particularly weak carriers with ¾" crosspins.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Does Ford still make the Flex? What about the Edge? If so, it's hard to figure out where Ford would shoehorn in another mid-sized SUV. At some point if you are making multiple vehicles that appeal to the same customers you are just spending money to compete with yourself - doesn't seem like a smart move to me (shrugs) but I don't run a car company. I presume the people that DO run Ford have the ability to forecast what people will ACTUALLY buy vs what they SAY they will buy.
2 doors, solid axles a removable top and "affordable?" Might as well demand unicorn skin seat cushions and a perpetual motion machine engine while you're at it. ;)

justcuz

Explorer
Ok

Yes I am saying any other 2 door SUV would not create enough of a presence to make it worth any manufacturer investing in it.
Although there are plenty of 2 door JK's on the road your assumption that it is outsold by the 4 door is correct.
The Toyota FJ suffered more from poor visibility and body, cowl and fender cracks, than it did IFS in my opinion. Practically everything but a Jeep is IFS now and it is not slowing down sales much.
Every 2 door SUV made in the last 50 years (going back to the 2 door Wagoneer) has been outsold and replaced by its 4 door counterpart when it was introduced.
Also keep in mind that crossovers are killing SUV sales now. Look at sales figures for Expeditions, Tahoes and Suburbans since the introduction of crossovers, their sales are significantly lower.
I just don't think it makes marketable sense to build a new 2 door SUV and I would be very surprised to see it developed, especially at Ford who has less wiggle room to absorb a failed product launch than anyone else.
Several years ago Ford had the Flex, and about 5 other crossover/wagons. They were stepping all over themselves from a marketing standpoint, but I think they have that straightened out now. Just Edge and Explorer as I recall.

FLoffroad1

Observer
Nope, they're still doing Escape, Edge, Flex, Explorer and Expedition for now.

I'd love a new Ranger, and a Bronco would be a great addition - any vehicle that can stand up to a JK is cool in my book (I just want more variety in the world of US-available off-the-lot offroaders).

Regardless, a new Bronco designed to be like an FJ or as a JK-fighter isn't a good business decision to me. Lots of people buy JKs because "It's a Jeep", etc. As much as I like Ford, I would imagine your average person just thinks of OJ when they hear "Ford Bronco" (if anything beyond, "Huh?").

justcuz

Explorer
Thanks!
Could not remember if the Edge replaced Escape or added to the line. Found Flex still in production after thinking I heard it was going to be discontinued. So technically 3 crossovers, 1 wagon and 1 BOF SUV with 2 wheelbases.
In doing more research it appears the Flex uses the same platform as the Explorer.
I kind of agree with you on the Bronco deal.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
After spending the summer camping with the subaru OB I'm even more convinced that there is a much needed gap a mid sized Pickup could fill. The Outback does a good job when we are doing non camping trips ie housed at the other end where we only are hauling clothing a few toys etc. It does OK on lightly packed quick weekend camping trips but the suspension is compressed to the point where anything other than a smooth dirt road will start to create challenges with ride height etc.

I know the Highlander has a better load carrying ability and would be the step up from the OB but I HATE that car its like the Camry of quasi SUV's LOL. If someone came up with a mid sized pickup with a decent 2nd row seat, car like crash safety and decent mileage it would be a pretty interesting prospect. I don't need a F150. The Nissan Novara with the more car like interior and more car like suspension but truck like capacity would be an interesting Subaru alternative.

The edge we actually looked at it several years ago but ended up with the 07 Sequoia we wanted the full seating for 8 mini van capability the Edge is only a tight 2 seater 3rd row vs the Sequoia's full three across with enough space to seat adults if needed. It's too big and too inefficient for road trips when just the 4 of us go which case the Subaru fits us fine but I can see it being a touch light on the load carrying ability as the kids get bigger ie heavier. Had a 4runner hated it will use the Sequoia over a 4runner anyday.

The Ford Ranger Sports a nice interior and could have potential to fill that gap though its current form almost challenges the existing F150 in capability so I doubt thats the Ranger we would see here in the states.

Flash Gordan

Overlanding Student
I already have the wife's approval to purchase a new Ranger when they finally hit the US market in 2018. Can't wait!!

justcuz

Explorer
Automotive News had an article about "Ford Feeling the Pressure" to sell a mid sized truck with Colorado and Canyons being good sellers for GM.
It's a no brainer for Ford since the platform currently exists. My money says it will be here in a couple years.
I also would not count out TrailBlazer and Everest platforms as direct competitors for the Grand Chrokee and Wagoneer, unless FCA goes broke and someone buys Jeep from them.

Adventurer
As soon as a solid front axle came into the conversation, well, it might as well have ended there. Just won't happen. IIRC, there was rumor that even Jeep would end up going with an IFS on the JK. I know loyalists will say no, but that was actually reported multiple times. Whether Jeep does it or not is another story..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles