Flyingwil's Taco is growing up!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
D4Dave said:
Very nice rig you have there buddy, I am impressed.

Thanks, that means a lot coming from Western Australia where just about every fourbie down there I am jealous of!

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
New member to the Flying family...

flyingwil said:
I am going to go step by step on this one... I am going to be off the trails for a while as FlyingBaby should be arriving soon!:wings: ...I'll keep you all posted.

Good luck and looking forward to having another expedition member join this world! The mods will be there when you return.

7wt

Expedition Leader
flyingwil said:
1,000 words here:
IMG_1962.JPG
Nice. So what do you think of the Sways? What made you choose them?

flyingwil

7wt said:
Nice. So what do you think of the Sways? What made you choose them?

So far I love them... they were easy to install. I choose the RaceRunners because of their price, and overall comments and suggestions on other forums. I plan on doing a review article on them and at the price I think that a lower priced unit would be good to test. I would like to set them up head to head with DR's co's and that is in the works.

You can also see that I mounted the valve in the rear to prevent tampering (before anyone says anything about them).

flyingwil

To better accommodate FlyingBaby the rear seat was put back into the Taco, and the platform and engel removed. In addition to that the rack is off the truck and has been replaced by a Can-Back to house the fridge and upcoming drawer system (still in the design mode).

For some reason I never liked the looks of a traditional truck topper and this offers me the best of both worlds.

Here is what is sitting in a pile in my garage awaiting installation:
  • greasable shackles
  • Engel and slide (to be re-installed)
  • Eezi-Awn (to be re-installed)
  • Winch (awaiting bumper)
  • Lights (awaiting bumper)
  • Spare (awaiting unveiling of the expedition rear bumper in Aug!)
  • Spark Plugs
  • Shower

I wasn't able to get any pics, and know that this is a near worthless post with out pics.

So hopefully my next post can include pics of the can-back.

Next-up is mounting the eezi-awn, and configuring the drawer system.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Aren't we due an update on a certain battery system? :cow:

And which shackles did you choose? My Tacoma's rear has goten very squeeky so I'm ready to try something greasable.

Pete

flyingwil

mountainpete said:
Aren't we due an update on a certain battery system? :cow:
Ever try to type with one hand!? FlyingBaby has been demanding! The Dual Oddessey Battery article is upcoming... I just ran heat, and vibrations test... Batteries and mount passed, my rear spring hanger did not... (I forgot to torque the bolt to 111lbs!) Doh!

mountainpete said:
And which shackles did you choose? My Tacoma's rear has goten very squeeky so I'm ready to try something greasable.

I went with AllPro's greasable shackles. They are 1.5" longer than stock and should provide about 3/4" of lift over the OEM shackles, they also have Zerk fittings on the bolts for lubing.
spring_shackles_l.jpg

flyingwil

7wt said:
Nice looking shackles. I wished they had some like that at stock length.

They are a bit more beefy than I thought they would come. My major worry was the with the Zerk fitting the bolt would be weaker, however, now that I have held them in my hands it is no longer a concern of mine.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Shackles and spring mounts

flyingwil,
did you destroy your rear spring hanger? Hopefully not.

Those are some beefy looking shackles. Sounds like the truck is progressing well even with the new family member. :)

Cheers :beer:,
P

flyingwil said:
The Dual Oddessey Battery article is upcoming... I just ran heat, and vibrations test... Batteries and mount passed, my rear spring hanger did not... (I forgot to torque the bolt to 111lbs!) Doh!

I went with AllPro's greasable shackles. They are 1.5" longer than stock and should provide about 3/4" of lift over the OEM shackles, they also have Zerk fittings on the bolts for lubing.

Willman

flyingwil said:
To better accommodate FlyingBaby the rear seat was put back into the Taco, and the platform and engel removed. In addition to that the rack is off the truck and has been replaced by a Can-Back to house the fridge and upcoming drawer system (still in the design mode).

I bet a AT trailer is coming in the future!:) ....more kids!!!!

Your mods are coming along!!!! Keep up the good work!

:jumping:

flyingwil

p1michaud said:
flyingwil,
did you destroy your rear spring hanger? Hopefully not.

Just daily driving on the wrong springs with a load messed up the OEM shackles, by bending and denting them. No damage was done to the hanger other than a small contact dent the size of the tip of a Sharpie marker. (Luckily)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles