Ford’s new 6.8L V8

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I still haven’t heard back from Granger. I’m guessing with the order banks just opening up, they’re flooded with orders.
That would be my guess. Super Duty orders have been through the roof..

You could also check out Jersey Shore Ford. Haven't heard as much feedback about them vs Granger though.

Nice! What did you get? I see an F150 in the avatar.
Yep!
F150 XLT 302A. Ordered a supercrew w/ 6.5 box, 3.5L, FX4, Max Tow, Tow mirrors, 360 cameras, OnBoard Scales and Smart hitch, 20's, tailgate step, fold flat underseat storage and adj pedals since wifey is about a foot shorter than I. I know, it's not expo'ish. I spec'd it more as a trailer tower as that's what we use it for. (The trailer is in my avatar too, lol) Had a deposit on a '22 Tundra TRD Off Road, but changed my mind.

level.jpg

I really wanted a PW or Super Duty tremor w/ a 7.3. But, I looked at my use case and all the extra capability of the Tremor and PW would be wasted on me. And with my daily commute being 70 miles, fuel mileage was a factor as well.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
@Todd n Natalie Nice truck! If I went with an F150, I’d spec it about the same. I currently have a short bed. I swore next truck, it’ll be at least 6.5’.

I have a really short commute (2 miles), and I sometimes ride my bicycle or scooter, so truck MPG isn’t a factor for me. The fact that F150 Supercrew with 6.5’ is the exact same size as an F250, I’m leaning F250. Pricing is about the same as well (MSRP. Sounds like from what you posted, incentives favor the F150).

I’ll reach out to Jersey Shore Ford as well. It’s too bad all the good dealers are back East!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
@Todd n Natalie Nice truck! If I went with an F150, I’d spec it about the same. I currently have a short bed. I swore next truck, it’ll be at least 6.5’.

I have a really short commute (2 miles), and I sometimes ride my bicycle or scooter, so truck MPG isn’t a factor for me. The fact that F150 Supercrew with 6.5’ is the exact same size as an F250, I’m leaning F250. Pricing is about the same as well (MSRP. Sounds like from what you posted, incentives favor the F150).

I’ll reach out to Jersey Shore Ford as well. It’s too bad all the good dealers are back East!
Thank you! Yes, we usually had the 5.5 bed in our last truck pretty loaded up. So when ordering this one decided the 20 lb loss of payload for the 6.5 bed was worth the extra bed space. Speaking of payload, I forgot to mention I also optioned the OnBoard Scale and SmartHitch. It makes keeping an eye on my payload a breeze! I love it! I do believe it's available on the Super Duty this year.

Yes, at the time I ordered there was a rebate for placing a factory order on a F150.

Ford nixed the Tremor pkg on the XLT F250. Lariat minimum. So it would've been 20K more for me to get a Tremor. A similar equipped F250 XLT still would've been another 10K more for me. Love the idea of it, but for a me a Tremor or PW is a want, not a need.

phsycle

Adventurer
Thank you! Yes, we usually had the 5.5 bed in our last truck pretty loaded up. So when ordering this one decided the 20 lb loss of payload for the 6.5 bed was worth the extra bed space. Speaking of payload, I forgot to mention I also optioned the OnBoard Scale and SmartHitch. It makes keeping an eye on my payload a breeze! I love it! I do believe it's available on the Super Duty this year.

Yes, at the time I ordered there was a rebate for placing a factory order on a F150.

Ford nixed the Tremor pkg on the XLT F250. Lariat minimum. So it would've been 20K more for me to get a Tremor. A similar equipped F250 XLT still would've been another 10K more for me. Love the idea of it, but for a me a Tremor or PW is a want, not a need.

Hm. That must be for certain regions, because I was able to build an XLT with Tremor.

1671730507446.png

Did you opt for the 2KW inverter? I’m debating whether to add that on or not.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Hm. That must be for certain regions, because I was able to build an XLT with Tremor.

View attachment 757679

Did you opt for the 2KW inverter? I’m debating whether to add that on or not.
Sorry, I should have specified Ford nixed the XLT Tremor for the '22 model year, back when I was ordering.

I did not opt for the inverter because I did not want to lose payload and we camp in powered sites.
However, I have read people that optioned it have enjoyed being able to boondock and power their trailers off grid.
I have also read that many owners were able to power their houses with these inverters during power outages.

On a Super Duty that already has more payload than an F150, I would def order it.

phsycle

Adventurer
Sorry, I should have specified Ford nixed the XLT Tremor for the '22 model year, back when I was ordering.

I did not opt for the inverter because I did not want to lose payload and we camp in powered sites.
However, I have read people that optioned it have enjoyed being able to boondock and power their trailers off grid.
I have also read that many owners were able to power their houses with these inverters during power outages.

On a Super Duty that already has more payload than an F150, I would def order it.

We’re typically out in the sticks so no improved campsites available most of the time. Sounds like it’s a worthwhile option.

The allure of the Powerwagon still hangs in the back of my head. But practicality and usability all point to the super duty.

Grasslakeron

Explorer
6.8L has a cast crank and is mated to the F150 (10R100) 10 speed. The 7.3 has a steel crank and is mated to the super duty (10r140) ten speed.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Point is they mated that 6.8 to a light duty trans with a much smaller output shaft to a heavy duty truck. I remember the days of the 300 inline in a one ton....just didn't think Ford would go that route again.

But if it sells then they made a good decision, not everyone works their truck hard enough to need the 7.3 with a 10R140.

Explorerinil

Observer
Point is they mated that 6.8 to a light duty trans with a much smaller output shaft to a heavy duty truck. I remember the days of the 300 inline in a one ton....just didn't think Ford would go that route again.
I also remember those, I think one of the 1 ton dump trucks with the inline 6 I was around as a child finally died. they did amazingly well for what they were.

tacollie

Glamper
@phsycle if you're actively shopping sometimes people post leads if new trucks on lot.

If you think you'll actually carry any weight I would skip the PW. I'm bias towards Ford for 3/4+ trucks though.

Explorerinil

Observer
We’re typically out in the sticks so no improved campsites available most of the time. Sounds like it’s a worthwhile option.

The allure of the Powerwagon still hangs in the back of my head. But practicality and usability all point to the super duty.
I owned a power wagon and traded it for a tremor. The power wagon was a great truck, and people often complain about the payload. I got to say, I towed and hauled with it and it did fine, I really think the reduced payload number is to cover their butt, the truck does sit up high and have a soft suspension. I could see some average person loading the bed down and taking a sharp turn at high speed and rolling the truck and blaming the manufacture. The power wagon really does tow and haul a moderate load and trailer very well. With that said, I got rid of mine, for a few reasons, and these were things that over time I simply could not live with. When ram updated their HD trucks in 19, they put the new generation interior of the 1500 in the HD trucks. Ram uses a larger cab on the 1500 and stuck with the old cab on the HD trucks, with this said the HD trucks lost allot of room vs the older gen, the back seat was simply very tight with a lack of leg room. This was the first thing I couldn’t stand, the second was the dial shifter, yeah it worked fine and I didn’t hit my knee on it like some people have said on forums, and I find that to be total bs, as I am 6’3. The dial shifter was just weird and annoying, I missed the column shifter. The 3rd thing I couldn’t stand was the 6.4 hemi, I hated the MDS and 4 cylinder mode and the hard to find 0w40 oil it took. Plus I feel that engine design has a serious flaw with the valve train tick and issues they develop over time. I just see that engine as disposable, but it does make decent power. Other than those issues the power wagon was great, the lockers were slow to engage and sometimes wouldn’t, ram really needs to fix that, the locker in my f250 engages evertime and is instant.

Now for the tremor, I love the cab room, flat rear floor with a ton of room. I love the collumm shifter and simple, overbuilt 7.3. The only negative on the truck I have found was the factory halogen lights, i absolutely hate them and have changed them out. This is the first truck that I truly love everything about it (accept for the halogens).

TexasSixSeven

Observer
That would be my guess. Super Duty orders have been through the roof..

You could also check out Jersey Shore Ford. Haven't heard as much feedback about them vs Granger though.

Yep!
F150 XLT 302A. Ordered a supercrew w/ 6.5 box, 3.5L, FX4, Max Tow, Tow mirrors, 360 cameras, OnBoard Scales and Smart hitch, 20's, tailgate step, fold flat underseat storage and adj pedals since wifey is about a foot shorter than I. I know, it's not expo'ish. I spec'd it more as a trailer tower as that's what we use it for. (The trailer is in my avatar too, lol) Had a deposit on a '22 Tundra TRD Off Road, but changed my mind.

View attachment 757659

I really wanted a PW or Super Duty tremor w/ a 7.3. But, I looked at my use case and all the extra capability of the Tremor and PW would be wasted on me. And with my daily commute being 70 miles, fuel mileage was a factor as well.

that’s a dang good looking 150!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94