Foam mattress

ethernectar

Adventurer
What have you other DIYers done for foam mattresses?

There's so many varieties of foam I'm not sure where to start looking.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I once took a sheet of this stuff:

http://foammart.com/foam-flexible-open-cell/medium-density-1-in/

Bought the cheapest sleeping bag I could find (like 15 bucks at Big 5) and cut the foam into pieces that would fit into the sleeping bag. Ended up with 3 layers, so it was 3" of foam. It was actually a bloody good mattress, and the nylon shell of the el cheapo sleeping bag lasted a lot longer than I originally thought it would.

I wouldn't go less than 3" though. I tried it with two layers one night, and it wasn't enough padding. With 3 layers, very nice.

Plus, it would come apart and each piece of foam rolled up pretty tight - like 6" diameter. The sleeping bag went into a stuff sack.

bob91yj

Resident **************
I had two memory foam mattress toppers that I cut to size for my camper. Two- 2" layers does the trick for us. Not a very cost effective option unless you aren't using the toppers to begin with.

pods8

Explorer
For my current camper build I'll need a 4" thick queen sized foam mattress and (4) ~20"x40" 3" thick cushions for the dinette/bed. For the mattress I was intending to use a dual layer ikea foam mattress "SULTAN FLORVÅG" however I don't see it in the queen size on their site at the moment so may have to rethink that plan if they no longer carry it when I'll need it in a few months.

For the custom sized cushions I was going to order from www.thefoamfactory.com: http://www.thefoamfactory.com/Merch...tore_Code=foambymail&category_id=1&shape_id=1 I've gotten some cushions for my current camper when I did a bed extension from them. I got the LUX-R, its quite firm. I may consider the HD36 this round, not sure since its a dinette but not too expensive if I change my mind either. For a bed I think I'd use the HD36 (or a dual layer) since the LUX-R can make for sore hips and such since its quite firm, definitely no worries about bottoming out. That site has lots of foam types/toppers/etc. Pretty darn good pricing and free shipping over $75.

Last edited:
I bought a "memory foam" mattress topper and an egg crate mattress topper from Wal-mart. I believe the egg crate was 10 bucks or so for a queen and the fake memory foam was $35. It was pretty good but I think I would just buy 3 of the $10 dollar ones next time and stack them for a nice $30 mattress.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-1.5-Comfort-Coil-Foam-Mattress-Pad/10055840

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-1.5-Memory-Foam-Combo-Mattress-Topper/17057120

They had these 4" foam pads with a decorative cover overseas that were awesome on top of a cot. Probably had my best sleep ever on one of these combos. These "hadji mattresses" would be awesome for something like this but couldn't I find them here.

98roamer

Explorer
First, a memory foam bed is not just memory foam. It is a layer of memory foam over one or more layers of regular foam, usually of differing densities and firmness (ILD) levels. Memory foam alone doesn't provide all of the necessary support. When you put a memory foam "mattress topper" on a standard mattress you are using the standard mattress for the required support. How well that works depends on the style and quality of that mattress.

Without going into all of the detail I discovered, here are some valuable summary facts. You should know the density (weight per cubic foot) and firmness (how easily the foam yields to pressure) of the memory foam and the underlying foam (or other substance if you have something else under there) in order to get the arrangement that is most durable and comfortable for you. Density and firmness are independent measures, BTW.

You should also know who made the foam. A lot of foreign manufacturers are flooding the US market with cheap copy-cat foam, often made with toxic chemicals (that may out-gas) and/or clay particles to make the foam seem denser than it really is. This is done to cheat you because the denser the foam, the higher the cost. Their foam is also low ILD. The bottom line is that you should only buy memory foam made by one of these companies if you want your money's worth and to avoid possible health hazards: Tempurpedic, Foamex, Isoform and Novoform.

Each company makes various product lines. For example, Foamex makes Venus (8 lb. density & 15 ILD), Sensus (5 lb. density & 13 ILD), Aerus (4 lb. density & 12 ILD) and Comfort3 (3 lb. density & 10 ILD). ILD is a measure of firmness: higher number is more firm. Memory foam should generally have an ILD in the ranges Foamex uses. The support layers, OTOH, should have densities in the 2.5-3 lb. areas and ILDs of 35-45.

http://www.foamandupholstery.com/Foam_Specs.htm#Open%20Cell%20Foam%20Specs

It's best to have a three layer support mattress with the density increasing from top to bottom or have the most dense foam on the bottom.

Right now my wife and I are experimenting with a topper and air-mattresses. I'm trying to duplicate a select number bed.

scoutkid

Van Builder
First, a memory foam bed is not just memory foam. It is a layer of memory foam over one or more layers of regular foam, usually of differing densities and firmness (ILD) levels. Memory foam alone doesn't provide all of the necessary support. When you put a memory foam "mattress topper" on a standard mattress you are using the standard mattress for the required support. How well that works depends on the style and quality of that mattress.

Without going into all of the detail I discovered, here are some valuable summary facts. You should know the density (weight per cubic foot) and firmness (how easily the foam yields to pressure) of the memory foam and the underlying foam (or other substance if you have something else under there) in order to get the arrangement that is most durable and comfortable for you. Density and firmness are independent measures, BTW.

You should also know who made the foam. A lot of foreign manufacturers are flooding the US market with cheap copy-cat foam, often made with toxic chemicals (that may out-gas) and/or clay particles to make the foam seem denser than it really is. This is done to cheat you because the denser the foam, the higher the cost. Their foam is also low ILD. The bottom line is that you should only buy memory foam made by one of these companies if you want your money's worth and to avoid possible health hazards: Tempurpedic, Foamex, Isoform and Novoform.

Each company makes various product lines. For example, Foamex makes Venus (8 lb. density & 15 ILD), Sensus (5 lb. density & 13 ILD), Aerus (4 lb. density & 12 ILD) and Comfort3 (3 lb. density & 10 ILD). ILD is a measure of firmness: higher number is more firm. Memory foam should generally have an ILD in the ranges Foamex uses. The support layers, OTOH, should have densities in the 2.5-3 lb. areas and ILDs of 35-45.

It's best to have a three layer support mattress with the density increasing from top to bottom or have the most dense foam on the bottom.

Right now my wife and I are experimenting with a topper and air-mattresses. I'm trying to duplicate a select number bed.

Wow!

ethernectar

Adventurer

Wow again.

Ok, just tell me what setup you purchased and I'll trust it.

Telcobilly

Observer
Thats exactly what I did when I was trucking. The sleeper mattress was like concrete, so I ended up with 3 of the waffle foam mattresses. I like the idea of a cheapo sleeping bag stuffed with the foam, I'm going to do that when I get my utility body camper project off the ground.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Our Little Guy came with two foam mattresses that were 34.5" x 80" x 3". They're not bad but I'm pretty dense and wide so I cut down a 2.5" gel memory foam topper from BJ's (~ $140) and stuffed the other mattresses under it in the poly/cotton wrapper it comes with. Put a regular king mattress protector over that and it's just as comfy as our cal-king Tempurpedic at home.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Thats exactly what I did when I was trucking. The sleeper mattress was like concrete, so I ended up with 3 of the waffle foam mattresses. I like the idea of a cheapo sleeping bag stuffed with the foam, I'm going to do that when I get my utility body camper project off the ground.

Yea. It worked well. I just remembered something else about that setup. In the winter, I added a slim foam camping sleeping pad to it. One of the blue ones with the egg carton texture on one side. So it was 3 layers of the 1" open cell foam, and that sleeping pad on the top (closed cell IIRC) - all inside the sleeping bag.

I remember that you could literally FEEL the heat being reflected off that mattress when laying on it with that blue pad added.

Not what you want in summer, but as a winter mattress - I was a tent camper back then - it was awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne