Ford 5.4L 3V Triton bulletproofing.

dbhost

My 2004 F150 4x4 XLT Supercab is equipped with the 5.4L 3V Triton, Airraid CAI tube, and a K&N,

At 116K miles the variable timing system gave up the ghost, grenading the cam phasers as well as the chain tensioners.

Now this is a known design issue with the timing set being vulnerable to low oil pressure, and a bad oil pump design.

I am planning on a bulletproof build indluding machining to open up and polish the oil journals and upgrading the oil pump to the Melling high volume / high pressure unit.

What other upgrades can I make to improve the reliability of this notoriously flaky engine?

Overlandtowater

They pretty much are! I've not hear any bad things about them. There is a gin company local that will not buy any thing but a F250 with the 5.4, most of them have well over 400,000 miles on them. I know that did not answer your question but I thought that was something to share.

Mr. Moore

Observer
I think you are on the right track. The phaser problem with the 5.4 3v was engines wasn’t a phaser problem at all. That was just the symptom of the clogged tiny oil passages that lubricated them. Porting and polishing the oil journals and the high volume high pressure pump is a great starting point. You might as well port and polish the intake and exhaust ports in the heads while you are at it and have the valve train gone through to make sure nothing is worn out there. Check for possible upgraded chain guides for the timing chains too. For what it’s worth the 5.4s aren’t as bad as they were made out to be. A lot of the problem was neglect with the oil changes and using the wrong oil. I have a 2009 F150 5.4 screw and I have 171,000 miles on her. Granted 2009 is the second generation of the 5.4 but still...

danjr

I just picked up a 2004 f150 with 140k on the clock and the same issues. Looking into pricing, to redo the full timing/cam/oil pump system it looks to be around $1500 in parts. I'm going to go the route of a complete remanufactured engine with the upgrades already in place for around $3k from Fraser engines. To me, it was a no brainer based upon the cost your into the other one already to get a new motor and know everything is good with a warranty for the next 5 years/100k miles. Just something you may consider.

85_Ranger4x4

I think you are on the right track. The phaser problem with the 5.4 3v was engines wasn’t a phaser problem at all. That was just the symptom of the clogged tiny oil passages that lubricated them. Porting and polishing the oil journals and the high volume high pressure pump is a great starting point. You might as well port and polish the intake and exhaust ports in the heads while you are at it and have the valve train gone through to make sure nothing is worn out there. Check for possible upgraded chain guides for the timing chains too. For what it’s worth the 5.4s aren’t as bad as they were made out to be. A lot of the problem was neglect with the oil changes and using the wrong oil. I have a 2009 F150 5.4 screw and I have 171,000 miles on her. Granted 2009 is the second generation of the 5.4 but still...

I think they got better as they went.

If you change the plugs pack a lunch and make sure you get the updated one piece plugs to go back in. Expect some if not all the extended tips to break off in the cylinder head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior