For those that carry Guns and Overlanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I have always hated that argument (and similar ones with first aid kits, Recovery gear, etc). It’s a false equivalency...when you do a risk assessment for your trip, you have to consider the likelihood of a event taking place.

In other words, there is a much larger chance of needing a fire extinguisher (first aid kit, etc) than a firearm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s like just your opinion man
-the dude

No one’s ever called me crazy or cussed me out when I pulled out my first aid kit to start stoping their bleeding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The Wizard

Observer

I have made my decision on my personal experience (I realize that it is anecdotal evidence and results may vary). Over the past fifty years of what use to be called 4-wheeling (now called I guess it is called overlanding) I have had three occasions were the presents of a firearm prevented the situation from getting worst. Two of those times the mere presents of my firearm caused everyone to reconsider and go their separate ways. The third time, well I will just say it did not end well for the bad guy but his intended victim (not me) did make a full recovery. You may say only three encounters in fifty years does not call for always carrying a firearm. The thing is if I had not had a firearm the first time I would not have been around the last forty some years.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Statistically, most people go nowhere. Back and forth to work, then starbucks once or twice.

Try going to 3 completely new spots a day for few years. Ask field technicians. I'll bet that they have far greater numbers of occurrences.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Apologies for misinterpreting that as letting people approaching your campsite not from the road know that you are armed and dangerous.

I think that’s a pretty serious misuse of the term “armed and dangerous”. That term has historically been used solely to describe a person acting outside the law, who has demonstrated a willingness to wantonly or even randomly harm or kill others.

An armed citizen is only dangerous to those who would cause him harm and is generally considered by himself and those he cares for as a protector.

mezmochill

Is outside
I think that’s a pretty serious misuse of the term “armed and dangerous”. That term has historically been used solely to describe a person acting outside the law, who has demonstrated a willingness to wantonly or even randomly harm or kill others.

An armed citizen is only dangerous to those who would cause him harm and is generally considered by himself and those he cares for as a protector.

Accidents, misjudgements and misunderstandings happen all the time.

Those accidents are dangerous events to those within range of that bullet.

******** happens sometimes. When a gun is involved, those in the wrong spot pay the price.

MOguy

Explorer

**** happens sometimes. When a gun is involved, those in the wrong spot pay the price.
I've been shooting since I was 6 years old. I spent 12 years in the Army and have spent months carrying a weapon 24/7 and there were others around me do it the same. I'm now 52 and I still shoot, so do my children. We hunt and target shoot. In all this time I have never seen an accident involving a gun. I have been in a few car accidents.

Cars are dangerous we should ban them. I've seen drunk people get hurt and hurt others, we need to ban alcohol, now. I have even see people trip over shoelaces we should do away with all shoes that have shoe laces. I have also seen people walk in the doors that are supposed to pull out, it's kind of funny but it could be dangerous and people could get hurt. all door should swing both ways.

Last edited:

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Then don't carry one. We will continue. I carry everywhere I Iegally can and occasionally places...….

Lol.....I pointed out a blog post I found interesting....I didn’t offer any further comment or opinion. Feeling targeted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

**** happens sometimes. When a gun is involved, those in the wrong spot pay the price.

I mean accidents happen far more often with a car and far more people die from vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94