For those of you that have hauled a trailer with an LR4...

Bullsnake

Adventurer
Good afternoon all!

I am in the process of loading up our new Adventure Trailer flatbed with toys to take out to the mountains, and after getting everything on the trailer and all hooked up I took it out for a quick test run to see how it pulls and do a shakedown on the loading of the trailer. In true AT Trailer form it pulls straight as a string and you don't even notice it's back there! The question I have is this - I have the LR factory towing harness hooked up and the dealer did all of the fancy diagnostics test book stuff to make the truck see the trailer and all of the goodies work the way they should. The lights, turn signals, etc. all work just as they should, but when you stop the vehicle and get out, and then get back in the vehicle, start it and go it seems like the parking brake is set? there is some resistance as you first pull away, but once you are rolling it is totally fine with absolutely no issues.

I haven't dug through any of the forums to see if this is normal or not, or if anyone has even heard of this (no time really as we leave in the AM early and although I am confident that this is a non issue I thought I would ask just to be sure:sombrero:) If anyone can shed some light on this that would be great, otherwise I will assume that all is good and run for the Colorado border as soon as the sun comes up with the kids!

Related note - the AT trailer is a seven pin hook up, and I was wondering with the factory towing wiring hooked up is there any where for modulation of the trailer brakes? The truck is a fully loaded HSE with all of the bells and whistles. Wasn't sure if I had to cobb in an aftermarket brake modulator in the future or not...

Thanks for any advice!
Dave

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
While not sure on the LR4, but the LR3 uses a Ford plug under the dash for the brake controller. This is a less expensive way to go, and also allows you choice of brake controller as AB's kit includes a controller.

Enjoy the truck, and the trip!!

LR Max

Local Oaf
$100 isn't that expensive for a brake controller. I did get one for a Yukon for $75 out the door, plug and play on everything.

But yes, if you've got 3k worth of trailer back there and will be towing often, a brake controller brings all kinds of win.

Last edited:

Bullsnake

Adventurer
Made it to Colorado! The entire rig was FANTASTIC! Spending the night in Denver with some friends, and then into the mountains tomorrow to play. A little sketched about the mountains and no brake controller (will DEFINITELY fit before next trip!) but all I have on the trailer is my GS motorcycle and some bicycles so I hope I am okay.

LOVE the LR4 / AT trailer combo!

LR Max

Local Oaf
You know just about any auto parts store will have a brake controller for you, right? Also shops that specialize in trailers have them stacked up.

Take the "sketch" out of your trip today by taking 30 minutes and buying a brake controller. It'll cost you about the same as a tank of gas.

Bullsnake

Adventurer
LRMax-

Have about three of them sitting somewhere in my shop - just need to take the time to hook it up when I get back. Wasn't sure if the "plug and play" was anything special on the LR4, but when I get back I will make work of it. Made it to Breck with ZERO issues, and the trailer is unloaded and parked for the week. If I was running anything heavier on it than a dual sport bike and a few bicycles I would head up town here in Breck or down in Frisco to Wally World and grab one, but with as good as the trip went I think it'll be a non issue. I even had a panic stop situation on the way in yesterday where a truck slammed on it's brakes to avoid a guy making a sudden turn and she slowed down just like I threw an anchor out the window and stayed right behind me!

Once again, I cannot say enough good about the AT trailer - didn't even know it was back there and the suspension on it is ROCK solid.

I can also vouch that the LR4 is indeed a FANTASTIC tow vehicle, and now that it's unhooked I'm looking forward to using it for what it was intended.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
That was my inference above- not that AB was expensive or anything. But, with a Ford plug/play connector, you have your choice of controller...

Glad the rig did well for you!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior