Flyingwil's Taco is growing up!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
mountainpete said:
Buggar me.

Make sure you install those brake lines before you try to flex. I almost ripped out the line while I still had my truck on the hoist!

Planning on it.. then will come the battle of the shocks... you think it would be best to wait for the rear bumper?

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
flyingwil said:
Planning on it.. then will come the battle of the shocks... you think it would be best to wait for the rear bumper?

Hmmm... I guess I'm not totally clear. Are these springs the ones you are going to be staying with or are they temporary?

If they are the ones you are staying with, go with shocks that give you the most travel out of those springs - and you can determine that without the rear bumper installed. I would just be worried about using shocks that are far too short for the springs as depending on how they are built could give you a heck of a lot of down travel.

Pete

flyingwil

mountainpete said:
Hmmm... I guess I'm not totally clear. Are these springs the ones you are going to be staying with or are they temporary?

My bad... they are a temporary fix... the stock springs and the blocks had my springs in a bad negative arch. The trade I got the NEW All Pro springs gave me a good solution to remove the blocks, I couldn't pass them up. Right now I have the stock Bil's on the truck, but they also need replacing....

So, my current debate is whether I should just grab some 5100's or along those lines and sell them with the rear springs once I get the swing out bumper, or what. I dunno yet...

erin

Explorer
I say, just go glass all around, 13" in the front, and I'll bet a good 18" in the rear. Full droop 3' in the air with the tent on the back, that would make a hell of a photo! :smiley_drive:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
flyingwil said:
My bad... they are a temporary fix... the stock springs and the blocks had my springs in a bad negative arch. The trade I got the NEW All Pro springs gave me a good solution to remove the blocks, I couldn't pass them up. Right now I have the stock Bil's on the truck, but they also need replacing....

So, my current debate is whether I should just grab some 5100's or along those lines and sell them with the rear springs once I get the swing out bumper, or what. I dunno yet...

Gotcha :smiley_drive:

I know you're not totally sold on them, but I'm going to throw in another plug for the Donahoe res rear shocks. With a load in the back and my deaver 10's, the ride is quite good. Why not just get a set of those and then you are set no matter what spring you use? Shocks really don't have much of a market value used so I would suggest just making one purchase that will cover your long term needs.

Pete

flyingwil

Thought it was one step forward...

I thought removing the blocks was one step forward... but....

Earlier this week I installed All Pro's 5" Lift springs on the rear of my '01 DC Taco. I got the 5" springs thinking that they would work out good after some discussion with Terry and coming to the conclusion that they sag at about an inch per 200lbs. So with my tent and rack (aprox 150 lbs) and my two Scepters, I figure that I would net about level or higher... hey anything to get rid of the RevTek blocks!

Here is the before picture so you can see what I am talking about:

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_1406.JPG

So on Friday I picked up 400 sft. of laminate flooring (got a deal i could not refuse at 89¢ /sq ft.), and had MAJOR rubbing issues on the freeway home. This lead me to think that I have one of the following two problems:
  1. I installed the springs in backwards -or-
  2. I got the wrong set of springs from All Pro

Here is the details as to why I think this:
1: I installed the springs in backwards: When I installed them I did not know which way to install them. One eye has a full military wrap, and I assumed this eye should be installed in the stationary mount (foward mount). When on the tires rubbed there was major rubbing in the rear of the wheel well, leading me to think that this is possibly the cause. Most springs should move the centering pin, and I do not see All Pro forgeting to move the pin.

2: I got the wrong set of springs from All Pro: If I did install the springs correctly, I would hate to see what my 255/85's would do to my rear fender if I tried to tuck up the wheel while off road! So if I had installed the springs correctly the centering pin should be moved accordingly (like Deavers and Alcans do) and allow the wheel to tuck up accordingly.

I had new custom U-bolts made, and installed them last night after the drive home with the rubbing issues. Here are some pictures I took while I was under the truck:
IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

I am just trying to trouble shoot as much as I can before I call All Pro on Monday. The springs look an inch or two too long to me (the shackle angle is a little too flat). I am betting more on the wrong spring being sent out than a bad install. The springs are stenciled with this part number: 4500T-AF-5... the part number ordered was 4500T-AP-PR-5 so I wonder if this indeed the correct part #. There is no instalation tech info on the springs on thier site, so I wonder if they require moving the front mount? If that is the case... I am screwed, and can not go back to the blocks... and wish I had known about this prior to garbage day and the old system going to the dump!

What do you guys think, did I just install the springs backwards :rolleyes: or do I have the wrong springs? :confused:

Clutch

<---Pass
I just took a peek under mine...my shackles look to have about the same angle as yours.

Maybe the wrong spring, or the center pin is in the wrong place.

Those All Pros look like they don't have an overload spring. Or do they?

Last edited:

flyingwil

Kermit said:
I just took a peak under mine...my shackles look to have about the same angle as yours.

Maybe the wrong spring, or the center pin is in the wrong place.

Those All Pros look like they don't have an overload spring. Or do they?

The angle of the shackles is too flat leading me to belive that the springs are too long. That is correct, the All Pro's have no overload spring.

Clutch

<---Pass
Do you have a hitch in your get-a-long?

I noticed the crutch laying on the cement.

Sorry, I am not getting the OME's any time soon...or I would send you my Deavers, which I don't know if they would even help. They are only 1 1/2" of lift. They sure do ride nice though.

flyingwil

Kermit said:
Do you have a hitch in your get-a-long?
What's a get-a-long? I do have a hitch and have a D shackle mount in it.

Kermit said:
I noticed the crutch laying on the cement.
Ha! That was my breaker bar extension for my socket wrench. I am like a ninja, and use what I have around...

Kermit said:
Sorry, I am not getting the OME's any time soon...or I would send you my Deavers, which I don't know if they would even help. They are only 1 1/2" of lift. They sure do ride nice though.
No problem!

I just got this in from All Pro-
All Pro said:
If the number on the spring is 4500T-AP-5 it is the correct spring for the 98-04, we dont have a 5" spring for the 05+. The part number on the invoice is a composite number, includes 2 of the spring part numbers you have, plus 8lg bushings and 4 sleeves. If the militray double wrap is forward in the stationary mount it is installed correctly. I have no idea why this would happen, other than a manufacturng inconsistency on the truck. I can tell you we have had 2 customers have trucks with this problem - on both the springs were measured and correct length (the springs werent built to a different length than our specs) but did this when installed on the truck. Keep in mind, with over a thousand springs sold, to have only 2 trucks with this problem, (now 3) and the springs measure out correctly, it isnt automatically the spring. It seems to be the same issue as the 95.5-97 models have with the shorter spring the way the shackles are sitting. Either way we want to help solve your problem.

The correct way to retain this spring and solve the problem is to move the front mount forward - I will be happy to send you out a pair of our front hangers and greasable bolts no charge to install onto your frame to move the hanger location forward, which will also move your axle forward and correct your shackle angle. Alternatively if you dont want to modify the mounts, we will be happy to return the springs back so you can choose another option. Either way we want them to work correctly for you, and ultimately for you to be a happy customer. Just let me know which you would prefer to do and I'll make it happen!

Terry
All Pro Off Road

:yikes: CRAP! What do I do now... After the rear bumper is on I am going to go to Deaver's or Alcans, and if I move the spring mounts forward I might get into this same perdicament when I go to install the longer term springs...

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Wil,

This doesn't feel right. First, the mil wrap goes in the front and that's what you've done. But it seems to me that the springs are just plain too long.

If have a stock set of springs in the garage. Would a measurement help?

Pete

flyingwil

mountainpete said:
Wil,

This doesn't feel right. First, the mil wrap goes in the front and that's what you've done. But it seems to me that the springs are just plain too long.

If have a stock set of springs in the garage. Would a measurement help?

Pete

Yes, since mine are in the dump... Actually the distance from the top of your shackle to the center of your front hanger would help the most.

Check out this thread... on TTORA...
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68821

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Ok... I ran out to the garage before you replied and got a measurement on the stock springs. This isn't an exact measurement because the bushings had to be melted out of the front (had to torch off those springs!). But here they are:

Hanger bolt to hanger bolt on stock spring: ~53 3/4"
Front bolt to centre pin: ~24"
Rear bolt to centre pin: ~31 1/4"

Let me see if I can get those other measurements for you...

Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior