For Sale: 1978 Toyota HJ45 Pickup RHD

Rock Island

****THIS TRUCK HAS BEEN SOLD 9/11/18****

For sale is my 1978 Toyota HJ45 Land Cruiser Pickup

Be warned, this is a non-running project vehicle with unknown mileage and no title. Full stop.

Ok, with that out of the way, let's get on with the good stuff.

I've owned this truck since 2012. I bought it as a non-running project, but life got in the way and I've done very little with it since then, blah, blah, blah. When I bought it the head was off the engine. I have two H engines, both with the heads off. One head has been rebuilt with new valves, springs, seals, etc. I have had the injectors rebuilt, but they have not been installed. I am fully aware how undesirable a partially disassembled truck is, but that's the way I bought it and it is what it is. This is a great project for a serious Toyota enthusiast looking for a truck that's pretty rare in North America.

This truck has an interesting past. It's a right hand drive model that was delivered to the African market and has a distinctive bed/box than was specific to that market. It has a custom steel camper shell with bunks, storage, and a propane range. The truck does not have original tailgate because of the camper shell. Lots of period correct upgrades and NOS spare parts (air filters, gaskets, etc.). Have several original Toyota manuals.

Details:
H diesel engine (have two engines, one is in the truck one is in Fairbanks, AK)
Right hand drive
Odo only has 5 digits so it's probably rolled over once or twice
Bull bar
Warn winch
ARB air lockers front and rear
Frame is in good shape
Body is mostly rust free
Glass is fine
Heavy duty rear leaf springs
Split rims

Asking $8,000 obo. Please PM me if you're interested.

Shipping on the barge to Seattle would probably cost $2,000-$3,000 or you could come pick it up with a trailer if you're down for a really long road trip. Not in a huge hurry to sell, but would like to find it a new home by this fall.

Thanks for looking. Feel free to ask me questions even if your not interested, but just curious. I like trucks too, I get it.

Rock Island

IMG_3417.jpgIMG_3416.jpgIMG_3141.jpgIMG_0137.jpgIMG_0135.jpgIMG_3131.jpgIMG_3427.jpg

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Shipping on the barge to Seattle would probably cost $2,000-$3,000

Did you look into that?
I know plenty of people that have had vehicles sent on the Alaska Marine Line Ferries from Seattle to Skagway for about $800 - $1000.
Granted Kodiak is a little further, but I don't see the price difference being that big.

Andy G

Adventurer
Yeah, unless they've increased their costs significantly, it should be closer to the $1000-1500 amount. I left the rock in 2012, and it was about 900 for a new vehicle coming UP from Seattle.

Rock Island

Samson Tug and Barge is quoting Kodiak to Seattle for $2,280 plus $213 at each port because it's not running, for a total of $2,706. If anyone knows how to get a truck to Seattle for $1,500, I'm all ears.

Rock Island

Did you look into that?
I know plenty of people that have had vehicles sent on the Alaska Marine Line Ferries from Seattle to Skagway for about $800 - $1000.
Granted Kodiak is a little further, but I don't see the price difference being that big.

Unfortunately, Kodiak is more than "a little further" than Skagway. I'm not saying these are the only shipping options, I'm just trying to give people an idea of what to reasonable expect when looking into shipping costs.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
The NON-RUNNER part of this Toyota is the problem that adds lot's of money to the shipping cost.

The same thing in the lower 48 when you want to ship a non-runner. It's much harder to find a carrier who wants to fool with a non-runner UNLESS you are willing to pay a big premium!

Rock Island

The NON-RUNNER part of this Toyota is the problem that adds lot's of money to the shipping cost.

The same thing in the lower 48 when you want to ship a non-runner. It's much harder to find a carrier who wants to fool with a non-runner UNLESS you are willing to pay a big premium!

For the Kodiak to Seattle portion of shipping costs, there is an extra $426 charge because the truck is inoperable. I think the big part of the shipping cost is that Kodiak is a looong way from nowhere and not necessarily because the tuck isn't running.

Rock Island

How about the papers? i can not import things in europe without papers.

Unfortunately there are no papers. This truck currently has no title. I can offer a bill of sale and a copy of the bill of sale I got when I bought the truck. I'm guessing that isn't going to be enough to import this truck to Europe. A sale in the US or Canada will probably be more straightforward.

For me to get it titled, I need to have it inspected and the Alaska DMV won't inspect an "incomplete" vehicle. They consider it incomplete because the head is off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles