Florida surf fishing

Madbodhi

Observer
Taking a 2 week trip down the Gulf side of Florida over Xmas holiday. Beginning at St. Andrews State Park and working our way down to the Keys. I don't particularly care for fishing....mainly cause I suck at it,but the wife and kids enjoy it . Any advice on equipment, locations, or any other tips would be appreciated. I'd especially would love to catch a shark.:victory:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I would not purchase any equipment. You need a guide service, they provide it all, and you have a blast. Really a guide is cheap when you consider what you would have to buy on your own. Good luck!!

get a book, learn some knots, and talk with the locals when you get there. surf fishing is a lot about reading water much like river fishing. you want to look for areas of flow and depth change such as inlets and deep spots along the surfline. you don't need expensive gear, you just need to know what you need and a little bit about how to use it. when i travel, i usually just like to pick up some cheap stuff at walmart.

catching a shark takes some skill or luck from the beach. i've never accomplished the feat myself, but it can be precarious if you're not ready for it. i know that.

start with some youtube videos and go from there. you have time to ready yourself.

Madbodhi

Observer
I had thought of doing a charter but we will be spending Xmas on St. George Island State Park and New Years On Cayo Costa State park. 2 nights at each and Cayo Costa is only accessible by ferry. We'll be stuck there and I figured alittle fishing would be nice. If I can get into a decent rod and reel for $100 or so I could always still use it at home on the Great Lakes so it wouldn't be a total waste.

Scalp 'Em

SGI is an awesome place to surf fish. You won't need a super expensive rod and reel, spend your money on fresh live bait. Fish a pompano rig (1 or 2 hooks) with a pyramid sinker off of the East End.

NIVEK_TURK

Observer
Man!! I'm so jelly of you right now!! I'm originally from Cocoa Beach FL. I grew up surf fishing on the regular, any six foot spinning rod combo with about 15-20lb test will work. As for bait you could catch sand fleas at the waters edge or get dead shrimp from any bait and tackle shop. The best two lures I ever used were Zara Spooks and Gold/Silver spoons. Softbaits are also good, go with any thing by D.O.A or Chartreuse color with a red head. We used to paddle out on our surfboards with a chunk of chicken on a big hook connected to winch cable for sharks. If I had access to my pics I would post some of the sharks we would catch, biggest was a 13ft tiger shark (took 4 hours to get in). If you stop at any small mom and pop bait shop they will be more than happy to get you squared away. When you get to the Keys I would strongly suggest doing a charter if you have the means. It will be the best time of your life and you will remember it forever. If your planning on staying on the west side for the majority of the beaches will be super calm. The only fishing I've done over there was a couple of Grouper tourneys. For sure stop in Crystal River, some of the best freshwater snorkeling in that area. I'm not sure how the license situation is now, when I was there you only needed one for fishing from a boat. Get on a couple of local fishing forums and ask around about what species is hopping. But definitely try and book a charter in the Keys. I wish I was back that way fishing for real fish, I love Colorado but the fishing is not the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94