Ford 6.0L PSD

Sixinarow

Adventurer
Hi all. I know many of your on here one the E-350 in one trim or another. I've been debating an E-350 Turtletop for a conversion. One that I found has the 6.0L.

I've had diesel trucks before, one Ford 6.9L and then four Dodges. Two 5.9Ls and two 6.7Ls.

Being a Dodge guy I didn't care to own the 6.0L. However, seeing as I may go the van route, sticking with the Ford E-350, I really only have two options in the years I can afford, the 6.0L or the V10.

Of course, if I went older I could get the 7.3L.

After seeing ad after ad of Sportsmobiles and other modified vans, I came to realize most of the 6.0s for sale had been "bulletproof. However, mostly all the 6.0 shuttles I've seen are bone stock.

So, I guess my question is, depending on mileage and price: "Would you consider a 6.0L PSD without any preventive mods done?"

And if you said yes, what should I should I do first? Gaskets and studs?

Or just say "screw it" and get a V10?

Thanks

eporter

Adventurer
Seems like a question that’s been around and around with no clear answer.

I had a 7.3 ambo and now I’ve got a v10 chinook. I like how much quieter the v10 is. Smells less too. I’m not towing or anything, and I use the vehicle infrequently so mpg isn’t an issue when compared to the premiums 7.3 rigs carry. That extra cash buys a lot of gas...

All good rigs though. Seems like a lot of issues with the 6.0 are people tuning and abusing them.

Just go with what you can get a good deal on, and enjoy using it.

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The term "bulletproofed" has become a generic term and from my real world experience most of them have been partially or not fixed at all. Even after "bulletproofing" there will be issues, there's no such things as a bulletproofed 6.0.

Go V10 with a 5R110 and enjoy the reliability!

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
The term "Bulletproof" came from the company below and their efforts, products, procedures, patents and trademark for repairing and upgrading the known defects in the 6.0 Powertroke engine.

Because of this companies efforts the term "Bulletproof" has become the generic term used to refer to repairs and upgrades made to a 6.0 Powerstoke engine to eliminate the inherent problems with the EGR system and other problems associated with this engine.

https://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/

Sixinarow

Adventurer
Thanks, guys. I'm sure the topic has been discussed many times before. Having the 6.0 in a vehicle with a higher empty weight and higher GVWR won't help, either, I'm sure. Then, put a trailer behind it...

V10 it is. I guess I just needed reassurance!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Up here Ambulances with 6.0 PSD were replaced with gassers after always being Diesel. Many articles I’ve read (& common sense) would indicate it was a financial decision. The injectors go it’ll be $8000 for a 6.0. That’s a heck of a lot of fuel... and the injectors are only one thing.

That said I couldn’t stomach 10 mpg... I love my 7.3 and won’t look back. After a certain point age is just a number.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Local UPS delivery vans are now Gasser's.

Read into that whatever you wish!

One thing is for sure. UPS buys a Hell of Alot more diesel fuel and gas than all of us combined and they have jumped OFF the diesel bandwagon for local deliveries.

eporter

Adventurer
Local UPS delivery vans are now Gasser's.

One thing is for sure. UPS buys a Hell of Alot more diesel fuel and gas than all of us combined and they have jumped OFF the diesel bandwagon for local deliveries.

You sure about that? All I can find is that UPS is switching to natural gas. The UPS trucks here in Portland are starting to switch to CNG and even electric. Kind of crazy seeing a big UPS truck go silently by, with no diesel clatter. Well, they do have this beep sound they make to let you know they're coming.

https://www.trucks.com/2017/06/28/ups-slashes-gasoline-diesel-fuel-use/

"Shipping giant UPS is making a substantial bet that the end of the road is in sight for gasoline and diesel fuels.

The company, which operates 114,000 vehicles, said Tuesday that it has launched a massive transition whereby 40 percent of the ground fuel it uses will come from sources other than conventional gasoline and diesel by 2025. That would double its current alternative fuel use."

Hmmm... anyone convert an old 460 V8 to CNG? V10 CNG?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I have. A CNG V10, turbocharged (BIG turbo), will have about 200HP, and hate the winter. Absolutely gutless. A turbocharged 460 is even worse. Not a bad fork lift engine though.

V10 > 6.0. Skip all of the LP and CNG nonsense.

Ford's 6.7 is going to have to be solid for at least another 10 more years to make up for the 6.0 and 6.4.

D

Deleted member 9101

My uncle had the V10 in his class C RV and loved it for the 240,000ish miles that he owned it. Other than it being a thirsty girl, it was cheap to maintain and didn't give him any problems.

If you want pore power... they make tuners, intakes, and long tube headers for them ?

freewayross

Adventurer
I think the problems with 6.0 has been blown out of proportions........ most people who bash 6.0 have never owned one and just propogate what they have read online....... which may be perceived as another 6.0 owner with problem. 6.0 had a relatively wrong run and the later year ones had most of the quirks worked out. The 6.4 was way more unreliable than the 6.0.

The 6.0 in it's stock form is reliable with usual maintenance, even more so in van's where ford did not uptune the navistar engine to compete with Dodge and Chevy line of pickups performance. Most cases where there's been catastrophic failures were because the engines were tuned but supporting mods were not done to handle the tunes. There are many examples of these engines crossing 200k without major rebuilds. What I will agree to is 6.0 does need a lot of attention/ knowhow from a owner........ as in sticking to correct oil/ filters and maintenance intervals watching the EOT/ECR/TOF/ EGT and few sensors among other things. But then that's the case with a lot of diesels. I have a MK5 VW TDI, the CAMS on these engines wear out at around 100k and that's on a stock engine.

A diesel vehicle is not for you if you don't like wrenching or don't have understanding or interest in knowing the vehicles quirk and solely rely on a mechanic. I personally got a diesel cos I like their mpg, i get around 17mpg (2wd) driving conservatively and price of diesel here is same as regular gas (Arizona)

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Mine was a 2006. Detuned because chassis cab. Box stock F350 DRW. EGR failed making the engine puke white smoke 300miles from home. Then the head failed later hydro locking the engine. And during it's entire life, the engine made more power than the radiator could cool. The throttle pedal and temp gauge were pretty much tied together in Florida.

Absolute junk.

Fords goal was to eventually be able to mount the FF under the truck, and weld the hood closed. So the whole "you need to be a wrench" bit, is completely untrue. And just a product of the engines dismal reliability.

Plenty of power, and 16-19mpg. But 2.5 legit 300 mile plus, towing bills in just 150,000 miles is way too excessive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles