For Owners

For those of you who own Land Rovers this is for you =)

I have been toying with Rovers since I was about 6. My favorite toy car was a series metal model that I could open all the doors and hood etc on. So when I got my first good paying job I bought a Disco and loved it and the Defenders etc ever since despite their performance in day to day driving, or rather their reliability.

In 2004 I bought a Disco HSE and it has been a peach but I have not taken it off road like my first Rover other than on really bad winter days in the North East USA.

The insurance on my D2 is higher than on a late model Porsche 911. It rides smooth even at high speed and has not given me one problem and I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. Still 55k on her and she is perfect

Since the car industry has taken a turn with Toyotas Double Cab and FJ, along with Nissan X series and Jeep I have been looking for something I can own forever that won't be a lemon after a 100K but reminds me of my LR - Mercedes as cheap as the 2002-2004 G series has become over time are just like Rovers in reliability so it really isn't a step in the direection I want to head

We really can't count on LR bringing back Defenders until they arrive on the shore. When they do I am certain the price will be incredulous as always

I thought I wanted an FJ but it just didn't fit my personal style although I think it is a terrific truck. Nor did the Double Cab, not enough luxery or spiff for someone like me. Never liked Nissan ergonomics and I didn't find anything with the kind of affect a LR gives me

So then I went and looked and drove the new Jeep JK

If nothing else reminds you of Defender then a Hard Top Rubicon 4 door should in a 6spd. I drove it and played in it and I am overly impressed. Not to mention, it is only 28K fully loaded with a far better sound system than my HSE. The electronic lock diff most likely isn't better than the LR lock Diff but will do the job. No electric seats or heated windshield but that is ok because the top comes off easier than a defender and leaks like a D2 I am sure

In short, for those tired of the UKs fuss I implore you to drive a JK 4 door. I have never owned an American car, ever. But it is amazing this truck comes in under 30K new

Besides tha parts cost 1/2 of that of my LR and my insurance will be 1800 less a year

From one LR lover making the jump thought some of you who might dismiss what could be the best immitation ever or perhaps an improved immitation of a LR, the 4 door JK series really is a nice package with a low price

My purchase of this last LR was based on the fact I could not find anything I really liked more in terms of style. For those who allow their car to be an extension of some fabled romantic vision in your head you can understand ;)

I highly recommend you check them out

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Probably not. They are very cool, but not sexy in the same way as a D90 or series Rover.

However, a Bond girl driving a JK :smileeek:

There is nothing sexier than a cute girl driving a Jeep, particularly topless (the Jeep, not the girl).

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Jeep has been trying REAL hard to get my money since the Ulimited Rubicon. Now the 4 door with that multi peice hard top is really attractive. I love my 4Runner but I am finding more and more that the 2 door with kids is bringing the suck. The Jeep gets nearly the same MPG with twice the power and my runner............ mom is ritired chrysler so I can get employee price...The 2d Unlimited Rubi optioned how I wanted was going to be about 24k.....haven't checked the new 4d model.....now they are teasing with rumors of a diesel...........0 percent interest yet?

I may sin yet and buy one.

Ohh stuff like power windows, locks, remote entry, alarm are options on Rubies so by the time its loaded out with all that and dual tops you are about $32k. That in itself is pretty crappy becasue al lthe comfort feateurs including windows lock alarm are standard on the sahara fror 27k.

Redback

Adventurer
Ya know i love my DII and if i ever change, it would probably be to a Jeep, i just can't bring myself to owning a Jap 4wd again, the're boring, have no character and, well, OK i'm a Landy nut, what can i say:wavey:

Baz.

pangaea

Adventurer
I have to agree. While some may complain about the new JK Wrangler (loss of the 4.0L, too plush etc), I think that its probably the best thing out there as far as a new wheeling truck is concerned.

I'm going to find it hard to resist buying a 4 door Rubicon if they offer the CRD engine. Think about it- front and rear lockers, 4:1 t-case, 4.10 diffs, 32" mud terrains, hose down interior, all with a factory warranty. That's going to be a tough one to beat unless the Defender comes back to the States.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
pangaea said:
I have to agree. While some may complain about the new JK Wrangler (loss of the 4.0L, too plush etc), I think that its probably the best thing out there as far as a new wheeling truck is concerned.

I'm going to find it hard to resist buying a 4 door Rubicon if they offer the CRD engine. Think about it- front and rear lockers, 4:1 t-case, 4.10 diffs, 32" mud terrains, hose down interior, all with a factory warranty. That's going to be a tough one to beat unless the Defender comes back to the States.
Not if they try to get 40k for the defender. My buddy's well worn D90 with dents all over the body and over 100k now the dealer is still offering him 28K trying to buy it to resell it. In Atlanta you cant touch a straight low mile D90 for under 30k. Especially yellow like my buds.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/238596615.html

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
it's really too bad they discontinued the 2dr unlimited, cause sorry, but the new 4dr is ************* horrid looking and WAY too long imo. The underpinnings are alot beefier, but without the 4.0L and the LWB 2DR, I'm affraid it's a no go for me... Course I already have a gen1 4 Runner so I don't really need a rubi... But I'd like the Lockers and 4:1 T case :bowdown:

I love the look of the 4 door.

Not sure why the 4.0 is such a big deal since the thing isn't exactly a dog and they make a chip for it now. The 2 door comes in the Saharrah version which is really nice

I'll tell you this, the stock Rubi is so high off the ground it could out peform any other stock vehicle other than a Hummer H1. Also for 33K fully loaded how can one complain :smilies27

did I mention the top comes off, does the top come off your Toyota by the way :sport_box

Did I mention gas prices are not coming down:sombrero:

DId I mention chicks dig topless vehicles :shakin:

Did I mention the xtend warnty is only 1200 smcakers :bowdown:

Did I mention it comes in standard, does your Toyota come in a 6spdman :arabia:

How much longer do you think it is than a new 4 Runner? not much but hey I understand you don't like it because ..... umm right, why again :eek:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Z O O R O P A said:
did I mention the top comes off, does the top come off your Toyota by the way

Did I mention the xtend warnty is only 1200 smcakers

How much longer do you think it is than a new 4 Runner? not much but hey I understand you don't like it because ..... umm right, why again
Well, yes actually the '86 4Runner does have a removable fiberglass top. Not to mention he's got a perfectly good 20 year old Toyota that's still on the road, which sort of negates the need for an extended warranty when 200K is how long the worst abused 22R motors last. FWIW, a 1st gen 4Runner wheel base is 103" and overall is 175", the 4 door Jeep has a 116" wheelbase and overall is 174".

Last edited:
hey I used to have a Gen 1 Runner too. I wrecked one night coming back from a Dead concert

I never understood the whole idea behind the fiberglass top tho. Who is that good for? Anyone sitting in the back seat or your pup?

I love Toyotas, but I love all companies that think outside the box too and Jeep and Toyota go hand in hand in that department

so lets compare either 2006 4 Runners with 2006 wranglers or 1987 Toyotas with 1987 wranglers ok? Because you really can't compare the JK with the 87 runner, there is no comparison, not really. So lets not

"when 200K is how long the worst abused 22R motors last"
since when?

since when is insurance cheaper on a new car than on a relic anyway :wings:

since when is insurance a concern? these are not sports cars my man

my insurance quote on a JK4 door is less than it would be on a new 4 Runner but not by a lot. It is also 20$ dollars more than what it would be on a Volvo V70R which says a lot so, what about insurance

it's about twice what your insurance is on the 1 Gen Toyota, so about or less 1200 a year

I'm still missing your point, what was it again? oh right that the Jeep wheel base is 13' longer , didn't know that, that IS interesting

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
"when 200K is how long the worst abused 22R motors last"
since when?
That's just an empirical number I threw out. My engine just broke it's timing chain at 187K and I've been tough on my truck. The only other experience I have is a 1984 22R 4WD that I owned briefly had 318K miles on it and was still running. It wasn't 'wheeled hard and was just driven a lot by the original owner (I bought it for the WilderNest it had on it and sold the truck about 4 months later).
since when is insurance a concern? these are not sports cars my man
Shrug, I guess you have much more money that I do. Each dollar that goes into stuff like insurance is a dollar not spent on gas to go places or those shiny new toys that go on top!
I'm still missing your point, what was it again?
I didn't have a point, just didn't know if your questions were rhetorical or not.

justfred

Adventurer
I checked it out at the auto show.

-The front seat felt really cramped - my knee banged on the window crank
-The headroom was really low
-The sheet metal and frame seemed really thin
-I hate the dashboard feel
-You can't tow a u-haul because it has a convertible top.

Otherwise I'm sure it's a fine vehicle. The detachable doors and roof are cool. The back seat is relatively comfortable.

I tried the FJ too, and although I think it looks awesome and probably performs well offroad, the visibility was intolerably bad. So instead I traded my 98 Disco for an 02 Disco. Traction control hasn't been a problem; towing has been awesome. The front seat is still too small. Mods: roof rack from Craigslist, period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles