Food: one of the treasures of travel

gjackson

FRGS
I've been going through a lot of pictures of our travels recently, and every now and again a group will jump out at me. So just because I love food and love to experience the local food when traveling, here is a sample of what we found in Morocco.

The ubiquitous tagine, this one made with fish:
attachment.php

A seafood platter served in the Western Sahara:
attachment.php

The souk in Marrakesh. Don't miss it:
attachment.php

You can go from stall to stall and get a taste or a plate, whatever you wish. It is very hard to not over-eat. And all food is served with mint tea of course.
attachment.php

So if you have pics of local fare from around the world post up.

cheers

Attachments

• Food_of_Maroc_001.JPG
    Food_of_Maroc_001.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 341
  • Food_of_Maroc_002.JPG
    Food_of_Maroc_002.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 337
  • Food_of_Maroc_003.JPG
    Food_of_Maroc_003.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 333
  • Food_of_Maroc_004.JPG
    Food_of_Maroc_004.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Food_of_Maroc_005.JPG
    Food_of_Maroc_005.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 334

Scott Brady

Founder
Marrakech is impressive, and my favorite city in Morocco. Nathan Hindman and I had a killer meal in one of the second-story restaurants, looking down on the square.

Great post.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I have been to Marrakech a number of times and as a foodie I truly loved every visit - right up to the point I met up with some revolting dish involving rotten camel meat and scrambled eggs. Eeeks. That was like a thousand hangovers in one bite.

Everything else was absolutely devine. I'll second your comment about the hazards of over eating. Mint tea between Souk gorges helps.

gjackson

FRGS
Yeah, not everything in the souk was good eating; we tried a few deserts, and they were hardly edible. But the meat and couscous and especially the pastillas are phenomenal.

cheers

Sirocco

Explorer
We had a beautiful tagine and soup for starters cooked by the elderly women who owns the camp ground at Lac Tislit in the High Atlas (2300m?) Not thought of taking photos of food before! will remember that for our next trip. anyone else been up to the lake? many roads lead to there including the Dades and Todra Gorges.

As we are only small :) she let us take the remains of the soup in our fridge and we had it for lunch the following day! proper winter style stuff it was.

G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles