Flooring Options in Composite Panel Campers?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey All

What is the general consensus on good durable long lasting flooring options?

The vinyl plank stuff looks pretty appealing to me, especially since it doesnt add much thickness, i am 6'4" and want to keep as much headroom as possible inside the camper but i have zero experience with anything of this nature.

I've used the rubber coin stuff in prior setups, and although tough, i found it to be quite a pain to clean and keep comfortable to walk on barefoot on in socks.

Ideas and thoughts?

Last edited:

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
We have a piece of outdoor/marine carpet cut to the size and shape of the floor. It is held in position directly on the sandwich panel floor with bits of velcro in the corners.
Nice under foot.
Take it outside and shake the dirt out from time to time then hit it with the high pressure washer a couple of times a year and chuck it out and fit a new bit every 3 or 4 years.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Thanks All

Now....

Ive seen multiple methods and schools of thought that have pros and cons...

when starting from scratch with a bare box...

lay floor down first while it’s a big empty square, greatly simplifying install

or

lay down flooring after cabinets and such are installed?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I epoxy coated our floor using a garage floor epoxy. That keeps the camper happy.
Then covered with a quality wool berber carpet. That keeps our toes happy.

If you drag any moisture into the camper, you will want at least some good size floor mats.
We have dogs, and travel in all seasons, so we chose to carpet the entire floor.
Nicer to walk on and is not slippery when wet.

And being such a small space, the high end wool didnt break the bank :ROFLMAO:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I epoxy coated our floor using a garage floor epoxy. That keeps the camper happy.
Then covered with a quality wool berber carpet. That keeps our toes happy.

If you drag any moisture into the camper, you will want at least some good size floor mats.
We have dogs, and travel in all seasons, so we chose to carpet the entire floor.
Nicer to walk on and is not slippery when wet.

And being such a small space, the high end wool didnt break the bank :ROFLMAO:

I've contemplated this, as majority of my travels are in the dirt, dirt roads, mud, etc... The garage epoxy idea seems great for durability and clean-ability as well!

I wonder how it adheres to fiberglass! Time to do some reading! Thanks

... starting from scratch with a bare box...

lay floor down first... or

lay down flooring after cabinets and such are installed?

i think you need to factor the finish flooring material & your skill/ courage to work on a finish surface.

if carpet or other fuzzy stuff, i would wait until casework is in. if a nice sheet of commercial grade vinyl is your choice, i would put it in first so all the hidden compartments have a sealed bottom. then use some luan underlayment, old refrigerator cartons, or whatever you can get, tape down the edges to prevent screws & debris from creeping under it, and do your finish work.

this might require a dedicated effort since the adhesive from any tape worthy of its name will become an issue to remove the longer it's down.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Your floor is already super insulated, water proof and very durable in it's factory stage. In theory you don't need to do anything.
We have used glue down vinyl in the past. It worked fine but had quite a bit of movement. Also scratched easy and was "loud". I would not do it again.
In our current rig, we are using 3mm cork tiles. They are again glued down and finished with 5 coats of a 2K poly finish. We LOVE IT! It feels great, it's quiet when you walk on it with shoes, very dirt friendly (can hardly see it) and as far as I can tell very tough. Pricing was comparable with other option. I'm glad we went that route.

We got ours here: https://www.cancork.com

Attachments

• IMG-5982.jpg
    IMG-5982.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
  • water tank compartment .jpg
    water tank compartment .jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 77

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Your floor is already super insulated, water proof and very durable in it's factory stage. In theory you don't need to do anything.

I know i've gone borderline crazy, but didn't you say directly to be careful walking on the floor and causing irreparable dents?

Have i completely lost my mind? :)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
i think you need to factor the finish flooring material & your skill/ courage to work on a finish surface.

if carpet or other fuzzy stuff, i would wait until casework is in. if a nice sheet of commercial grade vinyl is your choice, i would put it in first so all the hidden compartments have a sealed bottom. then use some luan underlayment, old refrigerator cartons, or whatever you can get, tape down the edges to prevent screws & debris from creeping under it, and do your finish work.

this might require a dedicated effort since the adhesive from any tape worthy of its name will become an issue to remove the longer it's down.

Excellent points! Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles