Fold down table for rear door?

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I like chazz's idea, however i would still have a door skin as when you are chopping or preparing, its nice to have a backsplash and not have carrots, etc falling into the door panel.

Good point. While I wouldn't be doing a lot of this with a mere JetBoil for flame (that's what the trailer is for :)), I think I will factor some sort of backsplash into the design.

fishEH

Explorer
What are all you guys doing with the stock sub-woofer back there? Are you pitching it, moving it, or replacing it? Is it noticable when listen to the stereo?

I'd like to do something like the cargo door table but am hesitant to yank the sub.

jrose609

Explorer
What are all you guys doing with the stock sub-woofer back there? Are you pitching it, moving it, or replacing it? Is it noticable when listen to the stereo?

I'd like to do something like the cargo door table but am hesitant to yank the sub.

Your subs still work? I just installed an Alpine stereo and new speakers all the way around. Got rid of the subs. Sounds 100x better. Hoping to get an amp and a new sub, and it will really rock.

Chazz Layne

Administrator

Some (most) of the pre-fab panels have options for keeping the subs, little pocket, handle, etc. for additional cost. IIRC, Roxtar Fab was most willing to do "custom" work like this.

In my case, I opted for a blank panel as I am building a drawer system that would cover it up anyhow. It will be split into the separate speakers, moved to the front of the drawer system and flush-mounted. It is very noticeable with it missing, and I can't wait to get it installed again.

ruditron

Adventurer
previous owner installed this B.A. sub on the driverside tucked nicely in the wheel well space.

39989_1580330227693_1218791070_1631518_8129424_n.jpg

11b4v

Adventurer
Benlittle

that table is the shazam! My wife now wants me to move the Rover project towards a mobile kitchen.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I pulled the panel off today to have a peek (and do some unrelated maintenance). There is a lot of bracing in there as mentioned, but depending on how tightly you pack your D2 it might be worth the minimal effort necessary to use the space. A micro kitchen based on a small stove would fit perfectly in the existing cavity where the speakers used to be. Unfortunately, a JetBoil won't fit because the door is simply not deep enough - it sticks out.

I'm going to re-work my table and use the area for some of the smaller gear I always carry (first aid kit, ammo, towing gear, etc.).

benlittle

Adventurer
I pulled the panel off today to have a peek (and do some unrelated maintenance). There is a lot of bracing in there as mentioned, but depending on how tightly you pack your D2 it might be worth the minimal effort necessary to use the space. A micro kitchen based on a small stove would fit perfectly in the existing cavity where the speakers used to be. Unfortunately, a JetBoil won't fit because the door is simply not deep enough - it sticks out.

I'm going to re-work my table and use the area for some of the smaller gear I always carry (first aid kit, ammo, towing gear, etc.).

Am I hearing you correctly? Reworking this "space" is going to add up to zero. I haven't seen your cargo setup but I'm guessing you aren't stacking pelican's to the roof line and in that case; why not take advantage of actual workable "space"?

Trying to fit a 2x3 stove into your rear door has to be the worst idea I've ever heard. Talk about serious diminished returns. We're not talking about something the size of a 1600 pelican! You're talking about opening up the cavity of your rear door to fit a small backpacking stove.

mspeters

D1 Table

This thread stimulated a long overdue camp table for a 97 D1 5-spd, that I have owned since new.

Started with a rear door plate from Lucky8 with .100 soft-pattern tread plate left over from mighty mite projects and ~70 AD rivets. Hinges are out of the McMaster catalog.

Attachments

• table1 s.jpg
    table1 s.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 190
  • table 2 s.jpg
    table 2 s.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 141

fishEH

Explorer
This thread stimulated a long overdue camp table for a 97 D1 5-spd, that I have owned since new.

Started with a rear door plate from Lucky8 with .100 soft-pattern tread plate left over from mighty mite projects and ~70 AD rivets. Hinges are out of the McMaster catalog.

I like that a LOT. Very clean, very simple. Many ideas churning in my brain. :)

Big D

Observer
Love the idea the only problem I see in Ontario is mosquitos! Everywhere....so forget about cooking...lol..

ssssnake529

Explorer
Finished my fold-down table.

The key was the Columbia Overland stainless steel panel for the back door.

Once I got that, it was easy to fabricate the table and attach it to the steel panel.

I used marine plywood for the table, and coated it with truck bed liner paint to make it durable and non-slip. It's held in the raised position by strong magnets.

tableup.jpg

tabledown.jpg

fishEH

Explorer
Looks good. You going to upgrade that twine?
Do you have any info on your drawer system posted somewhere?

Thor

Observer
What happened to beef jerkey and a cooler of Mt. Dew? Virtually no preparation and I can sit on my prep table / errr RR rear tailgate?

Just kidding... looks neat guys!

ssssnake529

Explorer
Looks good. You going to upgrade that twine?
Do you have any info on your drawer system posted somewhere?

I think I will keep the twine. I thought about chain or cable, but the twine is lighter and doesn't clink, kink, or make noise. It's 3 mil perlon cord, so it's plenty strong.

The drawer system is African Outback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94