FM82 Offroad Teardrop Build

silvrzuki77

explorer
Looking good soo far.. Question though did you sleeve that axle when you cut it down?? If not I would be really nervous about it snapping at the the weld. I have shortned several trailer axle but either internally or externally sleeved it. Hate to see it snap.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I would be concerned about it bending or snapping without a sleeve also. 2000 pounds is about right for a tear drop, depending on water tank size. Have you located the water tank, or did I miss that.

Sleeving it with tubular steel was my preferred route, but the only size I was coming across would leave 1/4-1/2" wiggle room. What I did was 1" angle that extends from one spring seat to the other. Again, not my preferred route as far as looks goes, but it serves it's purpose.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Almost got the belly painted up today. Not too much more. Still need to remove the floor compartment and skin it in metal before it's all done.

Last edited:
Thanks! I appreciate it. I decided to take a loss on the extra foot room on the far back sides and box them in to use for electrical components. Hopefully it won't be regretted. How's your camper held up? Any regrets on it?

Edit: Just caught the tail end of your thread. Been awhile since I was on there. Anxious to see version 2. Good luck. I'm sure it will be awesome.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Changed my mind and decided to do metal framing for the walls, so I picked up some 11 gauge 1" square tubing and started the process this afternoon. So far, I have the fender framing welded up waiting to be put on, and the wall base that you can see in the picture. The framing will be secured in place by chassis bolts that extend through the trailer frame.

Last edited:
Hahaha thanks Greg. I appreciate the comment. Silver zuke, as far as the roller goes, I'm pretty sure I can get the door framing done myself, but I'm praying the some-what local fab shop can put the large bends in for me. If not, this may get pretty redneck and comical all at the same time. The fab shop does some pretty extensive metal work, and I hear he does have the bender, soooo here's hoping it pans out in my favor.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles