FM82 Offroad Teardrop Build

New to the site. I have, however been silently visiting the site for a little while after gaining interest in taking on a project of my own. My original plan was to build off of a trailer that was given to me, but soon realized the frame was bent, so it was back to the drawing board. I searched around and came across stomperXJ's Sawtooth build and really like the design, which inspired me to jump in head first on this build. Originally, I wanted to follow the full design of his Sawtooth, but changed plans about a quarter of the way through. What I appreciated most about his build was the frame design, so I followed it fairly close, with some differences. On this design, I plan to make the cabin design like the Moby1 offroad camper.

As of now, I am about half way through the build, but I'd like to post my build pics as they progressed, and continue to update. Maybe even get some suggestions or ideas from others.

Specs:

Trailer:
- 2"x2" 11 ga. Square Steel Tubing.
- 2000 lb Axel
- 16"x8" Jeep Moab Wheels
- 265/75 MT Tires
- SmittyBilt XRC Modified Tube Fenders
- Bulldog Jacks
- 24 ga. Galvanized Floor Skin
- 2"x2" Pine Floor Frame
- Fiber Insulation
- 1" PVC Conduit
- 3/4" Birch Plywood
- 12v Floor Outlets

Cabin:
- L 7' x W 5' x H 4'
- 1" Square Steel Tubing
- 1/8" Aluminum Composite Exterior Walls
- 1" Steel Tube Roof Rack
- 1" Foam Insulation
- 3/4" Ply Doors
- 15" x 25" Sliding Windows
- 1" PVC Conduit
- 1/8" Interior Walls
- 110v and 12v power
- 5,000 btu A/C unit

Last edited:
After a trip to the local metal yard and $90.00 later, I got the frame welded up like I wanted it. The springs I took from the freebee trailer that was bent.
IMG_147957985951725.jpegIMG_147973774750746.jpeg

EDIT, February 2019: Don't build your frame like I did. I think the frame will be fine, but I would never do this again, and most definitely wouldn't recommend anyone to follow my lead with this frame design.

Last edited:
I planned on using the axel from the free trailer, but ended up having to purchase a new one. I came across a 2000 lb axel with spindels for $68.00 at a local liquidator store, picked up new hubs and gave the old springs a new rattle can paint job.

Last edited:
Picked up a pair of used Moab wheels, and spacers to allow the wheels to be used on the trailer hubs.

Last edited:
The new axel ended up being way too wide for my liking, and nearly defeated the purpose of the frame design, so I decided to cut the axel down so that it would track as close to the Jeep as possible. And it was setting slightly higher than I had expected, so I planned to change to a spring under setup.

Last edited:

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Very nice start! I'm going to live vicariously through you until I can get my build going again!

Thanks! No Mark I don't. My original drawings were all done going off of the sawtooth build, but now that I have completed the floor, I will be pulling out the ol' pencil and paper again. I have been tossing around a few ideas in my head on how I want to do it, but as of now, I think I may do 1/2" outer walls, 3/4" inner and 1/8" inner skin. The inner frame I think will be made from a 4x8 sheet and cut outs for insulation. I will be putting several more pictures up a little later that are up to date.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I kept reading posts from others that have tried brushing on the bedliner/undercoating and having bad results over time, so I decided to take a different approach and skinned the frame with 24 gauge galvanized steel used to protect the wood from the elements. Before I paint the underside, I will be sealing the the joints all the way around to try and keep water from setting up between the metals.

As for the jacks, I wanted to keep a somewhat sleek design, so I went with removable jacks. Mounts welded on each corner to allow me to have one on the tongue and one (as of now)on a rear corner to level it out.

I just got a third mounting ring, so I have yet to weld on the passenger side.

Finally put down the grinder at this point and got to slap some wood on it. I ripped 3 2x4s and framed out the floor to have a cavity for insulation and wiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles