Flyingwil's Taco is growing up!

dbolton

Observer
Great truck Wil! I have a question - how do you like the Axim / Bluetooth GPS solution for navigation? My old Sony Clie has died a painful death, and I'm in the market for a new toy for the desk. Getting one that would double as a navigation unit would be slick :jumping: .

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Great stuff, Wil!
Looks good!
Can't wait to see it in person sometime...
Ed

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
dbolton said:
Great truck Wil! I have a question - how do you like the Axim / Bluetooth GPS solution for navigation? My old Sony Clie has died a painful death, and I'm in the market for a new toy for the desk. Getting one that would double as a navigation unit would be slick :jumping: .

The PDA is a great ground for expansion, however, not a PC. I love my Ax, but if I had to get a new one would opt for an X50. When I got mine it was top-o-the-line, and still holding par.

The pairing with BT devices works great and you can do just about anything you could do on a PC on the Axim. Check out Aximsite.com's forums if you have any questions.

Wil

dbolton

Observer
Thanks for the reply, Wil. After some cajoling, the company sprang for a x51 (624 mHz) with the bluetooth enabled GPS :luxhello:. I'll get it rigged up and report back.

The PC setup sounds awfully nice, though. Can't wait to see it.

Dan

flyingwil

dbolton said:
Thanks for the reply, Wil. After some cajoling, the company sprang for a x51 (624 mHz) with the bluetooth enabled GPS :luxhello:. I'll get it rigged up and report back.

The PC setup sounds awfully nice, though. Can't wait to see it.

Dan

Nice!! make sure and check out www.Aximsite.com forums if you have any questionson your new Ax!

Wil

flyingwil

pskhaat said:
Linky to the solar panel you're looking for?

Scott-
I am toying with a few different idea's for the solar pannels... One, would be the the soft solar pannels similar to this Brunton unit:
Solaris_26_L.jpg

and my other option is a Piranha hard mount solar pannel, which might end up on top of the tool box.

Wil

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Wil - the soft roll up [ edit - or fold up ] versions will give you more flexibility in mounting as your truck grows - and you can always position them for the best solar energy output - I have the mini Brunton 25 - I like it for its mini size and ease of use - I will be investing in two of the roll ups before the summer trips start. :sunny:

flyingwil

Desertdude said:
Wil - the soft roll up [ edit - or fold up ] versions will give you more flexibility in mounting as your truck grows - and you can always position them for the best solar energy output - I have the mini Brunton 25 - I like it for its mini size and ease of use - I will be investing in two of the roll ups before the summer trips start. :sunny:

I agree, but the solid ones seem to be more bang for the buck... It'll all change as the build progresses. I am leaning toward the soft one to mount on the rooftop tent using Velcro, but am a bit leery of theft with the soft ones. I did find a few hard mount ones that go into the sun visors on the interior, that might be up my alley, but that is pending the CarPC set up which is yet to be determined at this point, and goes back to me trying to blueprint my basic plan prior to modifying the crap out of my Taco....Ahhh the homework never stops!

Wil

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Either one you choose - hard or soft (did I just say that?) I think portable instead of fixed is the way to go. A fixed panel really limits your options to capture the sun and has too much influence on how/where you park the truck.

flyingwil

BajaTaco said:
Either one you choose - hard or soft (did I just say that?) I think portable instead of fixed is the way to go. A fixed panel really limits your options to capture the sun and has too much influence on how/where you park the truck.

Good point Chris! It's all up in the air at this point and time, until I do a bit more homework. Do you have a solar system?

BMAN

Adventurer
flyingwil said:
I agree, but the solid ones seem to be more bang for the buck... It'll all change as the build progresses. I am leaning toward the soft one to mount on the rooftop tent using Velcro, but am a bit leery of theft with the soft ones. I did find a few hard mount ones that go into the sun visors on the interior, that might be up my alley, but that is pending the CarPC set up which is yet to be determined at this point, and goes back to me trying to blueprint my basic plan prior to modifying the crap out of my Taco....Ahhh the homework never stops!

Wil

CarPC huh! Have you checked out www.MP3car.com? Those guys are geeks! And they're great. So many ideas over there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles