Ford 7.3L

D

Deleted member 9101

Am I the only one who thinks the 7.3 demonstrates stagnation if not a step backwards? It's going to be 2020.....

It seems to me that this engine is going to possibly be marginally better than a V10 from 20 years ago.

I know Ford offers a good range of engines. In 2020 I think they would be better to offer something equally forwarding looking as a 7.3 gas engine is backward looking.

Maybe this engine will exceed expectations, but in the grand scheme of things it will have bad MPG, average power to low HP/Tq, and offer nothing really notable, as far as I can see.

I hope to be wrong.

So... more HP and TQ than currently available, in a simple platform, that meets emissions requirements, and is designed to be efficient and long lived is a step backwards to you?

Just because its not the most technologicaly advanced motor on the road in no way means that it's a step backwards. In fact, it's a giant leap forward. Ford managed to make a simple engine that meets customers expectations.... when was the last time thet happened?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
It's ability to run lean, longer, might be a big step forward.

The larger valves and better valve train geometry is huge. A 460 never even dreamed of such things.

I think the huge step forward, is new technology and higher quality, allowing us to bring back an old engine style. With a proper trans.

Last edited:
Wonder when it'll have dual injectors?
My guess, 2 years wait. They head already has the spot in the combustion chamber for the DI injector. The picture that shows the existing fuel injector port into the intake runner is mis-identified as being for direct injection port. The picture of the chamber side of the head shows the boss where the DI injector will be installed it. Directly across the chamber from the spark plug.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Direct Injection add to the complications. There are pictures posted of GM's new engine. Look at the device that is driven off the top of the camshaft. Direct Injection is adding diesel complications to a gas engine.
I didn't catch that the Ford doesn't have DI. It would seem that the gm will make more power per cubic inch, not that that matters. I wonder how the two engines will compare in low range power, guessing the ford will have the edge.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Direct Injection add to the complications. There are pictures posted of GM's new engine. Look at the device that is driven off the top of the camshaft. Direct Injection is adding diesel complications to a gas engine.

So many long term valve issues with DI. For a long term hauler, not even worth the extra power.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I wonder if the tpi injector, can clean the valves for a di injection setup.

My bike has proper shower injectors for track use, and tpi for street use. So it's not a crazy idea.

brp

Observer
It's ability to run lean, longer, might be a big step forward.

The larger valves and better valve train geometry is huge. A 460 never even dreamed of such things.

I think the huge step forward, is new technology and higher quality, allowing us to bring back an old engine style. With a proper trans.

I don't disagree with you Buliwyf. I'm sure it is well made, and gets close to optimizing what the form factor can do.

I can imagine a scenario in 10 years where there are 100,000's of these engines out there, fuel prices are high, emissions rules/expectations are much tougher, and vehicles with these engines are sort of stranded assets. This engine is probably going to be "sensitive" to these issues because it will be in applications that see a lot of mileage and are not efficient.

I could well wrong, but I just as easily could be right, and Ford already has a few options in the large gas engine category.

I would be excited by something like a I4 turbo diesel PHEV with 1500ft lbs and 30mpg unloaded. Besides the performance and efficiency, you would have great mountain driving, eliminate the trans and driveshaft(s), and t-case.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
That's the future. When batteries are gone at least.
IIRC, all of the ERS systems Ford/gm/Toyota looked into, would cost as much as the diesel upgrade and weigh as much.

We'll see it in cars first. Rear wheel drive. No xfer case, no front drive shaft. Just a front diff and a front electric motor. AWD through electricity.

Toyotas race car for example. I think it's rwd, with a front electric motor for awd. I believe the rear has a transmission, and rear electric motor.

https://interestingengineering.com/...urance-race-car-switches-from-electric-to-gas

Batteries are what's killing the innovation. Not to mention that the hybrid system is 900v DC, and the best batteries burn better than a gas tank could ever dream of. Good news is, that privateer non-hybrid teams are allowed a ton more power. And will be allowed even more power and fuel next year. The hybrids will have to be good to survive.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles