Ford E-350 4x4 swap tracbar

Imbecile

For those who have done the 4x4 swap on their ford van... Did you allow your new coil springs to settle prior to installing the tracbar on the front?
If so how long did you wait prior to installing the tracbar and how miserable was the vehicle to drive without the tracbar installed?
Are you running a front swaybar?

I purchased the Timberline swap stuff and plan on starting the swap next month after i locate a lower mileage axle.

Betarocker

Adventurer
You'll need the tracbar immediately if you use coils with radius arms or parallel link arms as your suspension design to keep the axle from wandering left/right. If you use a triangulated 4 link, the axle stays centered due to the geometry of the links.

It should only take a few bounces to settle the springs into their mounts. If over time the axle shifts, readjust the tracbar (you're using an adjustable one right? ).

Imbecile

Yes the timberline bar is adjustable. My thinking was if i adjust it out to accomodate new springs it will be to long once the springs begin to settle and possibly crack something? I saw a thread on another forum where a guy completely ripped the frame where the tracbar attaches to its bracket. Not sure exactly what caused the frame on his to tear like that but im pretty sure it was abuse and or not knowing what he was doing in the first place.

Im going by what happend with the weldtec lift kit that was installed on my truck new. It took the springs about 1.5 months to settle in at which point the truck actually lost about an inch of lift. Course those were springs designed for a 1/2 ton ford bronco out of the box. The timberline kit is designed to be used with factory springs or similar.

Timberline uses 4 link arms but they arent triangulated.

Last edited:

Imbecile

Another question is... whats the proper method for installing the tracbar? Once the new 4 link suspension is installed how can a person be certain that the axle is actually centered prior to adjusting the tracbar length? Or do we just assume its a perfect world and that everything is sitting where it needs to be prior to installing the tracbar?

Betarocker

Adventurer
Have the vehicle on a level surface with wheels pointing straight and only the axle end of the tracbar connected. Get your heaviest friend to climb onto the bumper and bounce a few times to settle the height. Use a spirit level to compare both sides' relationship from fender to tire. Use a ratchet strap to pull the axle whichever way it needs to go. Get buddy to bounce again. Repeat as needed. Next adjust length of tracbar so the bolt slides in easily. Tighten jamb nut or pinch bolts. Torque tracbar bolt to really tight.

Imbecile

LOL, the only fat person i know is my x-wife. Somehow im thinking its not gonna go well if i was to call her up and tell her i need her to come over and sit on my trucks bumper. :D
Im thinking most likely she will make an immediate connection between my wanting her to bounce on the front of my truck and her dietary habits. Maybe i will just hire some random people off facebook market.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
The track bar centers the axle, so it’s pretty self explanatory. Adjust the track bar length to center the axle under the frame. Then, adjust drag link to center the steering wheel.
If the suspension settles considerably, re-center the axle (if in fact it had shifted) and re-center the steering wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles