Ford 7.3L

Interesting!!! Not overloaded with ECU controlled features.
Single cam VCT Not as versatile as dual cam VCT but allows for a more compact engine package that would rarely see above 4500 RPM.
Not many glimpses of the intake but looks like no intake runner control. Thank goodness no DoD (AFM) just a traditional low friction valvetrain.

Piston design looks interestingly light! Less reciprocal weight. Again choosing to go with long wearing but low friction components. Notice how tight the rings are spaced. Piston looks to be a simple dished flat top to allow a more controlled burn with no flame front interference. Would love to see the chamber design in the cylinder head.

Looks like the intake port design has taken some clues from the Mod Motor and is from the top down rather than from the side. Exhaust port in the head looks good but I can see aftermarket exhaust if the chassis width will allow a straighter exit from the head rather than the hard turn just outside the head. Keeps the engine package narrow.

Interesting to see they went with Coil Near Plug rather than Coil On Plug. Again allows for a narrowing of the engine package.

Packaged with the 10 speed automatic is a wonderful idea as it allows the engine to operate in a constant narrow RPM window. Not to say it will be RPM limited but rather than large swings in RPM between it gear it will be more diesel like with less RPM drop after each gear change.

Will it have the torque of a diesel, it is doubtful, but it will drive like one. Looks like they are targeting fleets where less maintenance cost are desired. Nothing against diesels but they are labor intensive and parts cost are higher.

Isn't the 10 speed already available behind the 6.2? It is the shared GM and Ford product that originated with a 6 speed from ZF. They developed the Ford 6R80 and GM 6L80E based off the ZF design.

The F150 is the 10R80 and while this refers to a new larger transmission with more torque capacity, I would say it is still based on the 10R design with a just with a higher torque rating. Think something like a 10R100 or such. The additional capabilities they describe it having are strictly from ECU programming. I do not see Ford or GM straying far from the mechanical design for a high capacity rating.
10-Speed Automatic
The new heavy duty 10-speed automatic transmission uses the same design philosophy as the transmission that is currently available in the F-150 trucks, but it is physically larger and employs latest technologies to withstand the big horsepower and torque numbers from the new Super Duty engines. The transmission also has selectable drive modes: normal, tow/haul, eco, slippery, and deep sand/snow.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I like that they finally went away from the overhead cam engine. The guy in the video even said the overhead cam makes sense if you’re going over 6000 RPM, so why did they have overly complicated overhead cam engines in trucks for the last 20 years? This much more compact engine is going to find its way into a lot of swaps and old vehicles and It’ll be cool to see that, they finally got some of the market away from the LS engines. Who wants to see a 7.3 gas swaped into an old highboy? I do.

I like that they finally went away from the overhead cam engine. The guy in the video even said the overhead cam makes sense if you’re going over 6000 RPM, so why did they have overly complicated overhead cam engines in trucks for the last 20 years? This much more compact engine is going to find its way into a lot of swaps and old vehicles and It’ll be cool to see that, they finally got some of the market away from the LS engines. Who wants to see a 7.3 gas swaped into an old highboy? I do.

SHHHHH you read my mind. By 2025 I will be able to purchase the complete motor and transmission from a salvage for my Bronco LOL.

Ok I maybe wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
In reading this article they refer to it as a "TorqShift"'
https://jalopnik.com/2020-ford-super-duty-gets-big-7-3-liter-gas-engine-tor-1832357929
That line of transmissions included the 5R110W which was for some reason called a 5 speed with overdrive, actually a 6 speed.
http://www.dieselhub.com/trans/5r110w-torqshift.html
It does have the functional design is similar to the 6R and 10R series but is a clean sheet of paper design. Probably for the first time gas and diesel will share a common bellhousing design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles