For Sale: Tiregate Adventure Series Hitchgate (Monterey, CA) - $700

SBSYNCRO

Complete Tiregate "Adventure Series" spare carrier with Dual jerry can mount and license plate relocation kit - $700.

I spent over $1,400 on this setup, used it once for a trip to Baja. It mounts to a Class IV receiver hitch and then tightens in VERY securely so that it does not rattle AT ALL. I did a two week 2,000 mile Baja trip with it and never had to readjust it or mess with it AT ALL. It is very well made and well engineered.

After that single trip to Baja, I decided that the spare fit well enough in the stock location of the Tundra and carrying a second spare was unnecessary

If you are looking for a flexible way to carry an oversized spare tire AND jerry cans AND a high-lift jack without taking up precious bed space or resorting to a custom fabricated bumper, this is the way to do it. If I still had a truck with an over-sized spare I'd keep it (so much better than carrying the spare on the roof or in the bed!)

Does NOT include the jerry cans, btw.

I keep it stored in the garage of a property I have in Monterey County, CA and i'm up there about once a month (and will be up there for the Christmas holiday).
I have not used the unit in 5 years, and it has been sitting safe and dry. I have all the straps and buckles for securing the tire and jerry cans, though the hardware has become oxidized (but still functions perfectly well). I also have a bag of all the spare hardware it came with, still in the original packaging.

I will be driving back to So Cal after the holidays, and can potentially deliver to anyone along the 101/405 corridor between Salinas, CA and San Diego, CA. Also will consider trades for hunting, fishing, or Jeep stuff.

Reactions: WVI

gx460sd

Sent ya a PM

Edit: I backed out, up for grabs. Good unit but not what I'm looking for at the moment! Glws

Last edited:

SBSYNCRO

Thanks! This is a great solution for someone that wants a temporary (or permanent) solution to carrying an oversized spare and gear on a vehicle that is not well supported by aftermarket bumper options.

It will literally work on ANY vehicle with a full sized receiver hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drinkdrankdrunk

This is the first one I've ever seen that's set up almost exactly like mine. It's honestly the best Hitchgate that Wilco ever made, I don't know why they ever stopped producing it. Unfortunately there's very little information out there about these so I may kind of highjack this thread for a second, but I figured this info may also help you sell it. Mine has the exact same options but without the high lift jack mount. I've only seen 1 or 2 others for sale but generally they only have the single jerry can holder, no license plate bracket, and usually the tire mount was centered. I definitely prefer the driver's side offset. There was only one option higher than the one you're selling and it had a cooler type platform that sat above the tire. I think Wilco made very few of these and stopped producing them somewhere around 2015, it predates the "Hitchgate" line entirely.

The straps for the tire and jerry cans are very well designed, and you can reposition the plates the cans sit on a bit more to either side. At first I was worried about having 50-60 extra lbs of fuel/water hanging on those plates, but they don't move at all. Also people generally don't tailgate you when you have a big red jerry can sticking off the back of your vehicle. The hinge is super strong, and even with a 32" tire, and 2 jerry cans filled with water/gas, there's no sag when you go to shut the swingarm. The thing is BEEFY though, I'd guess it weighs somewhere between 125-150lbs empty, but it's unbelievably solid. It has a secondary hitch that's rated to tow 7,500lbs with 750lbs of tongue weight, so it's perfectly capable of being used for recovery with a D ring shackle.

If you go way back on the WIlco website archives with the waybackmachine, you can find a little more info on them, but it's scattered all around. According to Wilco, the largest tire it can fit is a 37'. I don't know if the limiting factor was the tire cradle size or the length of the straps, either one could probably be easily remedied. I just have my license plate ziptied on, and haven't wired in a license plate light yet, something I need to do.

I don't mean for this to turn into a huge discussion about these and completely highjack this thread, but if there's enough interest I'll make a separate thread about them.

Also, I don't work for Wilco so some of this info may not be the most accurate, and I don't know OP at all so I'm not trying to promote this post or anything. I think Wilco used to post on these forums, but I don't know their username or whether they're still active or not, but if you guys see this I'd love some more info on these old models, especially if you guys have any old parts/accessories lying around from these, definitely get in touch with me. Or a job.

Here are some photos of mine. And again OP, if this isn't welcome just let me know and I'll delete it and move it to a new thread.

Attachments

• IMG_2474.jpg
    IMG_2474.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 229
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 1.54.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 1.54.33 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 230
  • 825B7D0C-1CD6-44A4-BBAB-1565F8F36F2B.jpg
    825B7D0C-1CD6-44A4-BBAB-1565F8F36F2B.jpg
    757.9 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

SBSYNCRO

PMs replied to, and @drinkdrankdrunk thank you for posting additional information - it is most welcome. These are a bit of a rarity (I think probably because they were so expensive!) But when I saw it I knew it would be perfect for my previous application (Daily Driver Tundra that made a few trips to Baja each year). In DD mode, I didn't use the TireGate, but when I needed the second spare and jerry cans, I could attach it to the truck in about 10 minutes and be ready to rock. I sold the truck a couple years back and the next several vehicles I've owned have very good aftermarket support for off-the-shelf bumpers and tire carriers (F-150 and Jeep JK).

drinkdrankdrunk

PMs replied to, and @drinkdrankdrunk thank you for posting additional information - it is most welcome. These are a bit of a rarity (I think probably because they were so expensive!) But when I saw it I knew it would be perfect for my previous application (Daily Driver Tundra that made a few trips to Baja each year). In DD mode, I didn't use the TireGate, but when I needed the second spare and jerry cans, I could attach it to the truck in about 10 minutes and be ready to rock. I sold the truck a couple years back and the next several vehicles I've owned have very good aftermarket support for off-the-shelf bumpers and tire carriers (F-150 and Jeep JK).

I couldn't get a clear enough view zooming in on the badge plating, but I'm curious when yours was manufactured, mine is dated 10-14. And yea these things are very rare, especially one as kitted out as yours.

Also after going through the archives I was a bit off on a couple things; largest tire Wilco says will fit is a 37", and tongue weight is limited at 750lbs not 500lbs. I'll edit my previous post to correct these.

SBSYNCRO

Some additional information that I dug up in some old emails..

"The Adventure Hitchgate is one of two new Hitch Mounted Tire Carriers. This new carrier is like our very popular Universal Hitchgate and even utilizes some of the same components, such as, the Truck Mount Assembly; that slides into your vehicles 2” receiver. Where the Adventure differs is how and where we mount the spare tire. This carrier rests in basket like frame structure that, regardless of wheel offset or tire size (up to 37.5×13.5 Tire), keeps the spare very close to the rear of the vehicle. With this change we now have a tire strap and net exclusive to the TireGate to restrain the spare. The tire strap is easy to use and allows for secure but rapid tire removal along with the safety cable along with our quick link union. You can add a lock to the safety cable for an added anti-theft device."

So apparently a 37 x 13.5 tire is the largest that will fit.

drinkdrankdrunk

Some additional information that I dug up in some old emails..

"The Adventure Hitchgate is one of two new Hitch Mounted Tire Carriers. This new carrier is like our very popular Universal Hitchgate and even utilizes some of the same components, such as, the Truck Mount Assembly; that slides into your vehicles 2” receiver. Where the Adventure differs is how and where we mount the spare tire. This carrier rests in basket like frame structure that, regardless of wheel offset or tire size (up to 37.5×13.5 Tire), keeps the spare very close to the rear of the vehicle. With this change we now have a tire strap and net exclusive to the TireGate to restrain the spare. The tire strap is easy to use and allows for secure but rapid tire removal along with the safety cable along with our quick link union. You can add a lock to the safety cable for an added anti-theft device."

So apparently a 37 x 13.5 tire is the largest that will fit.

Does your's have a build date on the metal badge on the swing arm?

piecemeal

That's pretty nifty! Does it wobble at all in the receiver? I had a swing out that was a salt spreader that could have easily been converted to something like this, but it was wobbly....

SBSYNCRO

That's pretty nifty! Does it wobble at all in the receiver? I had a swing out that was a salt spreader that could have easily been converted to something like this, but it was wobbly....

Not at all; It’s rock-solid. It uses a patented wedge design that locks the unit into the receiver. I took it on a 12-day Baja trip where 30-40% of the roads were rough washboard and the thing never required adjustment and never became loose. (Unlike my craptastic Icon coilovers, but that’s a whole other story...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles