Flyingwil's Taco is growing up!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Next mod is going to be the Engel Fridge/Freezer, with a TwoZone compartment!

I am currently debating Line-X on the lower Rocker pannels...Prior to the DO Sliders I had a rock do a good number on the passenger side, so now it is Line-X or repaint to prevent rust.

One of the two is next... then the snorkel! YEAH BABY, YEAH!

Wil

flyingwil

***Cheap Mod #2***

A few weeks after I got my Taco I did the "Grey Wire Mod." For those of you unfamilar with this mod, it enables you to use the TRD e-locker in 2WD and 4Hi rather than 4Lo only. This is done by grounding the grey (not grey on all model years) on the #8 pin from the Denso 4Wheel drive computer.

Note: This mod works for only the first and second generation Tacoma's.

Parts/Materials Needed:
  • 1 12" piece of wire (18g if you want to match factory)
  • 1 butt connector
  • 1 ring connector
  • some electrical tape

Tools Needed:
  • 10mm socket and ratchet
  • wire cutters
  • philips head screw driver

Estimated Time: < 25 min

Procedure:

1) Remove the plastic strip that has four screws in it on the driver's side.

2) Remove the driver's side-kick panel. This would be down by your left foot.

image002.jpg

3) Locate the 4WD computer, it is toward the back of the panel area close to the firewall. It's obvious which box is the 4WD computer by the decal placed on it (it is about 4 inches square by 1 inch thick).

4x4%20Computer%20small.jpg

4x4%20Computer%20Close%20Up%20small.jpg

4) Unplug the white connector going into the 4WD computer and remove the tape and protective sheathing.

Connector%20small.jpg

5) Make a 12" patch wire using your wire, ring connector and butt connector.

12%20Inches%20of%20Wire%20small.jpg

6) Locate the the #8 wire on this conector as noted above it might not be grey on all models. The GREY wire is located between a GREEN-YELLOW wire and a WHITE-BLACK wire.

gwlm-diagram.gif

7) Cut the GREY wire about 3 inches from the connector and connect your patch wire. Also tape off the end of the grey wire that goes into the wire bundle.

8) Next, locate a screw to ground the patch to. Any screw going into the body will work. The one I used is right above the 4WD computer and already had some equipment grounded to it. It&#237;s a 10mm brass colored bolt which is easy to reach and is an excellent candidate.

Ground%20Screw%20small.jpg

9) Install the the driver's side-kick panel andplastic strip.

The locker will now activate in 2Hi, 4Hi, and 4Lo and the indicator light on the dash will function same as it did before. That's all there is to it!!

The above pics are not mine and from various websites... I did not think to document my modification.

Last edited:

flyingwil

Parts Came in today! *** EL-Cheapo #3****

Well, after seeing Scott's truck up at the expo, I was jealous that he had all of his "stabilizers" on his cup holders since mine got torn up by Nalgene's and larger cups, and looked like this:
IMG_0583.jpg

I went in to the three local Toyota Dealership's to get a replacement and they all told me that the 2001 does not have any cup retainers. Huh!? So after some searching came up with the solution, < $5.00 fix, and < 15 Min!

Parts/Materials Needed:
  • 4 cup retainers Toyota Part 6695-AD011 ($2.32)
  • 1 cup retainers Toyota Part 6695-AD012 ($0.58)

Tools Needed:
  1. 10 MM socket, and extension
  2. Philips head screwdriver

Estimated Time: < 15 min

Procedure:
1) Remove the two screws on the center console just below the forward cup holder (1 per side)

2) Remove the two 10mm bolts on the aft bottom of center console

3) Remove the two 10mm bolts in the "hidden" lower console.

4) Remove the console, and unscrew the 5 Phillip's head screws and plastic spacers.

IMG_0585.jpg

5) Remove the old cup retainers and replace with the new ones.
This picture shows the difference in materials, (my only two that were not ripped off!) The new ones are made of a rubber compound as opposed to the old foam ones.
IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

6) Reinstall the console and all screws and bolts.

7) Enjoy, new longer lasting retainers!

Next is the 43 QT. Engel Fridge/Freezer with all the goodies! Should arrive this Tuesday according to UPS. I ordered the works:
  • 43 QT. Fridge/Freezer (MT45)
  • Transit Bag for the MT45
  • Fridge Slide (Slide Lok from Africa)
  • Engel digital freezer thermometer
  • Engel Hinge Lock

Oh, waiting is the worst part, especially when they are all supposed to arrive on Tuesday 2/14 (my Monday/first day back to work) and I have to be at work at 19:00. YIKES!

Monday the TwoZone compartment shipping arragenments should also be finalized and on it's way this week... more waiting.

Wil

Last edited:

flyingwil

Engel MT45 has arrived!

UPS was kind enought to drop off my Engel today! I was very pleased in the packaging and it arrived harm free!

IMG_0589.jpg

After opening everything and installing the handles, I installed the hinge lock.

IMG_0603.jpg

The lock was super easy to install.

1) Remove lid.

IMG_0600.jpg

2) Seperate Lock from spacer.

IMG_0608.jpg

3) Remove hinges on Engel, install the lock behind the LEFT hinge and retighten screws.

IMG_0609.jpg

4) Place the spacer behind the RIGHT hinge and screw back in place.

IMG_0612.jpg

5) DONE!

Next up was to put the Transit cover on...

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

Some Specs:
Model Number: MT45F-U1
List Price: $740
Power consumption: 0.7 - 2.5 Amps
Volume: 43 qt.
Equivalent: 60 cans (12 Fl.oz)
Weight: 52.9 lbs.
Inside Dims: 15.4" x 10.8" x 16.4"
Outside Dims: 25.5" x 14.3" x 20"
Freezing Ability: From 40°F to below 0°F
Temp. control: Variable
Available colors: Gray
Carry handles: Yes
Refrigerant Gas: 134A
Input rating: DC12V - 2.7A
Power Leads: 9' detachable
Fuse: 10A external fuse
Max Noise: 38 dB
Shipping Dims: 29" x 17" x 23"
Shipping Weight: 66 lbs.
Warranty: 2 years

Last edited:

flyingwil

Engel Slide

Along with my engel came my mounting solution, the Engel Slide.

This is one slick unit, as you can see all bearings are sealed.
2079781_73_full.jpg

2079781_74_full.jpg

2079781_75_full.jpg

The only mod to this is Plasti-dipping the hardware (Below)
2079781_76_full.jpg

I decided to coat the hardware with black Plasti-Dip to mitigate vibrations, and prevent scratches to the Engel's handles.
plastidip.jpg

At this point and time I only have one side coated and will do the other tomorrow since I had to go to work :mad: I also hope to finish the complete install tomorrow, if time permits. A write-up will follow.

Wil

Last edited:

flyingwil

articulate said:
How much grog can that thing hold? :beer:

It can hold 60 cans (12oz).:beer: The best part is that I will never need ice again, and wont have to worry about water getting into my food! :victory:

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Tell me more about this two zone compartment...

Also, I heard the slide takes up a large footprint, any chance you can take a picture of the fridge on the slide? I have the same fridge and I just want a reference before I start building/buying...

flyingwil

Mlachica said:
Tell me more about this two zone compartment...
The TwoZone is an add-on compartment to the Engel. It basically goes in place of your lid and your lid is reused on top of the compartment, thus increasing the size of the Fridge/Freezer. Your lid is then reused on the top of the TwoZone. There were Rumors on some OZ Forums of the compartment Voiding Warranty, but these rumor are false, and in fact Engel promotes it uses and does exhibitions shows with TwoZone. (I will take pics as soon as I get it). The TwoZone will increase the capacity by 21 liters (22 quarts if I calculated it correctly), for a weight gain of 11lbs. It measures 21.65" X 14.96" X 10.24".

Mlachica said:
Also, I heard the slide takes up a large footprint, any chance you can take a picture of the fridge on the slide? I have the same fridge and I just want a reference before I start building/buying...

It is a slightly larger Footprint, at this time I do not have a picture, but I'll get you one as soon as I get off of work. I'll post it up tomorrow for you.

Wil

P.S. I want to know more about your TACO!

Last edited:

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Wow, that's pretty sweet. I look forward to your review.

I've been looking for pictures but I don't really have mod pictures. You want a mod list and some snapshots of the mods?

flyingwil

Mlachica said:
Wow, that's pretty sweet. I look forward to your review.

I've been looking for pictures but I don't really have mod pictures. You want a mod list and some snapshots of the mods?

Yeah, Start a thread on your Taco!

Sorry I forgot to take the pic's amigo! I will try again tomorrow, and measure it up. I think for the Taco, the Slide Loc would be a better option...

I also have some Ezy-Move (transit wheels) on its way... should be prety nifty when it is all set and done. (see attached image)

Attachments

• EzyMove.JPG
    EzyMove.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,423

flyingwil

Engel Is In the Taco!

Well the Engel is finally installed.:victory:

It took me a bit longer than expected, but I think the end results are great. I was originally going to mount the slide in the middle of the cab, but with the addition of the twozone, I did not want to cut out the rear view mirror too much. I also became concerned about the height, and wanted to make sure I was able to get things in and out easily. I was questioning my decision to get the slide as opposed to slide-lok...when the light bulb went off! END RESULT: Mount the slide so that it sides out the door!

It slides out about 4-5 More inches than in this pic...
IMG_0639.jpg

Easy Loading and unloading now!
IMG_0638.jpg

It is close but not touching any of the door molding.
IMG_0641.jpg

Now that my Plasti-Dip had dried, I also installed the eyes for the hooks today, now that I decided to keep the slide. It was real easy, unscrew all four hooks holding the handle in place and place the eye brackets behind the handles. While everything was out I also installed the temperature gauge. I am impressed by the sensitivity of this thing. Just by my body being near it I could watch the ambient temperature change! To install I just took of the back and ran it through the clay. Here's some pics:

Note the temp difference because I touched it to move it...
IMG_0633.jpg

My Plasti-Dip job, and cutting of the transit bag:
IMG_0647.jpg

Shot from the Passenger rear door... Under the slide I am going to mount the Cig attachments, and route my A/C cord out so when parked in the garage, I can just hook-up due to the lack of solar.
IMG_0646.jpg

Some final Exterior shots:
IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

Now to wait for that TwoZone to arrive!

Wil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles