Ford 7.3L Diesel Question

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Vandy can you send me the "7.3 bible" I am new to these motors and want to learn everything there is to know about them. I have a 97 f350 PSD. My emails is m.sawyer528@gmail.com

Thanks,

Matt

Hey Matt, I am in Oceanside as well. If you ever need help, lemme know. I have a '97. Ford Truck Enthusiast is the best forum, I have found, for these trucks. The guys on there are very cool and very knowledgeable. Seriously though, hit me up. I live right off O'Side Blvd and Coast Hwy.

Vandy

Adventurer
Sent. Let me know if it came thru. I'm on my cell at work. If not I'll send it from the house on my laptop

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey Guys

The latest from the dealer is this. I still haven't been told what the code is, when the check engine light comes on; it's not a CPS since they said that usually causes an issue wear you decelerate but can't accelerate afterwards. They talked with Ford and Ford wants them to change the High Pressure Pump (the fuel pressure regulator has already been changed), which means a whole disassembly of my vehicle and the motor. My issue is the loss of 3+ month of warranty for a vehcile I havent been able to use since they messed up my old motor. And still don't know if this will fix the cold starting issue. My motor came as a new complete long block with new glow plugs, harness, everything and a 2year unlimited warranty. Ford Customer Service was useless when it came to extending the warranty and the dealer (Bob Smith Ford, Billings, MT) has no idea when it will be done (again). Nov. 1st, 2015 is when all of this started. I paid over $1338 on the original bill for the initial glow plugs, GPR, and Fuel filter when they blew my original motor with only 135K. According to Ford C.S. i can't even take it to another Ford dealer for repairs because this was a dealer related issue, but now with this last issue being Ford's, I wanted another new motor because of the loss of 3+ month warranty trying to get this thing running correctly. Lawyer is next avenue, will have to see, but frustration has about peaked.

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
I still have money on CPS, it causes all sorts of starting issues, as well as just shutting off and never starting back up. But. In light of the fact that it's a swapped motor, there's a chance they damaged the wiring harness during the install.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Hey Guys

The latest from the dealer is this. I still haven't been told what the code is, when the check engine light comes on; it's not a CPS since they said that usually causes an issue wear you decelerate but can't accelerate afterwards. They talked with Ford and Ford wants them to change the High Pressure Pump (the fuel pressure regulator has already been changed), which means a whole disassembly of my vehicle and the motor. My issue is the loss of 3+ month of warranty for a vehcile I havent been able to use since they messed up my old motor. And still don't know if this will fix the cold starting issue. My motor came as a new complete long block with new glow plugs, harness, everything and a 2year unlimited warranty. Ford Customer Service was useless when it came to extending the warranty and the dealer (Bob Smith Ford, Billings, MT) has no idea when it will be done (again). Nov. 1st, 2015 is when all of this started. I paid over $1338 on the original bill for the initial glow plugs, GPR, and Fuel filter when they blew my original motor with only 135K. According to Ford C.S. i can't even take it to another Ford dealer for repairs because this was a dealer related issue, but now with this last issue being Ford's, I wanted another new motor because of the loss of 3+ month warranty trying to get this thing running correctly. Lawyer is next avenue, will have to see, but frustration has about peaked.

I guess my first and only question is...Why in the world is this at the dealer in the first place? I wouldn't trust my 7.3 with ANY of those idiots. You need to find a diesel mechanic that knows the 7.3. Good grief...I just don't understand the dealer mentality, but that's just me. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

BajaSurfRig

Hi BBslider001 I will have to hit you up one of these days. I still have alot to learn about this motors. I live less than a half mile from you in Oceanside. What would you say the best way to keep the coolant within the correct tolerances? Do you have a secondary coolant filter?

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

Ok guys. I finally got my ride back Friday night and it seems that the check engine light and possibly the starting issue (at least as far as the new motor goes) was related to the high pressure pump. The vehicle had no problems starting when it was about 30 degrees Sat night (I'm curious about colder temps though) and started right away with a little smoke for a few min. I then drove it for about 80 miles with no issues, good power. Going to try camping out of it in 2 weeks if I can get a couple days off (Bigfoot stuff). Time to get back to working mods, have to mount my HD 2000W inverter (tripplite PV2000fc).

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I guess my first and only question is...Why in the world is this at the dealer in the first place? I wouldn't trust my 7.3 with ANY of those idiots. You need to find a diesel mechanic that knows the 7.3. Good grief...I just don't understand the dealer mentality, but that's just me. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I'm part of that whole dealer / independent service ecosystem and wanted to chime in here... in my experience, the dealers rapidly lose interest in vehicles after they get over 5-6 years old. Dealerships have to invest a lot to stay current with the latest vehicle models, and that's what their focus is.

On the other hand, independents see vehicles that are older / on their second or third owner. It's not necessarily a matter of competence - but it certainly is a matter of repetition and cycles of learning.

Take your vehicle to someone who works on it day-in and day-out. For a 7.3 that probably is not a franchise dealer...

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Hi BBslider001 I will have to hit you up one of these days. I still have alot to learn about this motors. I live less than a half mile from you in Oceanside. What would you say the best way to keep the coolant within the correct tolerances? Do you have a secondary coolant filter?

Sorry it's taken me awhile to get back to you. I haven't logged in in awhile. I just did a flush when i first got the truck and filled with FleetCharge that already has SCA in it. You can get it at O'Reillys. I test it once a year and so far, so good. I don't worry about it too much just knowing I use coolant with the additive already in it.

Yeah, just hit me up whenever. I'm around.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey Guys,

BB Slider stated: "I guess my first and only question is...Why in the world is this at the dealer in the first place?"

The reason for this was due to the fact that the person I bought it from was next door to the ambulance service that operated the vehicle and when I asked them who maintained it, two dealers were mentioned, one of whom is where I took it. I hoped that because they had some experience with the vehicle, then things would be repaired with little problems. The good thing is that it appears to be working correctly and no more issues with the engine. if I should need anymore diesel work, I will be using another dedicated diesel repair shop we have here in Billings Heights.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey,

A little update. I now have about 500 miles on the new engine and about 200 miles since the last repair. Everything has been working good, the motor is strong and been reliable. I haven't yet checked mileage but I am planning an upcoming trip with it and will report back once I have the info. I did remove my microwave since I needed more accessible storage for my research bags (5.11). The last trip out was to the Pryor Mountains south of Billings and found it to be very comfortable sleeping. More mods are being planned.

BBslider001

Diesel Head

Kind of a late reply as I am not on this forum that much. I use FleetCharge. It has the additives you need to protect from cavitation. I do not have a coolant filter. They are great to have, but I have a pretty clean cooling system at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles