Ford F700 Build

lowenbrau

Explorer
Hmmm...

163_0506_05l+2005_ford_f-650_overbilt_extended_crew+side_view.jpg

spencyg

This Space For Rent
...or just build a new box! That thing you have mocked up on there is all wrong...way too small for that size truck. If you're going to live with all of the compromises associated with a vehicle that large, AT LEAST have the living space to make it all worthwhile. You could put that box on an F350 chassis without any problems (and would get WAY better mileage!!). Seating for 4 and sleeping for 1 (or two friendly people). Just doesn't make sense. Custom box. Period.

That is all.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
On commercial trucks it is pretty easy to move the rear axle forward, springs and all, because the frame rails are straight. Just cut the heads off the spring hanger rivets, move forward desired amount, drill new holes and fill them with some frame bolts and nuts. Then just shorten the driveline. Pretty cheap and easy for medium duty truck stuff. A good truck shop should have frame bolts and nuts in stock. I see the truck has air brakes, they are much easier and cheaper to maintain than hydraulic brakes on medium duty trucks.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I don't think it would affect much of anything because you are only going to shorten the wheelbase about 20". As long as you use good bolts too attach the spring hangers your chassis intergrity will be the same and it should handle pretty much the same because you aren't changing the wheelbase that much. You might notice the turning radius is a little better. You will probably need to do some spring work on the back springs when you have your normal load on it because the stock springs will probably be too stiff. The frame rail is pretty much all the same from the cab back so it shouldn't matter where you put the spring hangers. If there is a crossmember where the spring hangers are now then move it too.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
And...

Maybe by moving it forward you can shave off a hundred pounds or two by cutting off the extra frame out back? Or maybe uses it to be the basis of a rear deck/porch?

hdemetrious

Adventurer
Would it be easier to change the wheel well locations on the box or move the rear axle forward? What would it cost to move the rear axle? How long would it take to do so?

lowenbrau

Explorer
Are you going to be happy with the break-over/ departure angles?

A qualified shop would do the axle move, same day, I'll bet. Wheelbase changes on heavy duty trucks are very common. It would seem like the most economic choice.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Would it be easier to change the wheel well locations on the box or move the rear axle forward? What would it cost to move the rear axle? How long would it take to do so?

There's a chance you'd compromise the integrity of the box's structure by trying to move the wheel wells, and then you have a big project to rebuild and reinforce everything.
Looking at the pics again, are the wheel wells even large enough for the tires on the new/larger truck?

T.Low

Expedition Leader
...or just build a new box! That thing you have mocked up on there is all wrong...way too small for that size truck. If you're going to live with all of the compromises associated with a vehicle that large, AT LEAST have the living space to make it all worthwhile. You could put that box on an F350 chassis without any problems (and would get WAY better mileage!!). Seating for 4 and sleeping for 1 (or two friendly people). Just doesn't make sense. Custom box. Period.

That is all.

+1

Luv the rig. I agree with Spence.

My dream when my family grows is to do this and graph an old SMB pop top into the middle of the roof for me to sleep in. Sweet!
http://www.xplorermotorhome.com/fordf750/F750_crew.html
http://www.xplorermotorhome.com/fordf750/3d_FlrPln_CS_rear01.html

hdemetrious

Adventurer
I am satisfied with the space that the box offers. The quality and design of the box are premium. Anything built for the healthcare industry is top of the line. It's all aluminum and super strong. The box is already outfitted with insulation, lighting, inverter, ac, cabinets, 120 connection, and exterior compartments. Those are just a few things that I can list. That's less work and expense to have those things. This box was on a f550 and it drove poorly. The new setup is only two feet longer than the old one. The f700 frame rails were designed to take the exact length of this box. Just because you can extend the rails and place something larger doesn't mean its beneficial to do so. I rather have a quality box with reasonable room. This way I'm not excessive on weight and there is less stress on the truck. Less is more

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles