Ford F700 Build

hdemetrious

Adventurer
Hello,

I have been reading through this site for a few months now. It has given so much information and great ideas. Last year I purchased an ambulance from the sheriff's auction. The motor needs some work. My mechanic advised me not to spend money on the motor. So I searched for a different vehicle to mount the box on. I just got a 1994 Ford F700 4x4 with a 5.9 Cummins. I am now in the process of removing the bed it came with. Then I will mount the ambulance box on. I plan on creating a passage from the cab to the cabin and putting a vw pop top on the roof of the box for extra space and ventalation. I plan on driving it to South America upon its completion.

Hani

ps I tried to attach some pics. I hope I am posting to the correct place.

Attachments

• received_6[1].jpg
    received_6[1].jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 696

hdemetrious

Adventurer
more pics

db5c099c.jpg
75a1de22.jpg
c6141371.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

That thing is a beast!!!!!

I can't wait to see how it turns out!

RR1

Explorer
Nice!!!

Good thing it has a PTO hydro winch, you are going to need it when you head down South.

We had a Chevy dump version of your truck in our fleet. I buried it to the axles at job once, it was a nightmare to get out, had to dig and pull it out with our crawler loader machine. I think we snapped the drive shaft on that job too.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Hint-hint...

SO, uh.... Mr. H...What is to become of the box that is on the truck now?
This will be a very cool build I think. Nice to start off in the too much truck end of the spectrum and work backwards....I'm watching this now!:sombrero:

hdemetrious

Adventurer
The utility bed should be removed today. I am trying to sell it. But I live in Key West where there is no commercial market for it. It is about 12 ft long and 8 feet wide with very limited rust for its age.

hdemetrious

Adventurer
The end of the frame was welded to the utility bed along with triangular steel supports. This was done to have a hitch. In order to remove the bed the welds had to be cut. I believe the bend upwards was to compensate for the gap between the frame and the bed

hdemetrious

Adventurer
7c80fd26.jpg
I plan on putting a passageway between the truck and the box. Now there is a 20 in gap between the two. In order to move the box forward I would have to move the wheel wells which I don't want to do. How should I deal with the gap?
11b5cdea.jpg

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Well, I see 3 options:

1. Cut the frame and shorten the wheel base so the camper gets closer to the cab.

2. Build a tunnel between the cab and camper.

3. Build out the cab backwards to mate up with the camper.

Saline

Adventurer
I'd say if the pass through is that important to you, continue the box lines with fabbed sheetmetal and framework. You can keep the passage way through the center and have storage cabinets built in on either side. These could be exterior accessible compartments similar to the ones already on the box. I wish I had photoshop skills but I don't.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
At least he has the option of making the air flow a bit better from coming over the roof of the truck and not smashing into the vertical front wall of the camper...

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I plan on putting a passageway between the truck and the box. Now there is a 20 in gap between the two. In order to move the box forward I would have to move the wheel wells which I don't want to do. How should I deal with the gap?]

The frame rails look flat out back. Can you relocate the suspension points forward, and shorten the drive shaft?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles