Ford 6.0L PSD

freewayross

Adventurer
Mine was a 2006. Detuned because chassis cab. Box stock F350 DRW. EGR failed making the engine puke white smoke 300miles from home. Then the head failed later hydro locking the engine. And during it's entire life, the engine made more power than the radiator could cool. The throttle pedal and temp gauge were pretty much tied together in Florida.

Absolute junk.

Fords goal was to eventually be able to mount the FF under the truck, and weld the hood closed. So the whole "you need to be a wrench" bit, is completely untrue. And just a product of the engines dismal reliability.

Plenty of power, and 16-19mpg. But 2.5 legit 300 mile plus, towing bills in just 150,000 miles is way too excessive.

- And why did the EGR fail because the oil cooler passages got blocked.
- Why did the cooler get blocked, no coolant filter? Did not switch to ELC CAT -1 coolant from the garbage Ford coolant? Or you may have done those things but may be it was already too late.
- How could you have known the Cooler is failing and avoided getting starnded? By watching the EOT/ ECT delta

Again as I said, it's not for everyone unless you know about how the engine works. If you are fit it forget it kind of person than go with gas. My friend has a 6.0 with 190+ k miles no catastrophic failures yet.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Even with the lower MPG, you'll come out ahead with the gas engine. Diesel repair costs are astronomical and not to mention the initial added cost for a diesel engine and higher cost of diesel fuel.

I do agree.

In my particular case, I bought my ‘97 Crestline with about 200k miles for about $1k USD. In 4 years and 1000+ hours I’ve replaced the O-rings on the fuel bowl, the fuel filter, and oil changes every 5000 miles. She runs like a top at 17k hours, and I wouldn’t hesitate to drive it across the country. The thing it has going for it is it was maintained to exceptionally high standards for the first 13k hours. It appears reasonably well for the next 3k hours, and I’ve taken good care of it since I’ve owned it :D

broncobowsher

Adventurer
We have a couple of older 6.0s at work. They are driven in a very commercial application. When they are started, they are driven all day long. No short drives to the grocery store, no commuting empty to work. One had a trailer for 99% of its life, only coming off when the truck went in for service. Only little things needed fixing. Biggest one I remember was a rear main seal.

Those who bought a 6.0 as a daily driver and sometimes pulled a trailer on a weekend, The ones in the employee parking lot. Those were not happy. They always had issues. Typically dumped really fast after warranty. If not there was about $6k dumped into the refresh. Everything from ARP head bolts (which I understand are approved by Ford) to EGR delete, coolant filters, and a good collection of parts from Bullerproofdiesel.com. With all the good parts in, and typically a bit of an aftermarket tune, they were happy owners.

As for buying a 6.0, I would look for one that is stock and in good running condition. The price should be pretty low since they don't have a good reputation. Then put all the good parts on yourself. And all of them, leave one off and you might as well not do any of them. Then you will own it forever because it will still never be worth what you invested in it. Hope you like it.

As for the V10, watch the years because some were will known for blowing out spark plugs. And I think some also had the broken 2-piece spark plug issue as well. Although I do recall that they were rated as the best choice for a motorhome. The initial costs were less, maintenance was less expensive as well. Yes, they drank fuel. But that excess fuel costs never caught up with the price of the diesel.

As for the ambulance reference... That goes back to the mid 80s. Ford was having issues with gas powered ambulances catching fire. The carburated 460 gas engine. Nobody could figure out why. The easy fix, only sell the ambulance package in diesel. And that lasted until the contract with IH died. The 6.0 was the last engine that would fit the 70's Econoline chassis. The 6.4 didn't fit, thus you could still get the 6.0 when the trucks had the 6.4 engine. Ford and IH in those last years was not a happy relationship, forget the lawers there were judges involved in enforcing contracts that neither wanted any part in. Thus Ford built there own 6.7 engine without IH. At that point the Econline was on the deathbed and no attempt was made to stuff the 6.7 into the chassis. But Ford still wanted to sell ambulance chassis. So they pulled there diesel only policy and started selling the last few years of the Econoline with a gas engine only. After 30 odd years of no gasoline ambulances, now that is all you can get.

java

Expedition Leader
Ill add an anecdotal data point. I have a V10 Winnie (e350), and now have a 6.4 box truck (f450) conversion. Both 4x4, both similar weight/aero drag (box truck a bit worse).

V10 got 8mpg staying under 65, liked to rev, still pretty slow going up the passes (40-45ish?).

6.4 gets 10mpg staying under 68. pulls passes much better, ~30psi at 1000egts seems to be its happy spot. I did a basic tune and DPF delete. I'm not super up to date on the 6.0's but I know they want a little more to be happy.

A little better gas mileage, a lot more expensive opil changes, and a lot harder maintenance, its STUFFED in the engine bay.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
X2 it is definitely stuffed in there. Add an hour (to any time to do a job under the hood of a truck) to remove stuff that’s in the way... and double or triple the time to do the job.

RE & RE of the fuel bowl was about 8-10 hours work over the course of two weeks. The same job on an F series would likely only take a chunk of the afternoon.

On a bad day I’ll get 12+ MPG

eporter

Adventurer
X2 it is definitely stuffed in there. Add an hour (to any time to do a job under the hood of a truck) to remove stuff that’s in the way... and double or triple the time. The same job on an F series would likely only take a chunk of the afternoon.

Totally true. It took me awhile to figure out the right sequence of moves to rotate/twist/slide the ambo 215amp alternator out of the van engine bay. Same thing on a truck is just lift straight up/out! Diesel vans are cool, but that engine is so shoehorned in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94