Ford 150 3.5L Ecoboost vs Ram 1500 3.0 Ecodiesel?

B^2

Observer
Been looking at both the f-150 with the 3.5 ecoboost and the ram 1500 with the 3.0 ecodiesel and they seem pretty close in price (lariat vs laramie trim). Wondering what experience people have with both platforms. It looks like the ford has a bigger payload capacity but the ram has better gas mileage. Are there any features that are standard on one platform vs options you have to pay for on the other?

skrypj

Are you looking brand new, as in 2021's?

I don't know about the reliability of the current EcoDiesel(3rd Gen) but the last gen(2nd Gen) was not great. I personally would not wanna own a 2nd gen and would be hesitant to own the 3rd gen until we see how they hold up.

The Ecodiesel will get better MPG for sure but, depending on the price of gasoline vs diesel in your area, it may come out in the wash in terms of cost to fill your tank. BTW, the Ecoboost motors are perfectly happy running on 87 octane. They will pick up some power on 91 or 93. As far as I know, the 400 hp/500 tq power rating on the 3.5L is using 87 octane.

Power wise, hands down the 3.5 Ecoboost. It will run circles around the ecodiesel, especially the current 2021 with 400hp/500 ft-lbs of torque. It's not even a contest. For heavy towing the 3.5L will pull more comfortably and you will likely never need all the power it has.

Payload should be in favor of the 3.5L. The Fords are already a little better, and with the added weight of the diesel the Ram will be at a disadvantage if the two trucks are equally optioned.

Historically the rams have ridden better. I don't know if that has changed with the new F150, but I can tell you that I have rented 4-5 Ram 1500's of the last few years for work trips and they ride very well. Way better than my stock F150, and probably slightly better than my F150 with Bilstein 5100's.

The 3.5 Ecoboost has had issues with the cam phasers. I don't know if they have been updated with the release of the new 2021 F150. I had heard that somtime in 2019 or 2020 they had come out with an updated design so it may not be an issue anymore.

If you are not towing or using the truck for heavy work, I would be looking at the 2.7L Ecoboost all day. It gets better MPG's than the 3.5, but still performs extremely well and has so far been pretty dang reliable from what I can see on the forums. The 2.7 is a very solid motor and is really all that most people need.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
^ What skrypj said.

Until the industry can figure out how to control diesel emissions differently than what they are doing now, so the emission control systems are not so problematic, I would recommend staying away from them. This is why I'm still driving my 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually...rock solid dependable compared to any of the new diesels.

My light hauler - my 2016 F150 3.5 Ecoboost - has been flawless. I will have owned it 5 years next month and all I've done is change the oil and rotate the tires. If you've not driven one of these, or towed with that engine, the low-end torque it puts out is the closest thing to a diesel I've experienced yet in a gas engine. That includes the big-block Fords and GMs I've owned through the years.

B^2

Observer
My understanding is the 3.5ecoboost got added to the F-150 in 2011, is there a big difference between the early years and the more newer years? My thinking is I could probably pick up a used 3.5 ecoboost for a good price. As much as I'd love a new 2021, I'm thinking that would be cost prohibitive right now.

I'm near the SF bay area so gas prices are obscene right now.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Im in SF bay area. Two neighbors have the 2.7 F150’s one tows a small 16ft ski boat. The other one just hauls stuff in the bed. Both say 18mpg around town and 24-26mpg highway averages are typical. I have a 2019 Expedition with the 3.5. The mid to late 2019’s did get unannounced tweaks. Like mine when I went to do the first oul change I discovered I had a cast Aluminum oil pan. Earlier 2019 3.5’s have a black ABS plastic oil pan. Mine has not had the loud cam phasers yet...

I have the heavy tow pack so 3.73 rear end 16-18mpg local town stuff is typical. Road trips we typically see between 21-23mpg. F150 has a locking rear diff not sure about the dodge.

I like diesel, but my short trips in and around the city would muck up the diesel emissions system bad so no modern diesel for me.

The 3.5 is about as diesel like as you can get with stupid fast gas power. I rarely ever see over 3000rpm it make gobs of grunt between 1800-3000rpm just like a diesel.
The 2.7 is very similar but tuned to run a little hotter its super quick! A 2.7 F150 can just about out run the standard 3.5. Great little engine?.
The diesel 1500 dodge has a very small payload of which Ford simply crushes the dodge regarding the payload numbers.

So from a city life and mileage and wanting the full sized interior and pretty good load capability the 2.7 Ecoboost is for sure a top contender. If you have RV towing dreams the 3.5 Ecoboost is the best bet.
As for trailer towing between the two the Ecoboost has the 3L diesel beat on power and grunt. Mileage depends on the trailer aerodynamics the poorer they are the steeper the Ecoboost fuel average nose dives add high speeds and lousy parachute trailer and you can easily push into the 8-9mpg at 70-75mph. Tow a sleeker trailer and your mileage can be as good as mine with my 4x6 20-21mpg or say 12-14mpg with a more boxy trailer.
The Diesel will see less of a mileage nose dive due to lousy aerodynamics than the Ecoboosts.
But for daily life especially short trips the Ecoboosts are way superior especially regarding the emissions systems issues modern diesels hate lots of idling, low speed stuff and short trips they suffer major issues under that sort of use.

When guys say the Ecoboosts are quick. They aren’t kidding. The 2.7 will feel like a sports car compared to the dodge. The 3.5 can only be described as being a twofer. Gobs of lazy low RPM grunt for lazy cruising but you give it the beans and it will pull away from pretty much everything except sports cars and high powered sedans.

Last edited:

B^2

Observer
I'm inclined to go for the 3.5L over the 2.7L because the difference in mpg is minor but the payoff is nice. I think having the 36 gallon tank on the 3.5L is a must.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'm inclined to go for the 3.5L over the 2.7L because the difference in mpg is minor but the payoff is nice. I think having the 36 gallon tank on the 3.5L is a must.
395 trips the 36 gallon is very nice. One big negative on the Expedition is the fuel tank size. But I nearly doubled my range just going from a Sequoia to the Expedition ?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Like CaliCamper said, the 2.7 is a freaking rocket and in Sport mode it's even more fun. Does not act or feel like a truck. I had so much fun in my 2.7. and I did everything from commuting every day, towing a 21 foot ski boat, and hauling 1.5 yards of rocks. My last truck was a lease and I didn't like the fact I was getting a 2.7 over the other options at first but it really was nice and I came to love than engine. Plus, either engine will net you the 10 Speed trans which is fantastic (depending on year) I love my new 5.0 but only have the 6 speed and miss the 10 dearly.

For what you're describing, the 2.7 or the 3.5 will be perfect for you. The 2.7 should be easier to find as they made more of them and will be priced somewhat lower in the aftermarket.

I'm a biased ford guy but I have driven the Ram 1500 and didn't think much of it.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I have the 36 gallon tank in mine and it's a killer at the pump with the ridic CA gas prices, have to swipe my card twice. Usually is around $130. It is nice tho, I can do a full weekend trip to the desert and come home with 1/4 tank plus.

B^2

Observer
Like CaliCamper said, the 2.7 is a freaking rocket and in Sport mode it's even more fun. Does not act or feel like a truck. I had so much fun in my 2.7. and I did everything from commuting every day, towing a 21 foot ski boat, and hauling 1.5 yards of rocks. My last truck was a lease and I didn't like the fact I was getting a 2.7 over the other options at first but it really was nice and I came to love than engine. Plus, either engine will net you the 10 Speed trans which is fantastic (depending on year) I love my new 5.0 but only have the 6 speed and miss the 10 dearly.

For what you're describing, the 2.7 or the 3.5 will be perfect for you. The 2.7 should be easier to find as they made more of them and will be priced somewhat lower in the aftermarket.

I'm a biased ford guy but I have driven the Ram 1500 and didn't think much of it.

When did the 10-speed start coming equipped on the 3.5L Ecoboost f-150? How much of a price difference do you typically see between the 2.7 and he 3.5 on the used market?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
When did the 10-speed start coming equipped on the 3.5L Ecoboost f-150? How much of a price difference do you typically see between the 2.7 and he 3.5 on the used market?
With the 3.5 I believe the 10 speed was avail starting 2017. The other engines pre 18 did not have it. Almost standard on 18+ with a few exceptions.

As far as market value, hard to say given the current rise in prices. The majority of the Lariats and up has the 3.5 so they're more expensive in general. 99% of STX, which is what I have and a great little package will have the 2.7 as they were lease vehicles. When I was looking in July I noticed max of 5k difference but that's probably different now.

Go to a ford dealer and test drive both engines in their used lineup. Best way to get a feel for what you want/need other than us telling you here.

hour

Observer
I had a 3.0 Ecodiesel and it sucked. My first and hopefully only lemon experience and dealing with FCA was a nightmare but they finally bought it back. Other than the motor it was a pretty nice truck. Better equipped than my 2017 3.5L EB but that was my own doing, can't really compare a Laramie to an XLT.

But the 3.5L EB kind of sucks too if they can't figure out this cam phaser crap. Which they won't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles