SOLD: 1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 Tdi 5 Speed Manual

mdcoa

SOLD.

Pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmx1LaZe

$7971 for everything and $7491 if I keep the spare transmission and winch

Truck in Southern Pines NC

For Sale, 1995 Land Rover Discovery Tdi, ~153k miles on chassis and counting (I drive it ~one day a week). Drivetrain has ~31k on it since rebuild/install of Engine, transmission, and transfer case. Truck was a TX truck until 2013--since then it's lived in PA (one spring--didn't drive it on salty roads), NoVA (didn't drive it on salty roads), and NC. It's not completely rust-free, but it is very, very rust-free compared to many discos of this vintage. Frame is about 99/100 or even better. Only rust I have found at all is on the floors where water leaks collected under the carpet--this was surface rust that I polished off and primed. And in the L/F wheel well area where I suspect brake fluid has gotten spilled and removed the paint. Truck runs perfectly and gets 20mpg pretty much no matter how you drive it--around town, highway trips at 75mph, etc. A/C works. Engine is a marvel--I cannot tell you how fun it is to chuff around Uwharrie at 1200 rpms and just go up everything. Only selling because the family has expanded to a point at which this truck is just too small to accommodate our Clampett-family camping style. And the A/C is frankly a bit anaemic for NC summers--not great for chucking kids in the backseat in a 10000-degree parking lot and having it cool them off rapidly.

Features:
-300Tdi engine, rebuilt just before install in 2014, at which point the truck had 122,645 miles on the odometer
-R380 5 speed manual Transmission, also rebuilt same time
-LT230 Transfer case, 1:1.2 ratio (factory ratio for 300 Tdi Discoveries) rebuilt by Ashcroft, installed at 123k miles, after I realized that the 1:1.4 transfer case originally installed (Defender t-case ratio for 300 Tdi's) was geared lower than we like.
-Yes, registered as a diesel in NC (NC titles don't show fuel type)
-Proper fuel sedimentation/filtration system?sedimenter from Rob Davis and Fuel Manager 2 micron final fuel filter in stock location. Fuel flow is tank-sedimenter-lift pump-final filter-distributor pump.
-ABS delete
-Genuine "Saudi grille" (made of nearly pure unobtanium)
-Madman EMS2 Engine Monitoring System installed?monitors Exhaust Gas Temperature, coolant level, oil pressure, transfer case oil temperature, voltage, and coolant temperature.
-D110 front calipers (larger pads and pistons than stock disco front brakes) and new Ferodo brake pads installed April 2016 (127k miles)
-Cooper STT Pro 215/85R16 tires installed December 2016, 133k miles
-Overtym Rock sliders installed fall of 2016
-Great Basin Rover double/single cardan front prop shaft, just rebuilt (150640 miles--April 2018)
-Great Basin Rover heavy duty tie rod
-Overtym HD front drag link
-OME HD springs, shocks, and steering damper
-Tactical Armor custom front and rear bumpers with recovery points, winch mount, and side protection handle thingmos on the rear bumper
-Warn XD9500i winch
-Safety Devices high roof rack--one repair at the front which I forgot to photograph, but will do shortly. Piece of tubing welded in to replace a section the rack PO had let rust through.
-Paddocks wrap-around differential guards front and rear

Fixed in the last few years:
Serpentine belt tensioner bearing replaced March 2015
New (used) rotary coupling installed in steering wheel April 2015
Replaced coolant expansion tank bleed valve and hose assembly June 2015
Replaced rear door lock springs August 2015
Replaced "P" gasket and water pump (genuine) in Sep 2015 at 124624 miles.
Replaced rear left and rear right door lock actuators December 2015
New rear brake pads Feb 2016 (126k miles)
New aftermarket fuel lift pump installed April 2016
A/C Compressor clutch idler bearing replaced October 2016
New seat foam and diaphragm for driver's seat from Exmoor Trim installed October 2016
New ZF Power steering pump and all hoses Jan 2017
New Nissen brand radiator installed July 2017
New tie rod ends July 2017
New Elring head gasket, vave cover gasket, head bolts, and new #2 glow plug installed at 139225 miles?Aug 2017
Injection pump timing set August 2017
New speedometer sender October 2017
New windshield (Safelite) and rubber trim, 30 October 2017
New rear suspension top link ball joint installed Feb 2018
New turbo CHRA cartridge installed Feb 2018, 148k miles
New exhaust manifold gasket Feb 2018
New oil pan seal (elring STC 611) and oil filter housing (a.k.a. oil filter head) gasket and oil cooler thermostat o-ring installed December 2018.
Latest oil change--new Rotella-T and Wix filter 152k miles.

Spares:
Ashcroft R380 transission (defender setup) with 30k miles on it
Original turbo CHRA with rebuild kit

Treated frame inside and out with Fluid Film in early and late 2015.

What's not right:
Paint is not great at all--probably a candidate for plasti-dip, new paint job, or monstaliner. Or just drive it.
Very slight leaks in the rain. You'd think the British would design weatherproof vehicles. Nope. I've mitigated a good bit, but a very small amount of water still finds its way in little drips in the passenger side A pillar.
Headliner is saggy-baggy. Bagginess varies with humidity, which can make it double as a hygrometer, and possibly make it a feature--if I were keeping it, I'd pull the headliner and give it the bed-liner business.
All sunroofs disabled--front one sealed with silicone. No leaks from the sunroofs!
If I were keeping it, I'd chip out the caulk and re-caulk the gutters with something modern. And maybe tear out all the carpet and use bedliner on the floors.

Wouldn't hesitate to drive this truck anywhere. Fly and drives welcome--we can pick you up in Raleigh and put you up for the night and send you off with a truck loaded with spares.

Last edited:

alexplb

what are you able to get MPG wise, I'm assuming this gen is not lockable its just good old land rover abs kind of tracking in 4 low? Not too familiar with this gen trucks. do you have all papers for the rebuilds that were done?

J!m

Same basic driveline as the Range Rover and Defender of the same vintage.

300Tdi R380 LT230 is really a fantastic set up. Exactly what’s in my Defender. The only difference is I have a Sailsbury (Dana 60) rear axle.

This is a nice truck.

mdcoa

Sooo apparently I don't have email alerts set up for expeditionportal . . . Sorry for being the absentee OP.

@alexplb, this gets pretty much 20mpg all day long, no matter how I drive. Low and slow 60-ish on two lane roads, I think I do a bit better, but not dramatically.

Yes, I've got paperwork for the drivetrain (I can dig into email archives and files and send you what I've got if you'd like), but I bought it all freshly rebuilt, so no actual receipt saying "rebuild."

No traction control on this--these are full-time FWD (i.e. an open differential at the transfer case) with a locking (versus limited slip, like many of the Range Rovers of this era) center diff (transfer case) and open diffs on both axles. It goes pretty much anywhere, except of course super-bad cross-axle situations, at which point I find myself wishing I had either a rear locker, traction control, or the good sense not to try to go up things with really bad off-camber ruts (cough, cough--Dutch John at Uwharrie last season).

Sorry again for not being on top of this--modifying my alerts to avoid embarrassing recurrences. . .

mdcoa

Southern Pines NC—sorry, guess I assumed that was in my profile...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roverlandman

It may be in your profile, I haven't been on here in quite a while. I have sent you a text. and look forward to talking later. Thanks

mdcoa

I don't think it is in there (I looked at yours and don't see where you're located), so shame on me for not specifying. . . look forward to talking to you.

mdcoa

Bump for a price drop- $7971 for everything and $7491 if I keep the spare transmission and winch . . .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles