For Men Only!

Clutch

<---Pass
A guy a couple houses down from us has that vintage of cruiser. I say to myself, I need to buy that off him...then I say to myself...no, no I don't.

dman93

Adventurer
I don’t get the 9 forward gears, 3 reverse statement. Weren’t these 3 speeds with 2 speed transfer case?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I don’t get the 9 forward gears, 3 reverse statement. Weren’t these 3 speeds with 2 speed transfer case?

It should be straight 9 gears. My 404 has a 6 speed. On the street only 3rd - 6th are used. You can also use 1st and 2nd in reverse. There’s a tab that can be removed that prevents the use of the rest of the gears. Remove it and you can use 1st - 6th in reverse. Mogs don’t have a low range. Thy have really low bottom gears.

dman93

Adventurer
It should be straight 9 gears. My 404 has a 6 speed. On the street only 3rd - 6th are used. You can also use 1st and 2nd in reverse. There’s a tab that can be removed that prevents the use of the rest of the gears. Remove it and you can use 1st - 6th in reverse. Mogs don’t have a low range. Thy have really low bottom gears.
I was referring to the Land Cruiser ad, not the ‘Mog. But I think @dwh nailed it ... 3 speeds each (+ reverse) in 2wd, 4Hi and 4 Lo.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I was referring to the Land Cruiser ad, not the ‘Mog. But I think @dwh nailed it ... 3 speeds each (+ reverse) in 2wd, 4Hi and 4 Lo.

Well crap my bad

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Mogs don’t have a low range.
Its not controlled on a separate lever, but in a sense they do.
Its a four speed gearbox with a built in low range what takes first & second thru extra reduction. But its all controlled on the one stick.
Some guys what like tinkering made their own shiftplate ’mods to get 4lo & 4hi, total eight forward speeds.
Later generation Unimog offered similar as a factory option of six or eight speeds from the regular gearbox.

It’s not allow range anymore than a granny gear on a sm465 is a low range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94