For those of you with the 416 style trailer how longer over stock did you extend it

Jevy

Adventurer
Hey everyone,

I think I've pretty much decided to extend my tongue. Still on the fence regarding whether to keep/extend lunette or convert to a receiver type hitch. Regardless I'ld be curious how much longer did everyone extend their tongues? I'm going to be using it primarily with a RTT on top and some kayaks. I was thinking about maybe extending it length of the tongue say 30-36" to make it easier to when backing up plus would give me more overhang for my kayaks. Please keep in mind that I likely will not be doing any serious off roading with the trailer so rock crawling is out. It will probably see some fire roads and trails for remote camping/fishing/kayaking. Any opinions will be appreciated.

JPNCA

Adventurer
149.jpg

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Out of curiosity how are you going to mount a rtt and kayaks both? Also I extended mine when making it a pintle hitch though I don't remember the length sorry. I could measure tomorrow and let you know. When I had my kayaks on which aren't that long they are ocean frenzies they had just the right overhang. Even though you won't be rock crawling I would leave a decent space between the yaks and the truck for any obstacles you encounter or differences in terrain height getting to a river side etc

Jevy

Adventurer
TXH I finally get to contribute YAYAY!!!!

When I had questions about how to do something I started a new thread regarding my certain topic and I put up one on how people were mounting their RTT on their 416's. On that thread I was advised to have it mounted on a rack system. So I bought the longest set of of base rails to mount to the top. I went with three poles(as recommended in that thread) and ordered the longest I could without having to pay for any up charge. I think they were 78" long. I thought I may end up trimming them but once I got it on there I think I'm going to leave them be like they are. I have enough room to put a kayak on each side of the tent. The only downside is the kayaks and their respective mounts would have to be removed to deploy the tent but in reality we're only talking about literally 5 minutes to take them and the hardware off the rack.

Also be forewarned that tent is heavy. Mine was listed as 130lbs and that's probably about right. I don't blame it but the next morning after putting the tent on the trailer I ruptured two discs in my back that required emergency surgery. Be prepared to need some help to put it on the rack. I don't blame it on the tent but I really feel that was when I busted it but it didn't actually rupture until the next morning.

8e5fab9c3864a636e9569bc3d114e88e.jpg

28d17f25b45a8c97a244f5aa7bad2b30.jpg

here's a link to my build thread on the trailer

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/84244-Jevy-s-humble-M-416-build-thread

Jevy

Adventurer
sorry but those are my best pics for now. My father had to come over while I was in the hospital to get it up in the garage. I'm going to try to get my wife/kids to mount my cover back on it, get the tent properly stowed and I'll try to get a few more pics.

Vince1

Adventurer
For my extension, I wanted to make sure I could open the tailgate of my Jeep JKU with the trailer attached. This left room for a tongue box which was a great benefit. So I guess the extension length was simply practical, but it ended up handling better as well.

ThirstyCamel

Curious about this too. I haven't extended my tongue yet but right now my plans are to build and adjustable tongue that will extend from 18 to 30 inches. I wheel some pretty tight trails so being able to shorten the extension to 18 inches from stock lunette mounting surface should help on those tight trails.

Jevy

Adventurer
I know it's been a while since I have posted on this topic but I think I have a plan. I'm going to cut the stock lunette in half and use some 2x2x1/4 tubing and am going to cut it to the length of the shaft of the lunette plus 36". I will then take the lunette and insert it quite a way up into the tubing. After that I will drill some 3/8" holes all the way through the tubing/shaft and put in some grade 8 hardware. Then I will weld on the ends of the tubing. To me that's about as sturdy of a tongue I can figure out without totally changing the front.

With any luck I will be able to do this mod in a few weeks. I'm still recovering from back surgery but I am letting my son do some supervised work.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Sounds like you either read my post or read my mind? Or we are equally (incredibly) intelligent!!

05efa4c1.jpg

c105fad1.jpg

f438e4ce.jpg

20121008_175624_zps61a027fb.jpg

I hate the chains setup, but love how it tows. Haven't backed it up much since the swap, but with the added length it will easily clear my swing out tire carrier, I can now jackknife the trailer if I need to and it will back up far better. Going to be putting on a 3 axis coupler soon too.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I had the tongue on my trailer extended 18" and the lunette as well. I mismeasured so I can't always open my tire carrier depending how I am angled. I like the fact I can have a tongue box and battery on the tongue and I can seethe trailer better in the mirror.

Jevy

Adventurer
Greg,

I've been looking and I saw your thread a LONG time ago but honestly I've just been thinking about what I had here and how I could do it but still be strong/safe.

Sounds like you either read my post or read my mind? Or we are equally (incredibly) intelligent!!

I hate the chains setup, but love how it tows. Haven't backed it up much since the swap, but with the added length it will easily clear my swing out tire carrier, I can now jackknife the trailer if I need to and it will back up far better. Going to be putting on a 3 axis coupler soon too.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Hey Jevy,
I read this post, but didn't read the posters name....oops. It has worked out really well, and it way quieter. The only issue, there was a little bit of wobble between the receiver extension and the draw-bar. If you skip the extension and simply put the draw-bar tube over the lunette stub, you are GTG. I wanted the option of swapping draw-bars and using a standard coupler for on road and a 3 axis off. I solved the slop issue with a clamp I grabbed off Amazon...$11.00 each I think? Silent now.

Trailer is looking good man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94