Foldable/Inflatable Boats?

Photobug

Yes. The fees seemed to be to fund the AIS inspections and for use permits (which I get and which I respect in concept, but which I strongly disagree with when the fee for a cheap small kayak or canoe is the same as the fee for a $100k powerboat).

In most of the states there were inspection stations located along major routes and you were required to stop and have your boat checked out for AIS, in several cases even though you were only transporting your boat thru the state with no planned use on any of those state waters.

Some states were more demanding than others...in Colorado we were informed that a separate access/use fee was required not for AIS but basically for the privilege to use the boats in their waters (or something like that, we didn’t boat there and didn’t pay the fee...maybe a CO member can chime in).

The under 10 foot exemption seemed to be a common. I am frustrated about this arbitrary length rule because it’s a weird standard. Of course our playboats were both 10’6” long and so we had to stop and pay several times x2 boats. There was no reciprocation between states for these fees either. And SUP’s are also included in the states’ gimme, gimme more of your money rules...
Yes. The fees seemed to be to fund the AIS inspections and for use permits (which I get and which I respect in concept, but which I strongly disagree with when the fee for a cheap small kayak or canoe is the same as the fee for a $100k powerboat).

In most of the states there were inspection stations located along major routes and you were required to stop and have your boat checked out for AIS, in several cases even though you were only transporting your boat thru the state with no planned use on any of those state waters.

Some states were more demanding than others...in Colorado we were informed that a separate access/use fee was required not for AIS but basically for the privilege to use the boats in their waters (or something like that, we didn’t boat there and didn’t pay the fee...maybe a CO member can chime in).

The under 10 foot exemption seemed to be a common. I am frustrated about this arbitrary length rule because it’s a weird standard. Of course our playboats were both 10’6” long and so we had to stop and pay several times x2 boats. There was no reciprocation between states for these fees either. And SUP’s are also included in the states’ gimme, gimme more of your money rules...

For my non motorized boats, I pay $5 for my AIS in Wyoming, $7 for Idaho, Utah is free with an annual class. All of which can be paid for online and ahead of time. I find it more of a logistic problem than a major expense and it is for a good cause to keep zebra mussels from spreading and the numerous inspection stations, which is another hassle but worth it.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
For my non motorized boats, I pay $5 for my AIS in Wyoming, $7 for Idaho, Utah is free with an annual class. All of which can be paid for online and ahead of time. I find it more of a logistic problem than a major expense and it is for a good cause to keep zebra mussels from spreading and the numerous inspection stations, which is another hassle but worth it.

Well that’s not that bad at all if you live in Wyoming, but for thru travelers out exploring the west and stopping perhaps for only a couple of days in those inspection states, all I’m saying is these fees add up pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Photobug

Well that’s not that bad at all if you live in Wyoming, but for thru travelers out exploring the west and stopping perhaps for only a couple of days in those inspection states, all I’m saying is these fees add up pretty quickly.

The real pain are the inspection stations. I paddle my inflatable kayak many times throughout the summer and have to stop to get inspected each time I pass through a location and get a card filled out for the day, even though me and the boat are registered, tagged and the last body of water it was in was the one I am going back to that day. On a road trip to Northern Idaho last summer I towed a tiny sailboat and had to stop I'd guess 6+ times round trip, even though where I am coming from and going to are mussel free.

Except for Whitewater kayaks, all my boats are way longer than 10 feet. I have trouble imagining a sub 10 foot boat I would want to paddle on flat water.

Paredneck

Observer
I have a 2 person pack raft from alpacka. its the Oryx . cant beat how small it folds up and pretty east to inflate and deflate especially with a small electric pump.

trae

Adventurer
I have a 2 person pack raft from alpacka. its the Oryx . cant beat how small it folds up and pretty east to inflate and deflate especially with a small electric pump.

How do you like it? I'm really interested in one of the single Kokopelli models. What are the drawbacks of having a small inflatable like that? I primarily want to try rivers and lakes.

Paredneck

Observer
How do you like it? I'm really interested in one of the single Kokopelli models. What are the drawbacks of having a small inflatable like that? I primarily want to try rivers and lakes.
they don't paddle as nice as a hard sided boat. for me its have a packable boat or no boat most of the time. local rivers and lakes i still choose my canoe or kayak though. really depends on what you want from it. read lots of reviews. some paddle better on flat water than others, some are more white water oriented. I went with a flatwater model

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior