FM82 Offroad Teardrop Build

Thanks! I nixed the idea of bending the square tubing for the door casing frame. I don't know what made me think that was a good idea. Much easier this way. That's 8 bends I don't have to worry about now.

If the weather holds out tomorrow I should have some pics to post of the wall framing progress tomorrow. So far, I have the lower rear half done. Now that I have the door casings I should be able to finish off the entire lower half.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Didn't quite make it before the rain started coming in, but I made some decent progress.

Last edited:
Killing time and drew out a the basic layout idea I'm thinking of. Thinking about sinking some shelving into the walls on the left and right.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I can tell you that Frank is one of the nicest, honest guys I have met since building my first tear drop. I have never used their trim though. He has built 100's of tear drops though. No knock on the second one, just do not know anything about them. Good luck, trim on sharp corners is tough.

Apparently the second company makes their own trim out of some concoction that makes it more flexible. Not sure though. Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can email him and get some info. If you have anymore advice on bending this trim feel free to toss it my way. Much appreciated!

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Talk with Gabe at SoCal Tear Drops. He maybe able to give you advice on it. He buys something that is soft and then hardens. My trailers are much more drastic in bends and I was not interested in spending 6k on jigs/dies and the like to make it perfect. I cut mine and bend as I go around the curve. Not as pretty, but does the job and saves the customer money. I have never had anyone say wow that sucks, so you can do it without special stuff.

I would definitely talk to the guy that makes his own, you never know. Like I said before, you can learn from everyone on these things. I always listen to ideas, thoughts or complaints!!!!

Ok thanks, I'll check in with that one too. I thought about making cuts in the corners, but I don't have the gun to do aluminum welds so i would have to leave the seams open. Do you weld yours back after the cut is made?

silvrzuki77

explorer
The people at vintage are awesome and super nice! Are talking about around corners are when you put to two pieces together?

What I was talking about, and what I thought skersfan was talking about was making relief cuts to the outer edge so that it will make the corners easier. But like I said, I wouldn't be able to weld them back up.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Ahh, I used everything from vintage and I didnt have any issue when bending it. I used a round rubber mallet around the actual door frame to help get the shape.

Ahh, I used everything from vintage and I didnt have any issue when bending it. I used a round rubber mallet around the actual door frame to help get the shape.

Awesome. That's good news. Ok one more question. What do y'all think about using the the roof edge trim style like the one from the second company for my jambs? The reason I say that is because it has a 1" inner width that would cover my 1.5" jamb a little more. The outer edge is a little wider, but I wouldn't think that would be a bad thing. Thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles