Ford E-Series Rear Shackle Flip

silvrzuki77

explorer
I could have swore I was told that I couldn’t run a sterling at the time because of the RSC in my 09 van. Otherwise I would not have built up that semi float 60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I could have swore I was told that I couldn’t run a sterling at the time because of the RSC in my 09 van. Otherwise I would not have built up that semi float 60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the van has RSC, the Sterling you're swapping in has to have wheel speed sensors at each hub vs one on the ring gear. We've done 3 late model vans with '15 or newer Sterling 10.5s. The newer Sterlings with the E-locker are the bomb! Super simple to set up.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Sorry for the late reply but ya as long as you get a 2014+ that has the outboard sensors at the wheels than your good. MG helped with mine and its really not hard if you know how to weld and can point a pinion towards a t-case.

LeeGX470

Sorry to resurrect such an old post, but I’d like to do this in place of the 4” blocks I currently have and need some advice. The rear of my van sags slightly so I’d like to add another inch as well. With that info, would you all recommend ordering the 6” kit vs the 4.5”? I already have an extra leaf on the pack too.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Well I'm pretty sure this is the only post like this so resurrecting isn't a big deal.

How much are you loaded down? I'd still probably go with the 4.5" and then look to maybe add bags or something for stability if your loaded down with alot of stuff. You can always do the 4.5" and then get the longer reverse shackles as well unless they dont sell them anymore.

LeeGX470

Well I'm pretty sure this is the only post like this so resurrecting isn't a big deal.

How much are you loaded down? I'd still probably go with the 4.5" and then look to maybe add bags or something for stability if your loaded down with alot of stuff. You can always do the 4.5" and then get the longer reverse shackles as well unless they dont sell them anymore.
That’s a really good suggestion! I think I’m just over 4 tons loaded but not sure how much of that is over the rear axle. But I really like your idea and will plan to do that. Thx!

LeeGX470

Wanted to post a follow-up with my experience doing the shackle flip. I decided to follow @Jsweezy ’s advice and order the 4.5” drop down and 1” extended shackle. Sky’s had it shipped the next day and it arrived quickly thereafter.

The install was straightforward and I put my new air hammer to good use removing the rivets. The shackle mount fit perfectly and is a beefy piece of kit. The bad news is that after the flip I netted almost the exact same height as the 4” block I had before. So I didn’t get the additional height I was hoping for.

The good news is that the vehicle does seem to ride better over bumps and it seems as though the rear flexes better. Could be psychosomatic so let me live in my bliss so I don’t get buyers remorse. :)

Seeing as I didn’t get the height I wanted, I bought a long Pro Comp add-a-leaf from Amazon and installed that today too. Now she sits a little high in the rear but will probably settle a little with time and when we load up. The ride is a little stiffer but barely noticeable. Long story short - thanks again for the share and I’m happy with the final results.

87E6FC6B-152F-415C-ACC8-E099DB6943B3.jpeg

AFD3A4DC-8346-43C6-9BA8-93B32E103637.jpeg

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
That add a leaf should within the pack. Putting it at the bottom and letting it contact an upper leaf at such an acute angle will cause point loading and fatigue.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Yeah it looks like that leaf should be moved up one spot in the back. Why is it arched and not contacting all the way? Can you post a better picture of the leaf pack?

mikejana

Last edited:

RXtacy

RXtacy

Just wanted to add to this thread. First thanks to jsweezy for the info. I just did the 2" shackle flip on my standard 2wd V-10 E-350. I have C880 springs in the front and a 3 5/8" thick 9 leaf pack in the rear. Ends up about 1.75" taller in the rear. With a standard leaf pack it would probably be about level.

20200308_183544.jpg

20200308_183600.jpg

20200308_183551.jpg

20200308_183640.jpg

20200307_173058.jpg

Snorkeld_Zuk

Adventurer
Awesome. So I'm the new guy here at Sky's and really want to build a 4x4 E350, and have had a couple customers tell me they were using this kit on their van. I decided to do a little research to see just how it is working out. We don't have it listed as an application but I will add it to the website. We are considering offering an 05+ Super Duty Axle Swap Kit in the future. It's still in the research phase of R&D though.
Jsweezy can I use some of your pictures?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles