Ford 7.3L

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Doubt it. It takes a certain amount of fuel to move these trucks. Gears ain't going to help that much. A 6L engine at 18% throttle, isn't going to be much different than a 7L engine at 15% throttle.

The golden question that nobody has asked.......

What's the 1st gear ratio, and what's the 10th gear overdrive? A lower 1st gear would be nicer off the line, especially with a bigger engine. And a taller overdrive, might be handy to make up for 4.88 gears.

The 6.2 already pulls away from it's competitors with ease, the bigger engine is going to be really nice with the right rear gears.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I'm pretty sure the new 7.3 will make more financial sense for the majority of customers over the diesel.

The 6.2 already does.

But the 7.3 will most likely fall in between the 6.2 and the 6.7PSD as far as torque goes, so I wouldn't expect stellar MPG.
With the 10-speed, MPG might be similar to the 6.2 empty, but loaded it will most likely be considerably thirstier than the 6.2

Wallygator

Adventurer
It will be interesting to find out which model you can get the 7.3 in. May not even be able to get one in the F250 or maybe even the F350. Also will they let you get one in the XL trim?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
They are saying ''all trims, even down to the f250''.

This engine doesn't make a ton of sense in a 250. But there are diesel 250's out there, so...

brp

Observer
Am I the only one who thinks the 7.3 demonstrates stagnation if not a step backwards? It's going to be 2020.....

It seems to me that this engine is going to possibly be marginally better than a V10 from 20 years ago.

I know Ford offers a good range of engines. In 2020 I think they would be better to offer something equally forwarding looking as a 7.3 gas engine is backward looking.

Maybe this engine will exceed expectations, but in the grand scheme of things it will have bad MPG, average power to low HP/Tq, and offer nothing really notable, as far as I can see.

I hope to be wrong.

Theoretician

Adventurer
Am I the only one who thinks the 7.3 demonstrates stagnation if not a step backwards? It's going to be 2020.....

It seems to me that this engine is going to possibly be marginally better than a V10 from 20 years ago.

I know Ford offers a good range of engines. In 2020 I think they would be better to offer something equally forwarding looking as a 7.3 gas engine is backward looking.

Maybe this engine will exceed expectations, but in the grand scheme of things it will have bad MPG, average power to low HP/Tq, and offer nothing really notable, as far as I can see.

I hope to be wrong.

They’re setting this up to compliment a hybrid system. All of this focus on packaging means that they need space in the engine bay for something big, like an electric motor and battery. I’d wager that this platform is designed for horsepower and optimized for highway use but is tuned for torque for initial release. 2025 or so (once the idea is validated by the F150 hybrid) they’ll come out with something like Ram’s super-alternator “hybrid” motor-assist system, only then Ford will have the space to fit a larger electric motor assist (hard mounted to the block, maybe in place of the starter motor?) and battery in the engine bay to assist the gas motor for torque demand.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer

I hope to be wrong.

I don't think it's going to impress the expo or ecoboost crowd.

It's a work truck engine. They have to be a bit wheezy to survive hard work. If the wheezy low output GM 8.1, 8.8, Ford 460, or Ford 6.8 were good engines, that you enjoyed, then this one should be even better.

My 8.1 was slower than my 6.2, by a pretty bad margin. But that engine never failed, and might be the best gm engine ever made. Give or take oil consumption.

A big block, super oversquare short stroke, DOHC, would be perfect. But nobody would like it, because the trans would have to constantly shift gears, and some old guys fear rpm gauges still.

I expect 440hp, 500tq. No faster than 6.2 lightly loaded, but an advantage when loaded heavy. It'll likely do everything the diesel will, for 90% of people out there.

I'm hoping this engine will catch attention at work, so I don't get stuck with a gm.

I hope to be wrong.

Not a step backwards but a step in simplifying the engine package. Be able to deliver reasonable performance for the average user, offer lower maintenance cost, and provide long term service life. No it is not going to post big diesel like numbers but will surely surpass the 6.2L. It is a fleet truck motor! Take a look at the new GM motor and how complicated and how they had to use their bag of magic tricks to accomplish the needs. Which one do you think the fleet guys are going to go after? That cost per road mile speaks very loudly to fleet managers.

I don't think it's going to impress the expo or ecoboost crowd.

It's a work truck engine. They have to be a bit wheezy to survive hard work. If the wheezy low output GM 8.1, 8.8, Ford 460, or Ford 6.8 were good engines, that you enjoyed, then this one should be even better.

My 8.1 was slower than my 6.2, by a pretty bad margin. But that engine never failed, and might be the best gm engine ever made. Give or take oil consumption.

A big block, super oversquare short stroke, DOHC, would be perfect. But nobody would like it, because the trans would have to constantly shift gears, and some old guys fear rpm gauges still.

I expect 440hp, 500tq. No faster than 6.2 lightly loaded, but an advantage when loaded heavy. It'll likely do everything the diesel will, for 90% of people out there.

I'm hoping this engine will catch attention at work, so I don't get stuck with a gm.

I think you may be close. We might get surprised about how wheezy it is not. I don't think we will see more than 550 ft-lbs of torque. It fits into the slot between the 6.2 and the diesel. It's for the guy that needs more but doesn't want to make the move to diesel. A guy like me that likes diesels but it is not something I can't work on. Now give me a gas motor and I am good to go.

I was reviewing the detail pics this morning and noticed how easy it is going to lend itself to adding a supercharger like something from Whipple. Intake design is straight forward. Port entry is straight shot down, it is a dry intake and no china wall to worry about sealing. Injector ports are cast into the head and not in the intake!! Drive system might be the most complicated part of the whole thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles