SOLD: 2019 EarthCruiser FX

High Water

Baja Bliss
Is there a way we can talk to you?
Absolutely, I'll send you a private message with my phone number. EDIT: There seems to something wrong with my ExPo account and I cannot send PMs. Please send me a PM or "Conversation" with your phone number and I will call you.

Last edited:

RoRu

D
Absolutely, I'll send you a private message with my phone number. EDIT: There seems to something wrong with my ExPo account and I cannot send PMs. Please send me a PM or "Conversation" with your phone number and I will call you.

High Water

Baja Bliss
For some reason I can’t get it to work
It's is really strange. I can post public messages (like this one) but not private. I can't even get to some parts of my profile. If you are in Instagram you can send me a message through that platform. @floodexploration

RoRu

It's is really strange. I can post public messages (like this one) but not private. I can't even get to some parts of my profile. If you are in Instagram you can send me a message through that platform. @floodexploration
A little frustrating- I’m not hip and don’t have an Instagram acct

High Water

Baja Bliss
Several prospective buyers have asked me various questions regarding the tires on this truck, their condition and my experience with them. Since this is such a common set of questions, I’ll make it an FAQ and my answers public and detailed. The tires are the original Toyo Open Country MT (Mud Terrain), LT315/75R16, Load Range E, Max weight 1750kg (3860lbs) at 65psi. The tires have been rotated three times since new. The spare has not been rotated in, so it is new.

What is the tread depth and condition?
Using an inexpensive mechanical tire tread depth gage, I measured each tire in 6 locations and averaged each tire. Then I averaged all four averages and kept track of the range. I measured using metric and then converted visually using the gage and rounded to the nearest 32nd. Therefore, the SAE conversions are not mathematical otherwise they would be in strange fractions. The tire tread depth averaged 8.25mm (11/32”) on all four tires. The range was 7.5mm (10/32”) up to 9mm (12/32”). The Toyo specifications state that the new tread is 21/32” but my spare tire measured 14mm (18/32”) so I used my gage measurement for consistency. Therefore, the tires have an average of 59% tread remaining at 18,500 miles of use. Obviously, an owner would not use a tire until it is bald so that percentage is higher that reality. I looked for the minimum tread depth specification from Toyo this morning but couldn’t find it and there are no minimum tread bars on these tires. Perhaps if any of you can find this specification, tell me and I’ll edit the % of wear in this answer. Some Toyo users have told me the Toyo tire's second half of life is longer due to the tread compound becoming harder. Some Toyo owners have claimed 40,000 miles out of tires with diligent tire rotation and pressure monitoring. I cannot verify but based on my observation so far, both are correct.

Is there any “chunking” of the rubber?

Yes some. Any tire driven in off-road conditions, especially rocks, has some amount of chunking. Some tires are far more susceptible than others based on their compound. I am very impressed with these Toyo tires resistance to chunking. Most of the minor chunking came from two days ascending out of the Copper Canyon in MX.

Why Toyo tires and what has been my experience?

Prior to this truck I have never used the Toyo brand. I typically used BFG or Hankook on Jeeps and other trucks and have been happy with them both and their characteristics on various surfaces. The Hankook were generally a better economic value because they lasted slightly longer than the BFG But if the BFG were on a good sale then the value was reversed. Since we ordered this truck new, the only tire option we were offered by EarthCruiser was Toyo Open Country MT or AT. In speaking with other Fuso owners, I found out the tire carcasses and the life span was the same so we chose the MT. The obvious difference is the tread and the MT will perform better in mud and possibly sand.

Do the tires create excessive road noise?

I don’t hear any noise that I could say was created by the tires. This is a cabover configuration with a sound isolated cab and the occupants sit above and forward of most noises. We also drive with the windows up 100% of the time to keep the cab clean so I may not be the best evaluator of any road noise.

Would I buy Toyo Open Country MT as replacements?

Yes! I would consider a different brand if it had a weight rating that exceeded the Toyo in this tire size.

What tire pressures do you operate at?

I am reluctant to bring this up because the subject tends to bring up debate in the 4x4 community. We keep the rear tires at max, 65 psi COLD, regardless of terrain because our rear axle weight is close to the max weight rating of the tires when we are completely full of water and fuel. Before we were full time in the truck and had a lower rear axle weight, we did lower the pressure. Of course, if we were to make a long drive in soft sand, we could reduce the rear tire pressure, but that situation has never presented itself. The front axle weight is well below the max weight rating of the tires, so I set the front at 60psi for interstate driving, 55psi for backroads (paved and gravel), and 50 psi for longer stretches of rocky, true 4x4 roads but at slower speeds. The secondary advantage is a a more plush ride up front. These pressures are all within the Toyo tire pressure, speed and weight charts.

Let me know if this information was helpful or not helpful.

Obligatory photo of a tire :—) A tire photo.JPG

SimonBelgium

Hi, when do you expect to be in the Southwest, and which route are you taking (roughly)? Just to see if we can meet you somewhere along the way :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles