Foldable/Inflatable Boats?

We have an inflatable kayak and inflatable paddleboard. The kayak seats aren't very comfortable. I'm looking at a BKC 2-seater sit-on plastic job w/ aluminum frame seats. It'll hold 770#, so that means a cooler will fit, and it's made for fishin'.

mmp3823

Observer
We have a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak and also a SUP. They work well and have had them for a couple of years. Sea Eagle will have sales from time to time and that is when we picked up ours for a decent price. I have also heard good things about Advanced Elements.

Bravo30

We went with the Sea Eagle TC16.

incredible boat! This is my first experience with drop strip technology. The canoe is as stiff as a foam boogie board!
We took it out on the lake and it handled well and with both of us paddling it got up to speed quickly. The only downside is that with just 2 of us and a dog it still sits high in the water and can be a bit unstable if your not careful. We almost flipped a few times but eventually got the hang of it. I think if you loaded it up with camping gear it will settle down a bit. We also have the upgraded traditional seats and they sit kind of high so we’re going to try the inflatable seats with backs, they seam to sit lower so that should help also.

From carrying it out of the van to being fully inflated only took us 15mins. Deflating is even faster. You unscrew 3 valves and that’s it. The air comes out with some force. Afterwards you simply fold it in half down the center line and fold it up.

Attachments

• 62710ECB-6E05-4F4F-936E-73251E937A18.jpeg
    62710ECB-6E05-4F4F-936E-73251E937A18.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
  • 0EB087DD-C250-48B2-8B99-F13CB3F8FD76.jpeg
    0EB087DD-C250-48B2-8B99-F13CB3F8FD76.jpeg
    498.7 KB · Views: 44

Bravo30

The material is pretty thick so dog friendly for us with our Shortybull, she just sat in the front so no problems. I don’t know how it would work out with a larger dog that liked to jump around. It is an inflatable boat after all so you have to be mindful of your dogs nails etc.

Attachments

• 9CAA0C3A-8783-4E56-A1F5-C8B3A10C364E.jpeg
    9CAA0C3A-8783-4E56-A1F5-C8B3A10C364E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24

Bravo30

The entire thing folds up too a tight package that fits easily and out of the way inside the van. Perfect balance between capability, size and ease of use for what we need.

They say it’s rated for 900lbs total so that should be enough for some flat water camping once we get out west again.

Attachments

• 14DE1469-77AC-4C9D-A5EF-71FD8816C1C7.jpeg
    14DE1469-77AC-4C9D-A5EF-71FD8816C1C7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25

F350joe

A portable boat is something i have struggled with for a long time and have overlanded with them all. First off, inflatable anything pretty much sucks performance wise and is less than ideal in a camp setting. My inflatble kayak with a frame still sucked to paddle long distances, bad tracking. My inflatable Takacat literally fell apart at the seams after one day on a cold mountain lake. They dont make PVC glue like they used to and it will fail somewhere in 3-5 years, if you don’t rip it open on a stick or rock first. Welded seams don't like to be stored folded. I currently rock an old Grumman square stern canoe which i can set up to paddle, trolling motor, or 9.8hp 2 stroke. Its strong as anything and can be banged around no problem but would probably be to heavy and awkward to get on the roof of a sprinter. The Grumman will go on one last trip to Picacho on the colorado river in a few months and then probably get sold for something easier for one person to lug around. Next boat will be a Porta Bote or an expedition paddle board like this...https://youtu.be/ikYDIdltIQs which is actually heavier than the canoe but is shorter and lower profile, not such a hit to mpg. 2F2FDEAD-E18B-4CCE-97F1-4DE107A07608.jpeg3D9A2F14-0E6C-4C9B-A175-AC288AC50F30.jpegBFCD8367-A944-466D-8428-B36F60B68A4A.jpegE505AB50-DF5B-45EB-AD62-E041C3FBB6E5.jpeg87D4D0EC-C507-4A87-8C41-D976B2FB9505.jpeg177FCFA0-CEB0-48C6-B612-ACEA5DB552AA.jpegDF1290CD-00A1-4B1B-A2EA-F77148AE867B.jpeg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Nesting Dinghy? Something us sailors use. Its not something you will see land lubbers talk about. A nesting dinghy puts any inflatable to shame. I just bought a new Westmarine 310 inflatable floor to replace my 1985 Avon it we use it with our sailboat, but do take it camping to lakes. A nesting dinghy would make me officially a salty sailor but I haven’t earned that title yet?

revbillyg

If you can find one the intex mariner 4 has a pretty good following on FB. some good cheap easy mods. not fast but stows small and can put a small motor on it to get around. I found mine used for 60$.

The_Squid

I’m a bit late to this thread. Not sure if the OP has found something already.

I own a Stryker 380. It folds up and can easily fit into my pickup, or our Subaru. It will also fit onto our little expedition trailer, which also has an outboard mount on the side. It has removable aluminium floorboards and an inflatable keel. Weighs about 200 lbs without motor.

I use a Merc 20 on big lakes and with 2 people, as it weighs about 100 pounds alone. It’s a strain to mount in the field by myself. It’ll push around the boat at 30 km/hr (~20 MPH) with 2 people in it.

For smaller lakes, or if I’m by myself, I have a Merc 6hp, which I just bought and haven’t run with yet. I can pack that one around by myself quite easily.

I also have an electric OB for small lakes with motor restrictions.
I have a small trailer for it so I can just set it up and tow it from home. Very versatile little boat. I’ve really enjoyed it and have been satisfied by the choice to go this route.

D5B200D0-65A6-42F1-94AB-5028C4224B1E.jpeg

Photobug

I pretty much have one of everything, two of most, when it comes to watercraft, that is not a power boat.

I really like my Sea Eagle 420x. It is a little bulky and possibly too heavy to put onto a roof, but fits beautifully in the back of a truck or even a compact hatchback if camping equip is not at a space premium.

If I had a roof rack on my current rig I would consider some type of rigid tandem either sit on top or sit in with a big open cockpit.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
If you can find one the intex mariner 4 has a pretty good following on FB. some good cheap easy mods. not fast but stows small and can put a small motor on it to get around. I found mine used for 60$.

That looks like a nice boat. It’s weird tho, the pics of it on their website seem to put the seats in backwards (pointy looking bow is the stern there?)!

Anyway, too bad that rig is 129”.

I mention this length thing as a caution to anyone considering making a play boat purchase and using their new portable boat in the western US.

In the last few summers, as we traveled through 15 of the western and mid-western states, we found time after time that users of boats over @10’ had to buy various “annual” permits to legally use those watercraft in state waters. There was no “just passing through for a day or two, short stay” cheaper fee structure either.

While the purpose of the fees certainly is laudable since they were being used to raise money to fight invasive aquatic species and weeds, after paying for these permits in numerous states, those extra costs really had added up (we had two boats).

So in short, if you can find a smaller boat that you’re happy with, you may be able to improve your travel budget a bit...at least out here in the formerly wild and free west.

I responded at the top, but I'll add more info than my general statement, incase anyone else is looking.

Inflatable Kayak
Or whatever off-brand; it's the same manufacturer. Pretty durable with canvas lining the outside. It's not real comfortable for me, being on the bigger side and using the provided seats.

Inflatable SUP

The kayak inflates with a standard open-hole, so a handpump or electric pump will work. The SUP has the twist-and-lock style, so it requires it's own pump connection. I haven't looked to see if there are adapters or not that would allow me to carry only one type of inflation power (electric pump and hand pump).

This summer we brought along the SUP and the wife took it on Jackson Lake so far out I was starting to get a little nervous. I could barely make out where she was, if I was lucky.

We might look into another SUP, but one with a seat or a handle, as my wife has an ear condition that destroys her balance. She usually kneels and paddles.

Last edited:

Photobug

In the last few summers, as we traveled through 15 of the western and mid-western states, we found time after time that users of boats over @10’ had to buy various “annual” permits to legally use those watercraft in state waters. There was no “just passing through for a day or two, short stay” cheaper fee structure either.

I have a Wyoming registered boat I keep in Utah with no problem and a California registered boat kept in Wyoming waters. Are these fees for aquatic invasive species and are you exempt for under 10 feet for AIS stickers?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I have a Wyoming registered boat I keep in Utah with no problem and a California registered boat kept in Wyoming waters. Are these fees for aquatic invasive species and are you exempt for under 10 feet for AIS stickers?

Yes. The fees seemed to be to fund the AIS inspections and for use permits (which I get and which I respect in concept, but which I strongly disagree with when the fee for a cheap small kayak or canoe is the same as the fee for a $100k powerboat).

In most of the states there were inspection stations located along major routes and you were required to stop and have your boat checked out for AIS, in several cases even though you were only transporting your boat thru the state with no planned use on any of those state waters.

Some states were more demanding than others...in Colorado we were informed that a separate access/use fee was required not for AIS but basically for the privilege to use the boats in their waters (or something like that, we didn’t boat there and didn’t pay the fee...maybe a CO member can chime in).

The under 10 foot exemption seemed to be a common. I am frustrated about this arbitrary length rule because it’s a weird standard. Of course our playboats were both 10’6” long and so we had to stop and pay several times x2 boats. There was no reciprocation between states for these fees either. And SUP’s are also included in the states’ gimme, gimme more of your money rules...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne