Fluid Level Double Clutch Housing: 2017 FG w/Duonic

Howard70

Adventurer
Hello:

Replacing fluids in double clutch housing, gearbox and transfercase at 20,000 miles 2017 USA Fuso FG with Duonic. Removed clutch housing inspection plug prior to draining and found approximately 0.5 to 1 quart of fluid above the inspection port (averted a mess but just barely). This is first time I've removed the inspection plug on this truck, but on my previous 2014 I don't recall the fluid level being "overfull" (above the level of the inspection port). Workshop manual for 2017 suggests full is at level of inspection port.

Anyone have experience with the clutch housing of a duonic equipped FG being "overfull?" At first I didn't understand how "extra" fluid could be inserted, but the shop manual shows a third plug (no function suggested) higher than inspection port on forward end of double clutch housing. If that plug was used to fill, then the level could easily surpass the inspection port.

I'm wondering if Fuso hasn't increased the amount of fluid in the clutch housing to increase cooling of the double clutch plates? Clutch-fluid-temperature alarms are common in these trucks when trying to move them slowly over obstacles and I noticed we got fewer alarms in this truck than in the 2014. I thought it was just improvements in the transmission software and changes in the alarm setpoints, but increasing the volume of fluid could be another factor. Hoping to find accounts of a service or technical bulletin from Fuso or someone who has heard of a change, etc.

Thanks,

Howard

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Hi Howard,

Did you try calling Gene or whatever his name is - the regional FUSO rep? Past that I'd check with your local service guy to see if there's a TSB dealing with this, but I'll bet what happened is someone used that top plug as you suspect.

Zuber

Hi Howard, I have exactly the same truck with the same mileage. I'm wanting to replace the clutch fluid and filter too.

The owners manual says it's a 'dealer only' step, which I've never followed. What does the workshop manual say the steps are to change this? Maybe the level should be checked just after running the engine? Because of drain back.

If gearboxes/trans are overfilled it can create MORE heat when the components are dipping into and splashing the fluid.

Howard70

Adventurer
Hi Howard, I have exactly the same truck with the same mileage. I'm wanting to replace the clutch fluid and filter too.

The owners manual says it's a 'dealer only' step, which I've never followed. What does the workshop manual say the steps are to change this? Maybe the level should be checked just after running the engine? Because of drain back.

If gearboxes/trans are overfilled it can create MORE heat when the components are dipping into and splashing the fluid.
Hello Zuber:

I'm doing a simple change of the clutch housing fluid which usually requires approximately two quarts and replaces what is drained from the drain plug. A more complete exchange takes about 5 to 6 quarts and involves changing the filter, getting the fluid out of the cooler and the cooler lines, etc. That complete change is what I think they refer to as a dealer only job. I've followed the steps in the shop manual so wouldn't expect the extra fluid is due to steps before removing the inspection plug. The total fluid drained (just finished) was about 3 quarts (1 quart more than would come from draining with the fluid level with the inspection port). The real "work" in this job is re-initializing the transmission ECU so the transmission software re-establishes shift points coordinated by a plethora of inputs from various sensors. In my experience these duonics can shift like a dream when all is going well but if sensor inputs / conditions start to argue with each other that dream can approach a nightmare.

Howard

Howard70

Adventurer
Hi Howard,

Did you try calling Gene or whatever his name is - the regional FUSO rep? Past that I'd check with your local service guy to see if there's a TSB dealing with this, but I'll bet what happened is someone used that top plug as you suspect.

Hello Greg:

Great to hear from you! I hope you all are doing well. I think Gene has retired, or that's what I heard from someone at one of the dealerships a while back. I'll give Empire Truck in Tucson a call on Monday & see what they say.

Howard

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Hello Greg:

Great to hear from you! I hope you all are doing well. I think Gene has retired, or that's what I heard from someone at one of the dealerships a while back. I'll give Empire Truck in Tucson a call on Monday & see what they say.

Howard
Hi Howard, yes, doing well and up in Alaska. I see that EC has our old FX20 on consignment, guess it didn't work out for the new owners?

If you folks do manage to make the drive up here, look us up! We're in the Mat-Su valley, above Anchorage. On the way to Denali.

I seem to remember that Gene mentioned he was close to retirement, but hopefully his replacement will be able to drop some good information onto you. It was always interesting talking to him.

I'm pretty sure the complete fluid change procedure is in the Duonic service manual, from what I remember it didn't really require special tools - just had that crazy relearning protocol you had to go through. Another issue is that you'll need to figure out some kind of recirculation system to replace the fluid during the service job, or just plan on wasting some expensive fluid.

Anyway, say howdy to Heidi, sounds like you're still having a good time traveling in your EC and seeing some interesting sights.

Zuber

Hi Howard, yes, doing well and up in Alaska. I see that EC has our old FX20 on consignment, guess it didn't work out for the new owners?

If you folks do manage to make the drive up here, look us up! We're in the Mat-Su valley, above Anchorage. On the way to Denali.

I seem to remember that Gene mentioned he was close to retirement, but hopefully his replacement will be able to drop some good information onto you. It was always interesting talking to him.

I'm pretty sure the complete fluid change procedure is in the Duonic service manual, from what I remember it didn't really require special tools - just had that crazy relearning protocol you had to go through. Another issue is that you'll need to figure out some kind of recirculation system to replace the fluid during the service job, or just plan on wasting some expensive fluid.

Anyway, say howdy to Heidi, sounds like you're still having a good time traveling in your EC and seeing some interesting sights.

Hi Greg,
I looked at #20 over in Bend. I heard that those folks had a new V8 on order. Maybe?
Z

Zuber

Hello Zuber:

I'm doing a simple change of the clutch housing fluid which usually requires approximately two quarts and replaces what is drained from the drain plug. A more complete exchange takes about 5 to 6 quarts and involves changing the filter, getting the fluid out of the cooler and the cooler lines, etc. That complete change is what I think they refer to as a dealer only job. I've followed the steps in the shop manual so wouldn't expect the extra fluid is due to steps before removing the inspection plug. The total fluid drained (just finished) was about 3 quarts (1 quart more than would come from draining with the fluid level with the inspection port). The real "work" in this job is re-initializing the transmission ECU so the transmission software re-establishes shift points coordinated by a plethora of inputs from various sensors. In my experience these duonics can shift like a dream when all is going well but if sensor inputs / conditions start to argue with each other that dream can approach a nightmare.

Howard

Ahh, yes. If you do three of these 2qt changes, you'll have most of the oil changed out (percentage wise).

Did it smell burnt or look dirty?

Z

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94