Ford 7.3L

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
It would melt down quickly.

HD engines need to withstand full throttle for minutes up hill. Less power per liter, not more. BMEP, and EGT's are your limiters. Then leave room for AFR errors.

the 3.5L eco boost was designed to operate at 100% load for hours on end. that's an incredible amount of stress on a small displacement though

D

Deleted member 9101

the 3.5L eco boost was designed to operate at 100% load for hours on end. that's an incredible amount of stress on a small displacement though

The problem is that 100% load is in a lighter F150, going through a transmission with lower internal resistance, spinning a lighter drive shaft, and turning lighter gears and axles. The Super Duty is rated to tow and haul quite a bit more than the 3.5 was designed to reliably drag down the road.

With that being said, a 5.0 EcoBoost would be awesome!

D

Deleted member 9101

What load?

I doubt that it'll maintain 250 kilowatts for any length of time.

Uhhh... I ran my 3.5 pretty hard (towing 10k running 70-80mph) and it never flinched.

The problem is the Super Duty its self adds more stress and so will the increased loads.

I am really interested in the new engine. I am getting a feeling that it will be perfect for what I want to do with my dream build. The only thing I wish Ford or the EPA would address is the absolute PITA that is getting an "extended range" fuel tank for gasoline. I am really hoping Ford offers a 40 or 50 gallon fuel tank. I know they are using the same tank for gassers and diesels. Factoring in the lost space for the DEF tank they can easily fit a bigger tank for the gassers. Call it petty, but one thing I love about my F150 is I can get almost 700 miles out of a full tank.

If the rumors are true that Ford is coming up with a super duty to compete the power wagon. That will be a no brainer for me. It would be a factory warrantied equivalent to exactly what I want to build. Sure you are paying out the nose, but I guess I just hate money in my pocket LOL.

I am really sold on the new Ford trucks. My 2015 F150 with the 2.7tt has been bullet proof for me. I took a new F250 for a test drive and my impression is pretty simple. Super Duty is damn near the same size of my F150 and handles great. If I am going to get a new truck, it's going to be a Crewcab with a 6ft bed. The F150 at those specs is the size of the F250/350. I have zero reason not to buy the super duty over the F150 if I plan on running 35s or other larger tire. It just makes sense to get the roughly same sized vehicle that will be absolutely over build for what I want to do in terms of payload and towing. I'll eat the MPG loss with the heavier vehicle. I just want the same or more cruising range. The more robust build of the Super Duty also is extremely attractive.

Now if AEV could find it in their hearts to support the Ford trucks I would be in hog heaven, of course, still looking for a miracle for the fuel tank to increase range.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Pack your intercooler with mud and run that test again.
Oops, 87 octane...
3rd gear, full throttle, for 10 minutes.
110 degree heat.
Idle 5 hours a day.

I'll start to be impressed then.

There's more to engine durability than your hp/tq figures. The 3.5 isn't remotely suitable for things the Super Duty does every day. If it was, it would be available in one.

Big trucks, are detuned, naturally aspirated, low compression slugs for a reason. The new 7.3l will have less than 1/3rd the power it could have, if it was anywhere other than a big truck.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

Pack your intercooler with mud and run that test again.
Oops, 87 octane...
3rd gear, full throttle, for 10 minutes.
110 degree heat.
Idle 5 hours a day.

I'll start to be impressed then.

Been there, done that (minus the mud).

I towed a 10k enclosed trailer at 70+ MPH in the Florida heat and humidity for 170K and had zero problems. The truck idled for hours to keep our equipment cool and it never once cared. It only ran 87 octane and did just fine. It crisscrossed the country numerous times for training and had no problem maintaining the speed limit on any grade for any length of time, regardless of the load behind it.

While I get what you are saying about durability, either EcoBoost engine is a reliable motor that can take a beating with out flinching.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles