Footware

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
What's on your feet when your walking around shore? I'm a bare foot guy but am think about some canyoneering boots or shoes because of the rocks in Arizona.

BushHead

Adventurer
Keens or flops usually.. whichever ones I get to first... but I'm not really a "gear" guy so I have no idea whats "in" or "cool" atm.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Salomon Tech Amphibs were my go to shoes for 6 or 7 years as a canoe guide, eventually got a white water kayak that they fitted in as well

https://www.olukai.com/eleu-trainer.html?color=dark-shadow-deep-red

I used these on a backcountry kayak trip in Yellowstone this year, They worked well when walking upstream for a mile or so and also dried out relatively quickly. I wouldn't recommend them for much more than summer though if you plan to get them wet, but that could be said for any shoe used without neoprene socks or something to keep your feet warm. They're lightweight and pack easily if you like a closed toe shoe.

Plus, they don't look like Teva's! *barf*

kerry

Expedition Leader
I've used a pair of Teva river shoes for about 10 years. They are finally wearing out. Got a pair of Merrell river shoes recently. Haven't worn them in the field yet. Have my doubts about them. One thing I hate about many river shoes, including the Tevas is that on gravelly rivers, they let gravel in and it lodges under your foot.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
If you have not gotten anything yet, picked up a set of 5 10 water tennie off amazon. Got them for a shoe to wear for launching a boat. Old shoes just don't cut it. Did that as a kid and the old shoes from last year were "lake shoes" that got tossed as we left the lake.
Dive booties are not durable, even the ones with a sole fall apart if you really walk around in them. They hold water and squish about. Great for diving, the intended purpose.
This shoe I can wear daily if need be, it is comfortable and durable enough. But it also takes water great. Drains right out and dries even as I wear them. Sticky sole that works on rocks.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I did buy the shoes I linked to in October and wanted to wear them enough to report back.

image.jpeg

I caught them on winter sale. https://www.astraldesigns.com/shop/footwear/mens

They are feather lite and the canvas is too. They are high top enough to hold your foot when you sink down in deep mud. When swimming over rocks and logs, the extra height in the front helps when you drag yourself over the obstacle allowing you to use the top of your foot. For hiking, they are like a high top canvas sneaker or Converse. Very flexy but they grip like glue. In the cold months, they are so airy your feet will get cold and any tiny water drop that hit shoes go directly on your feet. Not a complaint just an observation. When out of the water they drain but don't completely dry. I wear them till drip dry then remove. They dry out real fast when off and is why I chose black. They came with black and green laces. Sand and large sand can still get in but the footbed is so soft that it does not poke and bother you.
Overall I love them! When I launch the power boat, there is no hesitation getting wet vs the balancing act on the slippery wet trailer. On the canoe like we will do later today, they make portage so much faster and safe. I can stand them on my feet for hours, but like I said if I want the base of my foot to dry out, they need to be removed for a few minutes. As a canyon shoe, then they are like high top tennis shoes and are too light and soft.

jgaz

Adventurer
I did buy the shoes I linked to in October and wanted to wear them enough to report back.

View attachment 397162

I caught them on winter sale. https://www.astraldesigns.com/shop/footwear/mens

They are feather lite and the canvas is too. They are high top enough to hold your foot when you sink down in deep mud. When swimming over rocks and logs, the extra height in the front helps when you drag yourself over the obstacle allowing you to use the top of your foot. For hiking, they are like a high top canvas sneaker or Converse. Very flexy but they grip like glue. In the cold months, they are so airy your feet will get cold and any tiny water drop that hit shoes go directly on your feet. Not a complaint just an observation. When out of the water they drain but don't completely dry. I wear them till drip dry then remove. They dry out real fast when off and is why I chose black. They came with black and green laces. Sand and large sand can still get in but the footbed is so soft that it does not poke and bother you.
Overall I love them! When I launch the power boat, there is no hesitation getting wet vs the balancing act on the slippery wet trailer. On the canoe like we will do later today, they make portage so much faster and safe. I can stand them on my feet for hours, but like I said if I want the base of my foot to dry out, they need to be removed for a few minutes. As a canyon shoe, then they are like high top tennis shoes and are too light and soft.

Nice review! Thanks for taking the time to write it.
I like the design with the eyelets and laces vs fabric loops and shock cord.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke